Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
celeb

Shawn Mendes says anxiety helps him to write better music

Teletubby

Featured Posts

Teletubby

Shawn Mendes sees a therapist twice a week but admitted that he prefers to be "a little f***** up" in order to write better songs.

Asked by Wonderland magazine how often he sees a therapist, he said: "Twice a week. Where I am currently in my life, it’s a lot about understanding you just got to let your humanity spill out, you know?

“You just gotta let it be there. I’m just trying to be there for myself and accept that. It’s hard. Sometimes it’s like I don’t know what I want to say."And sometimes also I have this weird thing when I’m making music I kind of wanna be a little f***** up.

"Because you’re coming from a place of angst and you’re making music and you’re anxious, but it’s also creating emotional stuff. It’s weird.”

source  source

i ❤️

Helxig

I've heard of this a lot where artists feel they write better music when they're less happy, and often feel afraid to deal with their anxiety and depression in case they lose their creative edge. I mean it makes sense, it's called being a 'tortured artist'

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

HEARTSTOP

Is this why he is in a hetero relationship?

Spoiler

just kidding :bear:

IDGAF

Roronoa

I read somewhere, or was it a YouTube video, why be happy when you can be interesting?

flyaway

Well, most artists get very inspired by personal struggles to write music. It makes sense.

Chromatography
31 minutes ago, HEARTSTOP said:

Is this why he is in a hetero relationship?

Hide contents

just kidding :bear:

don’t y’all get tired bringing his sexuality into every thread and making fun of him for it? 

HEARTSTOP
8 hours ago, Chromatography said:

don’t y’all get tired bringing his sexuality into every thread and making fun of him for it? 

not really, no, specially because this is the first time I did it, and it's clearly a satire of other people who constantly do it :oops:

IDGAF

ProfessionalClown

I mean it definitely makes sense. Most artists who create the best things have a little something happening up there. I mean, practically all of the people we consider the best artists of all time (painting) had bipolar disorder, depression, or schizophrenia. A lot of the best music artists have made their best albums/songs in time of desperation and sadness like Eric Clapton Tears in Heaven, Depeche Mode Ultra, and Blackstar by Bowie.

lavender blonde
14 hours ago, Helxig said:

I've heard of this a lot where artists feel they write better music when they're less happy, and often feel afraid to deal with their anxiety and depression in case they lose their creative edge. I mean it makes sense, it's called being a 'tortured artist'

It's 1000% truth. I am a poet and even have tumblr page with 20k followers. I was writing like crazy. I put out new content nearly everyday. Since I take my depression and anxiety meds, I haven't written a thing for a year now. Now I understand people like Kanye who don't want to get a treatment because they fear losing creativity.

Archived