Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Ben Stiller faces backlash over debate about nepotism in Hollywood

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8

ben-stiller.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1

Ben Stiller just got sonned. 

The comic star faced an online backlash after defending a new project written by and starring the children of several Hollywood A-listers — not unlike himself.

Stiller, who is son to legendary comedians Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara, took issue with producer Franklin Leonard sarcastically tweeting, “Hollywood’s a meritocracy, right?” in response to news of the film. 

“Too easy @franklinleonard. People, working, creating. Everyone has their path. Wish them all the best,” Stiller tweeted in response.

The project, entitled “The Rightway,” will be directed by Steven Spielberg’s daughter, Destry, and written by Stephen King’s son, Owen. The short film is also set to star Sean Penn’s son, Hopper, Deadline reports.

“Just speaking from experience, and I don’t know any of them, I would bet they all have faced challenges,” Stiller later added. “Different than those with no access to the industry. Show biz as we all know is pretty rough, and ultimately is a meritocracy.”

The 55-year-old “Zoolander” star’s second tweet immediately prompted followers to chime in, many believing the comedic actor is denying the role of nepotism in Hollywood.

“I know Ben *Stiller* is not on this bird app calling Hollywood a meritocracy lmaoooooooo,” tweeted author Preeti Chhibber, with another observer adding, “WRONG. Show business works off nepotism & access. It has NOTHING to do with merit.”

Source

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
enissa11

lmao the delusion of some hollywood locals, tbh sometimes is infuriating how some ppl cant see anything beyond their noses...

Mad Architect of Light

CautiousLurker
37 minutes ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

“Just speaking from experience, and I don’t know any of them, I would bet they all have faced challenges,” Stiller later added.

Honestly I don't know how they cope with the challenge of figuring out what to do with their parent's money and influence, must be hard 

tenor.gif

ProfessionalClown
2 minutes ago, ultravanister said:

are we citing twitter as a source again

Pretty much 

ProfessionalClown

I mean, he kinda is right to a degree tho. There is nepotism but it hasn’t been really that prevalent for a long time. I mean most of the time actors/actresses children aren’t actors or actresses themsleves. There’s barely a few I can even think of off the top of my head 

edit: 

Since everyone wants to not read my comment correctly I’m saying NEW actors/actresses. Let’s not talk about people who have had 20+ years in the industry 

it’s definitely not as prevalent as it used to be.

JusKeepBreathin

Yeah...I'm sorry but it's so difficult to break into films and it feels like cheating when I see the sons of Arnold Schwarzenegger and Clint Eastwood are in leading roles with very poor acting skills. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

JusKeepBreathin
14 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

I mean, he kinda is right to a degree tho. There is nepotism but it hasn’t been really that prevalent for a long time. I mean most of the time actors/actresses children aren’t actors or actresses themsleves. There’s barely a few I can even think of off the top of my head 

Nicolas Cage, George Clooney, Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson, Zoë Kravitz, Dakota Johnson, Colin Hanks, Michael Douglas, Emma Roberts, Tracee Ellis Ross, Angelina Jolie, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

androiduser

just wait til Gaga has a kid in showbiz one day, you'll be singing a different tune :teehee:

Chlorine Sevigny

I was just thinking about this watching American Horror Stories: Nepotism, starring Paris Jackson and Kaia Gerber. :triggered:

Spoiler

They both did a decent job though. :dry:

SevenWonder

It's actually easier to list actors who DON'T have family connections.

Ben Stiller is talented - certainly as a writer. But he's dead wrong. 

I guarantee you, his path was infinitely easier than mine (I'm a TV writer). And because I grew up in LA (though with no industry connections - my mom works in insurance), mine was infinitely easier than somebody moving to LA from Kansas. 

I've met people like Stiller. Deep down they know they were born on the third base, but refuse to admit it. It's frustrating. 

Healed My Heart
28 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Nicolas Cage, George Clooney, Drew Barrymore, Kate Hudson, Zoë Kravitz, Dakota Johnson, Colin Hanks, Michael Douglas, Emma Roberts, Tracee Ellis Ross, Angelina Jolie, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, 

Rashida Jones, Jaden Smith, Alexander Skarsgard, Mariska Hargitay, Lily Collins, Bryce Dallas Howard, Allison Williams, etc. etc.

She/her 💗💜💙

CautiousLurker
47 minutes ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Ashely Judd, Carrie Fisher, Liza Minelli, Quincy Brown, Enrique Iglesias, Jennifer Aniston, Kiefer Sutherland, Kelly Osbourne, Liv Tyler, Lenny Kravitz, Maya Rudolph, Miley Cyrus, Nicole Richie, Scott Eastwood, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Margaret Qualley, Jason Schwartzman, Isabella Rossellini, Jamie Lee Curtis 

:vegas:

ProfessionalClown
34 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

The only 2 that are new school actors are Zoe Kravitz and Dakota Johnson. Zoe is honestly the daughter of a major singer and not as much of an actor either.

what I’m saying it was a lot more prevalent THEN. Now it really isn’t. There’s a way bigger opportunity now.

BUtterfield 8
36 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

5 minutes ago, Healed My Heart said:

Rashida Jones, Jaden Smith, Alexander Skarsgard, Mariska Hargitay, Lily Collins, Bryce Dallas Howard, Allison Williams, etc. etc.

1 minute ago, CautiousLurker said:

Ashely Judd, Carrie Fisher, Liza Minelli, Quincy Brown, Enrique Iglesias, Jennifer Aniston, Kiefer Sutherland, Kelly Osbourne, Liv Tyler, Lenny Kravitz, Maya Rudolph, Miley Cyrus, Nicole Richie, Scott Eastwood, Gwyneth Paltrow, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Margaret Qualley, Jason Schwartzman, Isabella Rossellini, Jamie Lee Curtis 

:vegas:

:lmao:

Archived