Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

House of Gucci । Reviews

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

CyanDante
28 minutes ago, agpuh said:

Just saw it. Are we allowed to post our reactions here if we steer clear of spoilers?

Yes post it, a spoiler free review. :vegas:

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
50 minutes ago, Fanta said:

The reviews and reactions are becoming a bit more intense, but I feel that was to be expected. We were kind of warned this would be a polarizing movie. People will either love it or hate it, and it's okay. I just hope Gaga pulls through and gets both the recognition and acclaim she deserves.

I would say 90% of the critics are applauding her, 5% do not care for her performance, and around 5% are just like...it's fine. Which is still very good tbh...very few actors have true universal acclaim (even Meryl rarely has like...99% of critics on her side) and considering the film is polarizing I was expected people to ding the acting, too, a bit more (the main criticism seems to be the editing/direction).

IDK, I feel like fans were a bit spoiled with the ASIB reaction. Just because the critics aren't eating it up as much doesn't mean Gaga's career is going to be like...hurt. It's not Cats or The Counselor, a lot of critics are still predicting her and Jared to get Oscar noms, and it looks like it will do well at the box office.

ConnorFilm
2 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

I would say 90% of the critics are applauding her, 5% do not care for her performance, and around 5% are just like...it's fine. Which is still very good tbh...very few actors have true universal acclaim (even Meryl rarely has like...99% of critics on her side) and considering the film is polarizing I was expected people to ding the acting, too, a bit more (the main criticism seems to be the editing/direction).

IDK, I feel like fans were a bit spoiled with the ASIB reaction. Just because the critics aren't eating it up as much doesn't mean Gaga's career is going to be like...hurt. It's not Cats or The Counselor, a lot of critics are still predicting her and Jared to get Oscar noms, and it looks like it will do well at the box office.

Exactly. Worse case? 50% on RT. Best case? 70%. This isn’t going to be a disaster with critics or anything. 

Twitter: @ConnorBehrens/Instagram: @ConnorBehrens

freebit

Litterbox isn't bad, seems to be doing good so far. Lettuce wait for the actual critics before we decide it's panned. :duck: 

The LMs who saw it are liking it too (not talking about the yaaas slay ones). 

LilyLark
2 minutes ago, ConnorFilm said:

Exactly. Worse case? 50% on RT. Best case? 70%. This isn’t going to be a disaster with critics or anything. 

This is actually pretty typical of Ridley imo. Most of his films as of late have fallen into that range on RT. If anything, if the film smashes at the box office—apparently right now it's on track to do $21 mil—that will help her arguably even more than if the film had more critical acclaim. $21 mil would be the second largest opening for an R rated film over Thanksigiving, and I could see it perhaps breaking the record ($30 mil). Tracking usually underestimates the total this early on....and I believe tracking grossly underestimated ASIB.

It's like... not a great film. It's fun, but there are clear problems with the script and edit that needed to be fixed cause the pacing is an issue.

Without going into detail/spoilers, the film can be broken down into three parts pretty easily. The first is the love story, where you see the courtship and also Patrizia try to win over the family. This section should have been half the length to establish that they're in love but move on to meatier bits of story. Also Gaga and Driver cannot pass for early twenty-somethings.

The second section is Patrizia at her most Lady Macbeth and that's worth the price of admission. Gaga really sells it here and it's the most interesting part of the story by far,

Then the last section kinda shifts to Maurizio's story and the business and the film loses a lot of energy, kinda like how ASIB becomes more boring when it switches from Ally to Jackson. Gaga is in a lot less of the film at this point, and Driver doesn't feel like he is committing to the role.

There are a lot of weird choices throughout, such as how certain scenes are connected (like how we get to the wedding), the music drops, and random switches to black and white, Also going to throw in that Leto was not good and Al Pacino was a better supporting actor.

I'm hoping this clears 60% on the critic aggregations.

Omg I’m constantly updating Twitter and there are so many great reactions from the general public. I can’t wait for next Friday :giveup:

Madam Margolyes
1 hour ago, freebit said:

Litterbox isn't bad, seems to be doing good so far. Lettuce wait for the actual critics before we decide it's panned. :duck: 

The LMs who saw it are liking it too (not talking about the yaaas slay ones). 

Not litterbox :air:

LilyLark
5 minutes ago, Madam Margolyes said:

For real, though, letterbox is always full of trolls...@freebit is right...that name is apt.

I gotta make a post on how fans can create a verified RT account and help that audience score as daedline, etc. mentions that sort of thing.

freebit

I feel like female critics are really liking it so far.

4 hours ago, Madam Margolyes said:

I can't take credit, lol. :ladyhaha: Someone here called it that, and I've been using it ever since. 

9 minutes ago, thehanyo said:

Omg that’s one of my best friends lol

You should’ve gone to the screening as his plus one :diane:

7 hours ago, agpuh said:

Then the last section kinda shifts to Maurizio's story and the business and the film loses a lot of energy, kinda like how ASIB becomes more boring when it switches from Ally to Jackson. Gaga is in a lot less of the film at this point, and Driver doesn't feel like he is committing to the role.

Is it boring because you expected Gaga's performance but it's not so you don't feel interested kind of boring or the story isn't drama enough kind of boring?

5 hours ago, LilyLark said:

For real, though, letterbox is always full of trolls...@freebit is right...that name is apt.

I gotta make a post on how fans can create a verified RT account and help that audience score as daedline, etc. mentions that sort of thing.

Yeah please! Is it hard to make a verified account?

Archived