💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

George Michael's Estate on Lorde: He Would've Been Flattered

RAMROD

Featured Posts

RAMROD

There's something you should know! George Michael's Estate says the late musician would've been perfectly happy with comparisons to Lorde's new song, "Solar Power."

In a statement posted to Michael's website on June 18, the estate wrote: "We are aware that many people are making a connection between 'Freedom '90' by George Michael and 'Solar Power' by Lorde, which George would have been flattered to hear, so on behalf of one great artist to a fellow artist, we wish her every success with the single."

When the New Zealand singer-songwriter dropped "Solar Power" on June 10 -- four years after she released Melodrama in 2017 -- fans immediately compared the tune to Michael's 1990 release "Freedom! 90." "so lorde's new song is a love letter to george michael and it is v. good," tweeted oneperson after the song's arrival. Added another, "started off the day w solar power and now i realize it sounds like freedom! '90."

Despite the similarities fans heard in the two songs, Lorde herself revealed the actual inspiration for the title track off her upcoming third studio album in an interview with Apple Music's Zane Lowe ... and it wasn't the late Wham! singer's song. It was something by rockers Primal Scream.

Source:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9589822/george-michael-estate-lorde-solar-power-reaction

:flower:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ AND I'M VICTORIA, MALCOLM! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

PartySick

Most (if not all) music is derivative. I think people get too caught up in accusing artists of lifting/stealing music :laughga:

Glad to see she's not catching actual flack for it, it's just fans comparing them harmlessly.

💚

Rat Boy

I’m sure George Michael’s team emailed her to give her their blessing.

"dont trust this crooked manipulative rat!" - @NichuuB

alsemanche
57 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Most (if not all) music is derivative. I think people get too caught up in accusing artists of lifting/stealing music :laughga:

Glad to see she's not catching actual flack for it, it's just fans comparing them harmlessly.

Ive seen some posts and tweets saying she should be sued for it actually :billie: I think that's why George's estate made this statement. People have too much time on their hands istg

Soft, soothing, and succulent

flyaway
5 minutes ago, robboadam said:

If only Gaga had that support/love from people in February 2011

black and white wink GIF

Prostitute Barbie

Coincidentally it also uses the same chord progression as Born This Way :ohwell: I can definitely hear similarities between it and George Michael’s song but honestly who cares lol glad they said this 

Aussie

I’m a massive George Michael fan and loved Lorde’s Solar Power but I did not even draw those comparisons 🤷🏻‍♂️

Archived