Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

MTV: The video vanguard award has not been retired

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

This year there will be no video vanguard award on the VMAs for the 2nd year in a row.
This is only the 3rd time in VMA history that the show will go 2 or more years without presenting that award, which has sometimes been presented as the Michael Jackson video vanguard award or as a lifetime achievement award.

This year’s VMAs is launching the VMAs inaugural global icon award.
That award, being presented this year to Foo Fighters, “celebrates an artist/band whose unparalleled career and continued impact and influence has maintained a unique level of global success in music and beyond”.

The video vanguard award has not been retired. MTV says that it looks forward to presenting the award at future VMAs.

But the global icon award arguably has 2 advantages over the video vanguard award for MTV. It reflects the growth and evolution of the MTV brand that leverages ViacomCBS’ massive global scale. And it allows MTV to sidestep the delicate matter of whether to retain Jackson’s name as part of the video vanguard award.

As for Jackson, many felt the Emmy-winning 2019 documentary Leaving Neverland cast the late pop star in a damning light. Many others would feel that it would be caving in to public pressure to strip his name from the video vanguard award.

source

I had a hole in the pocket of my favourite coat And my love for @Juanlittlem dropped into the lining

JazzGa

I think the new award is a good idea. Besides taking Jackson's controversial name off the award, many influential bands like the Foo Fighters weren't necessarily known for their videos or visuals. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

tylerjs
55 minutes ago, Emmanymar said:

Gaga better get it

Doesn’t it say Foo Fighters are getting it?

🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point

IllusionLover
1 hour ago, Kantakyakirno said:

Rename it Madonna Vanguard Award! 

Or Lady Gaga :reductive: but she already has the Tricon tho :billie:

13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes

Speak Easy
2 hours ago, Kantakyakirno said:

Actually why not? She technically has had a longer and more diverse career than MJ at this point. And she really is the only artist to ever reach the exposure/video catalog Michael did. If anyone has a comparable iconography to MJ, it's Madonna. And to be completely fair, she actually had the first iconic VMA performance ...not Michael. It was the first VMAs when she rolled around touching herself in the wedding dress to Like A Virgin.  In all fairness...it actually makes more sense for the award to be named after Madonna because who knows...the VMAs may not have ever become a big thing without her bringing the ratings with that first performance. I don't even think MJ attended the first VMAs. 

Just saying. Think about it!

Blastertoyo

MTV Video Madonna Awards

:ohwell:

please enlighten me to death

Blastertoyo

1 hour ago, IllusionLover said:

Or Lady Gaga :reductive: but she already has the Tricon tho :billie:

This year’s Pepsi Zero Sugar MTV Video Vanguard Award goes toooo

lAdY gAgA

lady gaga GIF

please enlighten me to death

PartySick
3 hours ago, Teletubby said:

Many others would feel that it would be caving in to public pressure to strip his name from the video vanguard award.

I'm part of this camp 'cause that whole thing was bullsh*t just like the last two :vegas:

But the VMAs (as well as most awards these days) are largely irrelevant anyway so I'm not bothered by it anymore.

Anyway, Gaga deserves the recognition regardless of what it's called :pray:

R u 🌈? 🤨📷

flyaway

Who will win the TRICON this year? 

-Camila Caballo 

-Lil Next X 

-Normandie (Official Culture resetter) 

-Olivia Rodrigues 

Chlorine Sevigny
Just now, flyaway said:

Who will win the TRICON this year? 

-Camila Caballo