Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
celeb

Tyler, the Creator facing criticism for old Tweets about Selena Gomez

Teletubby

Featured Posts

SlipAway
2 hours ago, weed said:

Lol Tyler was literally part of the pressure to be homophobic, when he was singing gay slurs I was 14 and my friends were singing the f*ck along.

Lmaoooo you can’t be still mad about THIS. If you were 14 at the time, you can’t seriously expect rappers at the time to go full BTW, let alone come out pfff fr

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Child
6 hours ago, Gaga2645 said:

I’m happy you didn’t have to grow up in an environment where you’re pressured to be homophobic in front of family in friends for safety. This is a very real thing. 

5 hours ago, weed said:

Lol Tyler was literally part of the pressure to be homophobic, when he was singing gay slurs I was 14 and my friends were singing the f*ck along.

I grew up in a homophobic environment and I’ve never said anything homophobic.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Mindblown

We've all said worse online or offline, at least he's owning up to it. General public isn't even talking about this so this whole post won't event affect him. 

Pharamon
23 hours ago, Bio said:

The tweets are creepy but I've seen similar comments on those hottie of the day threads :huntyga:

You know whats ironic? If one day one of them becomes ANY famous, such comments will come back at them, haunting them lol. ( ik not gonna happen cause we're all Gaga's peasants but still lol) 

Chromatislaps

eh... okay then...not too different from stuff GGDers post here.

also, off topic, doesn't he date Jaden Smith now? :oprah:

StrawberryBlond

I was listening to his album the other day and wondered what he was talking about here and now reading this and seeing the full horror of it. At least he was only a year older than her when he said this and she was of age but that doesn't change the fact that what he said was absolutely disgusting and concerning. He put out that first tweet on her birthday, for God's sake, even a week later would've looked less creepy. It makes it sound as if he was fantasising about her since she was underage, he had no reason to mention the legally part at all. And then there's the repetition of it. And the whole "whether they like it or not thing" had my stomach lurching. Yes, the reason all the girls he featured were very young and barely legal was because he was only 19 himself but is no one going to point out that one of the names was Dakota Fanning who was underage at the time? I looked it up - he put out that tweet in November 2010, when Dakota was 16. For some reason, he checked Selena's age but not everyone's. Yes, I get that he was trying to perform masculinity in a hypersexual, heteronormative world but if you're going to do that, just say it behind closed doors. Typing it online to be recorded forevermore is monumentally stupid. He's never fully come out, by the way, he seems bi. He speaks about being with women on the album he just released. So, I think anyone saying he gets a pass for trying to do male posturing to survive may not be entirely accurate. I give him props for apologising personally which comes across as more genuine but wow, this has left a really bitter taste in the mout hand I don't know if I can truly look at someone the same way again when I know stuff like this.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:25 PM, Lilbit said:

Just say y’all are racist. 
every white pop star gets the approval from you guys. It’s so sad. He literally says he apologized to her personally. He doesn’t have to perform it for you all. 
Every time a thread is made about a black artist the real hate comes out. 
can’t wait for the next hottie thread where you all say even nastier **** about a white man. 

It's nowhere near as simple as that nor is it everyone's reasoning. Some of us, like myself, are women and have every right to be disgusted by what he said and have it be nothing to do with race. Trust me, I'm on the warpath with men of all races who say this kinda stuff. So often I see women's concern get shot down by men and for it to be chalked up to "you're making a fuss out of nothing" and having her motives questioned. If a white person made racist tweets that annoyed POC, what you tell them that they should just admit that they don't like white people? Every disadvantaged group has a right to be offended when their people are spoken badly of. For some reason, sexism isn't taken as seriously as other forms of hate and I hope one day, every sexist wrongdoing will be treated with the same level of outrage as other forms of hatred receive.

Lilbit
19 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I was listening to his album the other day and wondered what he was talking about here and now reading this and seeing the full horror of it. At least he was only a year older than her when he said this and she was of age but that doesn't change the fact that what he said was absolutely disgusting and concerning. He put out that first tweet on her birthday, for God's sake, even a week later would've looked less creepy. It makes it sound as if he was fantasising about her since she was underage, he had no reason to mention the legally part at all. And then there's the repetition of it. And the whole "whether they like it or not thing" had my stomach lurching. Yes, the reason all the girls he featured were very young and barely legal was because he was only 19 himself but is no one going to point out that one of the names was Dakota Fanning who was underage at the time? I looked it up - he put out that tweet in November 2010, when Dakota was 16. For some reason, he checked Selena's age but not everyone's. Yes, I get that he was trying to perform masculinity in a hypersexual, heteronormative world but if you're going to do that, just say it behind closed doors. Typing it online to be recorded forevermore is monumentally stupid. He's never fully come out, by the way, he seems bi. He speaks about being with women on the album he just released. So, I think anyone saying he gets a pass for trying to do male posturing to survive may not be entirely accurate. I give him props for apologising personally which comes across as more genuine but wow, this has left a really bitter taste in the mout hand I don't know if I can truly look at someone the same way again when I know stuff like this.

It's nowhere near as simple as that nor is it everyone's reasoning. Some of us, like myself, are women and have every right to be disgusted by what he said and have it be nothing to do with race. Trust me, I'm on the warpath with men of all races who say this kinda stuff. So often I see women's concern get shot down by men and for it to be chalked up to "you're making a fuss out of nothing" and having her motives questioned. If a white person made racist tweets that annoyed POC, what you tell them that they should just admit that they don't like white people? Every disadvantaged group has a right to be offended when their people are spoken badly of. For some reason, sexism isn't taken as seriously as other forms of hate and I hope one day, every sexist wrongdoing will be treated with the same level of outrage as other forms of hatred receive.

His tweets being offensive to women is why we’re all here. He specifically targeted a woman. Not sure why you think that’s lost on anyone…

StrawberryBlond
5 minutes ago, Lilbit said:

His tweets being offensive to women is why we’re all here. He specifically targeted a woman. Not sure why you think that’s lost on anyone…

Your entire post that I quoted claimed we were only mad at him because he's black and that we'd accept the same behaviour if a white man did it and are ok with gay men saying similar stuff about other gay men. That's what I'm directly referencing and challenging. Not all of are to be put under that generalisation. Sometimes, we're just annoyed at someone being sexist because they're being sexist and no other reason. Taking the focus off it and deciding that the outrage comes from a completely different place is one of many reasons why sexism struggles to be taken seriously.

Agunimon
22 hours ago, Anderson123 said:

Twitter is the one social media where you post any random sh!t you think of without having to explain yourself.

Until they're found 10 years later by angry fans of other artists whose song underperformed against whoever's tweet is being brought up. 

Lilbit
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Your entire post that I quoted claimed we were only mad at him because he's black and that we'd accept the same behaviour if a white man did it and are ok with gay men saying similar stuff about other gay men. That's what I'm directly referencing and challenging. Not all of are to be put under that generalisation. Sometimes, we're just annoyed at someone being sexist because they're being sexist and no other reason. Taking the focus off it and deciding that the outrage comes from a completely different place is one of many reasons why sexism struggles to be taken seriously.

You stated why you feel it offends you. Cool. I’m telling you how I feel about the pattern of outrage I see. Moving on…

StrawberryBlond
1 minute ago, Lilbit said:

You stated why you feel it offends you. Cool. I’m telling you how I feel about the pattern of outrage I see. Moving on…

And I'm also pointing out a pattern I see of accusing members of racism whenever a POC celebrity is rightfully criticised for something that has nothing to do with race. I find it highly infuriating that the motives for our outrage are assumed to be from a malicious place that has no bearing on the issue they're actually being criticised for. Just for once, I'd like people to concentrate on the topic at hand and the bigger picture and stop looking for stuff that isn't there. I really don't see mass leniency on white celebrities acting similarly so I don't know where you're seeing this pattern. Some of us actually treat everyone the same and want our outrage viewed as equal towards everyone as well.

Lilbit
3 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

And I'm also pointing out a pattern I see of accusing members of racism whenever a POC celebrity is rightfully criticised for something that has nothing to do with race. I find it highly infuriating that the motives for our outrage are assumed to be from a malicious place that has no bearing on the issue they're actually being criticised for. Just for once, I'd like people to concentrate on the topic at hand and the bigger picture and stop looking for stuff that isn't there. I really don't see mass leniency on white celebrities acting similarly so I don't know where you're seeing this pattern. Some of us actually treat everyone the same and want our outrage viewed as equal towards everyone as well.

Famous words from the white/white queer community. 

Archived