💓 Official visual for Ashnikko's remix of "Plastic Doll" 💓

tech

Apple Wins Patent For In Screen Touch ID & Face ID

Featured Posts

RAMROD

Early rumors about the iPhone 14 suggest that Apple plans to lose the notch next year, with in-screen Touch ID or Face ID two possible ways to achieve this. A patent granted today describes how both forms of biometric authentication could be embedded into the display.

It would even be possible to embed the front-facing camera into the screen, though this is likely to be a later development.

Apple explains that the current iPhone design has the imaging sensor next to the display, rather than part of it – though the notch design does somewhat give the impression of it being part of the screen.

Having both Face ID and Touch ID embedded into the display would be a way to keep everyone happy, and would also mean that Face ID could be embedded into Mac displays too, negating the need for them to have a wider bezel or notch. Bloomberg recently suggested that Face ID will come to Macs within a couple of years.

Source:

https://9to5mac.com/2021/07/27/in-screen-touch-id-2/amp/

:flower:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ Not in denial, I am defiant (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
littlepotter

They don't already have screen touch ID?

mercurial era
  • LMAO 1
FameHookah

Android had this for like 3 years now lmao watch apple do it untill 2023 and call it "new"

Anyways i hope its soon, wanna buy an iPhone lately but that notch is hideous and outdated.

WTF is MDNA
  • Thanks 3
alsemanche

So you mean.... the thing I already use on my current android phone? :air:

Soft, soothing, and succulent
  • Thanks 1
TimisaMonster

Apple is so behind :smh:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!
  • LMAO 1
boyerased

Eh who cares about touchID Android phones have it for years I’m more curious about hidden faceID sensors. The prototypes we’ve seen for under-display cameras were bad and cloudy so if Apple releases something like that it’ll be the most polished iteration yet. 

soularpower

I do not want this lol Face ID has worked so much better for me. Btw, just because Apple is doing things after other companies doesn’t mean they’re behind. It’s a) wonderful marketing strategy to keep users interested in their phones with “new” features, and b) Apple intentionally overdevelops features like this so they work almost flawlessly every time. Many times android phones have hundreds more features than iPhones, but most of them don’t work properly most of the time or are just features for the sake of having gimmicky features. I’d rather have an iPhone that does my daily tasks flawlessly than have an android that does 200+ other things I don’t need or want. Any variation of Touch ID included in that lol, for me personally anyway

before all else i am an nctizen
  • Thanks 4
Aetheryte
2 hours ago, littlepotter said:

They don't already have screen touch ID?

2 hours ago, FameHookah said:

Android had this for like 3 years now lmao watch apple do it untill 2023 and call it "new"

Anyways i hope its soon, wanna buy an iPhone lately but that notch is hideous and outdated.

2 hours ago, alsemanche said:

So you mean.... the thing I already use on my current android phone? :air:

2 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

Apple is so behind :smh:

Google secured a patent for this in 2008 and manufactures of Android hardware followed in years to come. There's a reason it says 'win'. Without the patent, Apple can't use it. And the patent needs to be in all major markets. To my knowledge, the only secured one patent in 2018 for it, but they had to file 3 for three specific purposes in all the major countries that they release their product in. 

Although I'm sure Apple will introduce it as new and revolutionary and Android users will laugh, in tech if something is patented by someone else, you need to secure one yourself or you can't use or even develop that function.

Actually from what I read, COVID-19 is the only reason why they even won it in the first place. I could be wrong, though. I'm not really sure why it allowed them to secure it.

Edited by Agunimon
SamanthaC

I just want a face ID that works with a mask on. 

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
Rocketno10
9 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

I just want a face ID that works with a mask on. 

You can do that with Apple Watch…. But who has the money:bear:

SamanthaC
1 minute ago, Rocketno10 said:

You can do that with Apple Watch…. But who has the money:bear:

The new ones or all? I have an older model watch and didn't know this.

The Adele of GGD's Member & Rain on Me Awards 2020
suchheights8
3 hours ago, FameHookah said:

They never call it "new" they just actually put out quality product that is secure and protects our privacy....Android can be fooled with a good HD photo of a person's face. Apple is never first to market with something new, they rarely have been - they just bring the quality to market and wait for all the other companies to make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. There is a reason they have the reputation they have and I know like 2 people with an andriod. 

Married the Night

So basically you’ll be able to touch anywhere on the screen and have it read your print? That would be hella cool. 

RAMROD
7 minutes ago, Married the Night said:

So basically you’ll be able to touch anywhere on the screen and have it read your print? That would be hella cool. 

That is the plan.

The ones on android right now is not pure on screen, since they actually put certain transparent surface under the sensor underneath so it is still readable when a finger touches it and it is affixed to only one part of the screen.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ Not in denial, I am defiant (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡