💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

House of Gucci । Reviews

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Magui said:

(idk if are supposed to leave our "reviews" here)

Just got home from the movie. Finally i can read all the freaking threads at ease, without fearing spoilers. 

Just wanted to leave this here, cause my worst fear watching Gaga in a movie it's not to be able to forget her lol.

She sold me Patrizia, Gaga sold me Patrizia throughout out the movie, at her 20s, 30s, 40s...and that's the best compliment that i can give her, cause you see, any actor can sell me, more or less a character, but my level of scrutiny with Gaga it's too big, it's like subconsciously I'm always looking for her, it's a music video, an interview, etc, it's to much information about her in my mind. I still have this fear that maybe i can't make past her and she can't make me forget her. And that's not quite fair lol cause i don't analyse any other actor like that.

The things is she truly sold Patrizia, she lived and embodied Patrizia... subtle expressions, incisive and very expressive looks loaded with meaning, etc, etc, etc. I feel she is just getting better and better. I have my mind full of certain expressions during the movie that are that person, Patrizia, no traits of Gaga whatsoever :applause: ( Sorry for my weird opinion but i feel that the only people that will understand this could only be on this site :ladyhaha:)

About the movie, it wasn't boring, i was actually very attentive the all time, i feared that, cause all the reviews.  I laugh a lot, which i wasn't expecting. Definitely could have being paced or edited better. Although I might say it didn't bother me, to me, the movie could still be right to way it it is, but  i just think that adding two scenes more would make it much better. ( Will talk about it tomorrow when I have more time)

That said,  i enjoyed the movie, it wasn't the most entertaining, spectacular movie i ever watched, but it told a story, definitely love the cast, the cinematography, the music ( my legs were always dancing lol), the costumes, and the more important, had good time watching it. A lot people like numbers here so i would give it 7,5.

And honestly i want more movies from her, she's good at it, she totally has it in her, a great acting talent. There's no better feeling regarding being a fan of an artist than be surprised by it, like thinking you nailed this too, you really nailed it! 

I saw a fair bit of Gaga in Ally, but in this she completely melted into the character of Patrizia. You’re spot on.

In the fireplace scene, after she says “And you need to sort your ****ing business out.”, you see her mouth stretch out into a VERY Patrizia-esque pull, with the mouth lines and all. That’s one of those completely non-Gaga moments that just made me think - wow.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, BARKDANGER said:

However, the movie as a whole was a let down. The tone, pace, and story was all over the place without a central story or narrative to follow. I wasn’t sure who to connect with.

I don't think there is a central story, which is the point, it's about the rise and fall of Gucci family, you don't have to connect with anyone, it's a film to let you see inside a rich family, the fashion, drama and conflicts between them. If you go in with that expectation in mind it would be so much enjoyable.

LilyLark

Also, the critics who were giving it 1 or 2 stars...I don't get it. I understand the 4/5 star reviews from places like Variety, the Guardian, and the L.A. Times more than the 1 star reviews...interestingly I'm seeing a little backlash to the backlash (aka some critics going wait, it's got issues but it's not a bad film at all).  And this is coming from someone who did like the film a lot but can recognize the issues....

On here, we've talked about this in the past...how some critics seem to get really worked up over one or two movies per Oscar season and are almost unusually harsh on it (e.g. Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, Bombshell)...and I feel like House of Gucci is EXACTLY the type of film that fell in that sort of trap. It actually really reminds me of Vice in some ways...Vice was 65% on RT (I just checked, as I was curious about the RT score) and had some major critics give it 4/5 stars...while others gave it 1 star. Vice was generally an entertaining film with some tonal/script problems...and the best part was the actors (as in Gucci). And yet some critics ripped Vice to pieces in an over the top manner.

IDK, sometimes I feel like film twitter/critics (not all, a lot are professional) just tend to be hyperbolic slash jump on a hype train and go overboard with either praising a film (as in, acting like it's a masterpiece that will stand the tests of time) or acting like it's the worst thing in the world.

LilyLark
3 minutes ago, GipJo said:

I don't think there is a central story, which is the point, it's about the rise and fall of Gucci family, you don't have to connect with anyone, it's a film to let you see inside a rich family, the fashion, drama and conflicts between them. If you go in with that expectation in mind it would be so much enjoyable.

This. I definitely felt like the film was more about the family conflict over multiple issues rather than the actual murder...

LateToCult
4 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

So I just saw it...

I very much enjoyed the film, although I did think it had some issues (mainly the editing and tone). If I had to give it a grade, I would say it was a solid B/B+ while ASIB was an A film. However, I thought Gaga was excellent—I actually found her to be far better in Gucci than ASIB ( and I thought she was great in ASIB). She was incredibly magnetic on screen (the critics who brought that up were on the money). She absolutely deserves a nomination, imo, as she made the movie.

Al was also very good...Jared was...interesting. Sometimes I thought he was funny and great, sometimes it was too much. Again, I do think that's on Ridley, though (the issues with the tone). Al and Gaga were acting like they were in American Hustle, Jared was full on Ryan Murphy, and Adam was too sedate & naturalistic compared to the more stylized performances. TBH it shocked me that I thought Adam was the weakest link because of the group...imo he's usually the strongest actor (just not in this movie, though). Don't get me wrong, Al is a legend, but he often phones it in nowadays compared to Adam. But while Adam had the role of the 'straight' man, I thought he played it a little too 'straight laced/serious.'

Anyway, the crowd LOVED Jared and Gaga. A lot of critics have discussed that SAG ate up Jared and Gaga, and while I think Al deserves the nom over Jared...I wouldn't be shocked if Jared is the one who gets a nom. I doubt the film will be nominated for best picture, but I could do think costume design, hair/make up, Gaga, and Jared will probably be nominated (and I hope Al gets in there, too).

I will say after seeing the movie, I wish Paul Verhoeven would have been the director with a slightly different script...but the same cast. I feel like he would have leaned more into the camp/dramedy tones and played up the sex even more. And I suspect the longer cut (you can tell Ridley cut quite a bit) would probably elevate this film from a solid B/B+ to an A.

HoG is stomping on so much of the competition at the box office even though it’s long and rated r and Ga’s name is being directly attributed to this in a few articles. I hope this new narrative catches fire and puts Ga back as a real contender in the eyes of voters. :giveup:

LilyLark
1 minute ago, LateToCult said:

HoG is stomping on so much of the competition at the box office even though it’s long and rated r and Ga’s name is being directly attributed to this in a few articles. I hope this new narrative catches fire and puts Ga back as a real contender in the eyes of voters. :giveup:

It will help a lot, especially as this is a commercial film. Not to mention places like Variety giving Gaga credit for the box office (and praising her performance)....

TBH all the stans were/are focusing on Kristen...but I actually think the person who could (possibly) push Gaga out of a nomination is Jessica Chastain. Both have big, showy performances that are considered the best part of their respective films..both films are dramatic-comedies in the 60s on RT....the main difference is Gucci is dominating the box office (well, by COVID/streaming standards) while Tammy Faye flopped big time. That said, Jessica is apparently hustling like crazy and has the overdue narrative (and a long history in Hollywood versus Gaga who has only been in two movies (well, more, but those were basically cameos)).

BARKDANGER
2 minutes ago, GipJo said:

True. But as an audience with no background knowledge of the Gucci film. The film did not feel satisfying, to me or the person I went to see the movie with. And with ticket prices at 14 bucks, I expected a good drama or satirical satire. But it did didn’t deliver either. I just felt the movie dragged on. 

Did the movie show me anything at stake, not really. I contribute this to the time jumps I feel like this movie would have been better served as a miniseries on TV. 

“I’m on the edge of glory…”

LilyLark
1 minute ago, BARKDANGER said:

True. But as an audience with no background knowledge of the Gucci film. The film did not feel satisfying, to me or the person I went to see the movie with. And with ticket prices at 14 bucks, I expected a good drama or satirical satire. But it did didn’t deliver either. I just felt the movie dragged on. 

Did the movie show me anything at stake, not really. I contribute this to the time jumps I feel like this movie would have been better served as a miniseries on TV. 

I enjoyed the film a lot more than you (I thought it was good, but not great)...and I actually agree that the story would have been better served as a prestige four hour mini series on HBO or Netflix. There was a lot of juicy drama and backstories that were left out.

BARKDANGER
Just now, LilyLark said:

I enjoyed the film a lot more than you (I thought it was good, but not great)...and I actually agree that the story would have been better served as a prestige four hour mini series on HBO or Netflix. There was a lot of juicy drama and backstories that were left out.

The story, with an A list cast, would be so much better with a 4+ hour mini series. It would have gave the story much more room to breathe. 

“I’m on the edge of glory…”

LilyLark
10 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Also, Scott Feinberg (from THR) tends to be pretty accurate with his Oscar predictions (he talks to voters, etc)...more so than any other source (even Variety) He's the guy who was originally behind the anonymous Oscar voters (other outlets do rip offs of it, nowadays). He still has Gaga on his best actress list.

TBH I think she has almost no chance of winning...but I think she'll be nominated, esp. with the box office results...

15 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

This. I definitely felt like the film was more about the family conflict over multiple issues rather than the actual murder...

Since murder is the best known moment, I think a lot of people were expecting a "simple" love drama with some high-profile fashion moments and that one of the protagonists would be "right", so they could sympathize with them.

In contrast, the film is a story of a family and a family business, where the business story is very strong. The family members are very different personalities who want to assert their own ideas and interests, and there is no kind person that the viewer could love.

LateToCult
13 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

It will help a lot, especially as this is a commercial film. Not to mention places like Variety giving Gaga credit for the box office (and praising her performance)....

TBH all the stans were/are focusing on Kristen...but I actually think the person who could (possibly) push Gaga out of a nomination is Jessica Chastain. Both have big, showy performances that are considered the best part of their respective films..both films are dramatic-comedies in the 60s on RT....the main difference is Gucci is dominating the box office (well, by COVID/streaming standards) while Tammy Faye flopped big time. That said, Jessica is apparently hustling like crazy and has the overdue narrative (and a long history in Hollywood versus Gaga who has only been in two movies (well, more, but those were basically cameos)).

Grace Randolph will pull a Patrizia before she sees Jessica win an Oscar. :ladyhaha:

Alana Haim’s fresh faced newcomer vibe could also be a real threat IMO. Idk how much the overdue narrative can do for Jessica. Just ask Glenn and Amy. :selena:

Who is writing the overblown hateful reviews "walked out, horrible" on RT? And they're verified?

Do you guys think Gaga haters are paying to leave bad reviews and bring RT score down? Because the reviews sound way too harsh.

2 hours ago, stevana229 said:

I'm sorry but the movie was a MAJOR snooze fest. Gaga did amazing of course but the movie had zero plot.. they could have made it more exciting.. so much of the movie was so boring and uneventful 

Ok SweeTie, looking forward to seeing your 5 star review on RT

kris-jenner-gun.gif

LilyLark
27 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Grace Randolph will pull a Patrizia before she sees Jessica win an Oscar. :ladyhaha:

Literally wheezing at this comment. My god lol....If Jessica ever becomes the front runner over Kristen she better hire some bodyguards and give them pictures of Grace so they can watch out for her.

IDK, I think the controversy over the age gap and some of the other issues will hurt Licorice Pizza when it expands...and impact Alana's chances.

Archived