💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

House of Gucci । Reviews

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

LilyLark
10 hours ago, Bradley said:

That's an interesting observation. I haven't watched The Crown but do you happen to know why other actors are nominated but not Olivia?

There's a lot of low key rumblings about the royal family stepping in (crossing the line). Some MP tried to argue that Netflix needed to add a disclaimer, and allegedly he did so on the behalf of Prince Charles. As @Meatsaid, the BRF hated The Crown once it started to be less flattering...

Also, Olivia doesn't really play the game (e.g. engage in the politics of awards season). She doesn't really campaign. IMO she basically gets nominated because a lot of people think she's one of the best-or even the best-actresses who act in English language films at this time.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
12 hours ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

It's clear that Kristen is going to win everything during this award season.. even the Oscar. 

I go back and forth. I could see Kristen winning the Oscar, but Chastain has been campaigning like crazy and in the end it is kind of a popularity contest combined with weird film industry politics.

LateToCult
10 hours ago, LilyLark said:

It's weird because on one hand I do feel like Kristen is fairly popular in Hollywood—like she's friends with big names like Charlize Theron, Jodie Foster, Julianne Moore, Taika Waiti, etc.—but on the other hand you have a good point that she's given multiple acclaimed/well reviewed performances where people thought she would get nominated for at least some of the precursor awards  (e.g. Still Alice, Sils Maria)...but she was not.  And those were in the supporting category, which is generally an easier field to get in. I still believe Spencer is one of her best performances, though.

I wonder if it is sort of a residual snobbery about Twilight. I'm not a big Pattinson fan, but he's also given several very well reviewed performances in critically acclaimed films and has been snubbed. Add that in with a refusal to really play the game-even if she's campaigning this year-and it would explain why, even if she has some important friends in Hollywood, she's been snubbed.

I suppose Charlize sort of fits the same bill. Seems like she has a lot of Hollywood friends, but still doesn't engage in the politics or the game...and misses out on nominations for films like Tully or Young Adult. Joaquin is another example.

*Chastain is sort of the opposite. I really like her as an actress and she seems like a good person, but she campaigns HARD. All the critics sneering about Gaga or Rami or Eddie Redmayne or whatever being thirsty...Jessica's done far more than any of them. She's willing to play the game and campaign.

I have this growing feeling that Kristen will lose at the Oscars and it’ll be because she doesn’t play the game well enough. I’m really hoping I’m wrong though because I would genuinely be happy for her to win. She’s had such a fascinating and complex career that it just feels right (to me at least).

Ga is borderline ridiculous with her campaigning but I think she’s kind of getting away with it because enough of the GP is in on the fact that she’s been extra from day one and people in the industry most definitely know that she’s balls to the wall. It sure would be something of she manages to pull off the win. Unlikely but in a stacked year like this anything is possible I guess. 

Curious. Do you still think Alana’s chances will be hurt by the controversial nature of her roll? I haven’t been following everything said about LP but the general stuff I’ve heard is all positive. I still think she’s very much in the race.

HookerOnAChurch

I'm just saying that in Italy both the press and the public are literally slaughtering the film. Most call it offensive and disappointing to say the least, even a lot of Lady Gaga fans are not enjoying it at all. Gaga's acting is barely saved. #myflopcountry :messga:

RAMROD
16 minutes ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

I'm just saying that in Italy both the press and the public are literally slaughtering the film. Most call it offensive and disappointing to say the least, even a lot of Lady Gaga fans are not enjoying it at all. Gaga's acting is barely saved. #myflopcountry :messga:

I am not even surprised. I think parts of it was about protectionism. One tends to be more protective with things from their culture. And then. As most know, the movie have bad editing and script, so I guess it is fair to have them reacted that way.

Let's just hope the remaining Gucci fam won't sue for defamation, that's all 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

HookerOnAChurch
12 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Unfortunately, Patrizia Gucci, Paolo's daughter, will take legal action. She continues to state it every day, in every interview. There is a lot of bad, bad hype surrounding this film and unfortunately here in Italy it is also damaging Gaga.

29 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

They can’t sue it for anything lol they don’t even own the name Gucci.

17 minutes ago, HookerOnAChurch said:

Unfortunately, Patrizia Gucci, Paolo's daughter, will take legal action. She continues to state it every day, in every interview. There is a lot of bad, bad hype surrounding this film and unfortunately here in Italy it is also damaging Gaga.

The movie explicitly states that it is ‘inspired’ by true events, that means that it’s not completely fact-based. They can’t sue them, and even if they do, they won’t be able to afford going against a multi billion company like MGM. 

CannaeDrive
21 hours ago, OnionGirl said:

3 more reviews from our list added! Now up to 62% :staymad:

We're far from the rotten now (hopefully) :bradley:

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

LilyLark
On 12/23/2021 at 4:08 AM, LateToCult said:

I have this growing feeling that Kristen will lose at the Oscars and it’ll be because she doesn’t play the game well enough. I’m really hoping I’m wrong though because I would genuinely be happy for her to win. She’s had such a fascinating and complex career that it just feels right (to me at least).

Ga is borderline ridiculous with her campaigning but I think she’s kind of getting away with it because enough of the GP is in on the fact that she’s been extra from day one and people in the industry most definitely know that she’s balls to the wall. It sure would be something of she manages to pull off the win. Unlikely but in a stacked year like this anything is possible I guess. 

Curious. Do you still think Alana’s chances will be hurt by the controversial nature of her roll? I haven’t been following everything said about LP but the general stuff I’ve heard is all positive. I still think she’s very much in the race.

IDK, I go back and forth on Alana receiving a nomination. It does seem like the sort of film Oscar voters might eat up (heavy on nostalgia, full of white people despite the Valley (while having some very white areas, was still fairly diverse in most parts in the late 70s...it wasn't the 1950s). On the other hand, a fairly prominent Asian media association has spoken up against it and the age gap....I think the age gap bothers more people than they let on (most of the critics on twitter have a sort of sneering, patronizing attitude towards anyone bothered by the age gap). The main critic from Vanity Fair mentioned that he found it kind of disturbing.

I feel like the age gap thing is being sort of unfairly treated by people who are pro Licorice Pizza. Nobody wants a new Hayes Code, but it does seem different than CMBYN, Red Rocket, Harold and Maude, etc. Harold's 20, first of all, and CMBYN was based on a well known book and the kid, while very young, was technically legal (17). He's freaking 15 in Licorice Pizza. And I see people defend it as "well, they are friends, it's chaste" but the ending....I don't want to spoil it but I feel like the ending contradicts the so called message (a kid acting like an adult, a woman in arrested adolescence). I will say at one point she flashes her boobs at him and I kept thinking...switch the genders around and have a man flash his d*ck at a 15 year old girl or have this be a gay couple and people would lose their minds.

My main issue with Licorice Pizza is I thought the film tried to depict it as sweet and even quasi romanticize the situation, while other films that show problematic age gaps don't really do that (as in red rocket, hand of god, etc.). I understand depiction doesn't equal endorsement, but when the depiction has a romantic angle...that's an issue imo.  And I think that could be a serious problem for Alana when it comes to the Oscars...on the other hand the Academy was giving Polanski a rousing, standing ovation in the mid 00s and Woody Allen was being feted as late as 2013.

Also, I didn't find her role particularly complex or difficult. It relies on a sort of charm and charisma, but there's not a lot of depth to it and very few 'showy' scenes. Frankly, I feel like any actress could have pulled the role off fairly well and received acclaim. Then again, it'd hardly be the first time the Oscars have awarded 'charm' over 'complexity.' And the fact that the media and film twitter are currently enamored with her will definitely help her as the Oscars are a quasi popularity contest.

LilyLark
On 12/23/2021 at 4:08 AM, LateToCult said:

I feel like she has no chance of winning, but at this point I'd be surprised if she missed an Oscar nom. I agree that she was (mostly) getting away with it because people know that she's extra and see her as following in Cher and Elton John's footsteps of sorts.

I think the mental health nurse thing blew up, which is unfortunate because a) it was kind of taken out of context and b) if one is familiar with her, she's been talking that way forever and c) even if they found it cringey or uncomfortable (and I do understand how one could find it very uncomfortable), going after people for discussing mental health is a line people should not cross imo. As in, other stuff Gaga's said is fair game (e.g. the accent, combat journalist) but the mental health thing...nah. Certain things should be off limits.

But I doubt it will hurt her. Film journalists were already off on their latest controversies soon after....Tom Holland, Licorice Pizza (again), and now the days long discourse over Don't Look Up. She also was way more restrained in that Indiewire interview that came after the one with the nurse (and Anne was being really weird in that interview), so unless she has another 'nurse' moment I doubt anything from her campaign will ultimately hurt her.

*TBH, tho, I was talking with someone on twitter about this...film twitter has been so obnoxious lately that I kind of wish Gaga would just be her most outrageous self and keep annoying them. The newest thing that's making me roll my eyes is the Don't Look Up thing...sure, Adam McKay is being kind of obnoxious but the critics are being super condescending in return.

Spoiler

I really, really hope this is incorrect...but I could see her unfairly being dragged into this mess if it's not just a dumb rumor due to the timing & the situation with Bradley from a while back (despite the way she acted with Adam was nothing like how she acted with Bradley)..and if it becomes a tabloid thing hurting her campaign.

anyway, I followed a few Adam Driver twitter accounts around the time of HOG and they're all in a tizzy as I guess there are rumors that he's getting divorced. that said, i'm not really a fan of his (i just know he has a joaquin phoneix kind of rep) so maybe those rumors have been around for a while? but i did type his name in the search bar on twitter after seeing that and it was one of the main things popping up :(

anyway, sad if true but as a Gaga stan I hope they wait a while-if it's true-to go public so she doesn't get caught up in that by the tabloids... the tabloids don't really care about him, so hopefully they won't pick up on those rumors be it true or false.

on one hand, if this is true i can't see the tabloids dragging her into it because she acted goofy with him and not at all like she did with BCoop. i think she arguably came across friendlier with al and jared.... on the other hand, gossip sites are crazy sexist and love to drag women into this sort of thing. and in that indiewire interview by anne thompson anne (whom i normally like, and i'm not the type to say journos are haters about gaga) she had this weird question that was like "you seem to bond with your leading men like Bradley and Adam"...so Gaga being some sort of Elizabeth Taylor slash maneater meets Madonna is defn. a thing some people think...

OnionGirl

So, as expected, new reviews as the movie premieres in Australia/NZ/Singapore this weekend:

- John Lui for The Straits Times (Singapore): https://www.straitstimes.com/life/entertainment/at-the-movies-lady-gaga-livens-up-house-of-gucci-the-kings-man-is-a-messy-period-epic (4/5)
- Sandra Hall for Sydney Morning Herald: https://www.smh.com.au/culture/movies/can-heat-seeking-missile-lady-gaga-save-this-movie-20211228-p59kjg.html (3.5/5)
- Sarah Ward for Concrete Playground: https://concreteplayground.com/brisbane/event/house-of-gucci-3
- Keva York for ABC News (Australia): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-30/house-of-gucci-review-lady-gaga-an-oscars-contender-as-patrizia/100716678

thatfoxyfeeling

I finally got to see the film (It released today in Australia) and oh my was the film a bit of a mess. I couldn’t believe I was actually bored midway through, me and my friends were just like “What the f?” the pacing was so bad it felt like I was watching paint dry. Gaga was terrific and really got into character, I actually enjoyed Jared because he gave the film comedic relief.

It’s such a shame because it could’ve been a really good film because it had everything going for it, at least Gaga has secured her acting career and will have many opportunities to play different roles. 

Archived