💓 Official visual for Ashnikko's remix of "Plastic Doll" 💓

society

Experts call weight-loss device that locks your jaw nearly shut 'dangerous’

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8
Posted (edited)

1fb89720-d9ae-11eb-979b-c3787e180504

Researchers in New Zealand and the United Kingdom said they were fighting the "obesity epidemic" - by locking peoples' jaws 2 millimeters from shut via a magnetic contraption installed in the mouth. The goal is to restrict wearers to a liquid-only diet.

The device has an emergency key to unlock it - just in case users have a panic attack or choke.

"It is a non-invasive, reversible, economical and attractive alternative to surgical procedures," the study's lead researcher said in a news release Monday. "The fact is, there are no adverse consequences with this device."

Experts who study nutrition and eating disorders disagree. Deanne Jade, founder and principal of the U.K.'s National Centre for Eating Disorders, said the device is like "a return to the Dark Ages."

Seven obese women were outfitted with the device for two weeks, according to the study. They lost an average of just more than 14 pounds in that time span, or about 5.1% of their body weight, but gained about 1.6 pounds back in the two weeks after the trial ended. The participants in the study all had a body mass index (BMI) over 30.

Source

Edited by BUtterfield 8
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 9
  • Sad 3
  • BUtterfield 8 changed the title to Experts call weight-loss device that locks your jaw nearly shut 'dangerous’
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lestyoufall

• Bunny is a Rider

• BUtterfield 8

• NFRatwell

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Researchers in New Zealand and the United Kingdom said they were fighting the "obesity epidemic" - by locking peoples' jaws 2 millimeters from shut via a magnetic contraption installed in the mouth. T

Imagine panicking because you’re throwing up and can’t find the key. This is the stuff of nightmares.  As cliche as this sounds, the best way to start your weight loss adventure is to love your body

People used to do this in the 80s

buzzkill

Its so dumb i just can’t take this serious

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
NFRatwell

I never heard about this. What a dumb idea, glad people are shutting it down. 

Healed My Heart
Posted (edited)

I don't even know what to say. This is so problematic.

Edited by Healed My Heart
She/her 💗💜💙
BUtterfield 8
9 minutes ago, NFRatwell said:

I never heard about this. What a dumb idea, glad people are shutting it down. 

• Like 1
  • Shook 3
NFRatwell
2 minutes ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

Makes sense why it didn’t actually become popular enough for it to be mainstream :laughga:

Cersei Lannister

Lmao what… it’s like something that would be on a MadTV skit :ladyhaha:

More wine 🍷
MonsterJay

17 minutes ago, BUtterfield 8 said:

True!

My guncle wired his mouth shut back in the 80’s to “commit” to a liquid only diet. (His doc actually did the procedure wtf)

My grandma would always tell me about it growing up because i struggled with my weight and she never wanted me to go to such extremities to lose weight.

LateToCult
Posted (edited)

Imagine panicking because you’re throwing up and can’t find the key. This is the stuff of nightmares. 
As cliche as this sounds, the best way to start your weight loss adventure is to love your body first. Doesn’t matter if you’re 200 pounds or 400 pounds. The first step is looking into a mirror and loving what you see because it’s you. If you don’t love yourself before you embark on that journey it’ll be much easier for you to fall into all these weight loss traps set up by people who don’t care about you. In the end you’ll end up hurting yourself more.

Edited by LateToCult
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1
Chromatography

sometimes i wish my fat ass would wire my mouth shut sometimes :cryga:

lestyoufall
29 minutes ago, Zeth said:

We that opposed to taking a 30 minute walk?

I’m opposed to this device but… what exactly do you think a 30 minute walk is going to do? Lmfao you need to do WAY more than that to lose weight. Actually, studies show that the fool proof way to lose weight is by dieting, simply changing your diet & sticking to it will suffice. Switch to plant based, there’s many options. Of course getting exercise in everyday too is ideal but just walking & nothing else isn’t going to do sh*t, just saying.

• Like 1
ProfessionalClown

Me with TMJ who is scared of getting lockjaw every waking second :neyde: