Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Disney DRAGGED for being fake woke during Pride Month

Werk

Featured Posts

alsemanche
21 minutes ago, HuffsAhoy said:

Yes its SO important for me to see a gay animated cartoon character. Oh my poor life can only be validated if I see gay people in movies and tv shows, woe is me :ladyhaha:

Easy for you to say, not easy for others who have no one to look up to and nothing that even attempts to normalize their existence. This is an extremely privileged take.

Soft, soothing, and succulent

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HuffsAhoy
1 minute ago, alsemanche said:

Easy for you to say, not easy for others who have no one to look up to and nothing that even attempts to normalize their existence. This is an extremely privileged take.

I do acknowledge it comes from a position of extreme privilege. But what I will not tolerate is the slander that I'm seeing when I know first hand the company is not that way. None of you have ever worked for them, so you have no right to say whether or not they're anti-gay. That's the issue I have. Maybe the movie division and the theme park division are different beasts? Maybe that's where I am missing the connection? I will die on the hill defending Disney from liberals who claim they're not progressive enough, when they do more than any other major company in the USA. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Pennywise
1 hour ago, HuffsAhoy said:

Yes its SO important for me to see a gay animated cartoon character. Oh my poor life can only be validated if I see gay people in movies and tv shows, woe is me :ladyhaha:

Girlie, what do you want me to say? OK boomer? I am sorry that you've got all this self-hatred and a "pick me" personality? :laughga: 

Like, I hope one day you understand that you do not have to appease the straights and/or the majority in order to find yourself a place in the society.

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Not The Real Gaga
37 minutes ago, HuffsAhoy said:

What's your point? There is a difference between crying about not having a gay character in a movie and having a safe space in a rural Republican area, where a transgender woman was recently murdered. :ohwell: Only white, elite LGBT care about such trite things. I can assure you these kids that are literally trying to just exist here don't care whether or not they can see themselves in a tv show 

I am from a rural and pretty conservative area myself. I know it's not easy to live in such places. 

Representation and inclusion still helps to normalise LGBTQ-people, though. Modern culture has the potential to reach big audiences, start conversations and gain acceptance. At least, in my experience. 

Small steps at the time, and of course, you won't convince everybody, but not arguing in favor of more visibility of LGBTQ-people, just doesn't make sense to me. 

In a way it's like maintaining the toxic areas where we are unsafe, arguing with the people that hate and don't accept us in stead of trying to change the situation.

In my opinion, we should support do everything to normalise LGBTQ-people. Representation in content is part of that.

HuffsAhoy
1 minute ago, Pennywise said:

Girlie, what do you want me to say? OK boomer? I am sorry that you've got all this self-hatred and a "pick me" personality? :laughga: 

Like, I hope one day you understand that you do not have to appease the straights and/or the majority in order to find yourself a place in the society.

I mean, considering I am about as flaming as they get and live in the middle of Trump country, I'm not sure I'm exactly appeasing the straights lol. I suppose I still have a lot of "un-learning" to do when it comes to certain issues. But I get where you are coming from. 

LOVE JUNKIE
14 hours ago, CautiousLurker said:

Ok but... I haven't even watched Star Wars and I wanna see FinnPoe happen after hearing whats-his-face talk about it - that jacket scene looked so wholesome :bradley:

lmao same. I never cared about Star Wars until that moment. I can only assume everyone working on the creative side was planning for them to have a romantic relationship, but Disney execs said no. F*ck*ng pigs :messga:

on a three day bender

Oriane
3 hours ago, HuffsAhoy said:

God damn this ignorance about Disney's LGBT work is infuriating. Disney's LGBT advocacy is not done behind closed doors, it's been very public for years. Just because you people are more concerned over "representation" in some mediocre movies and tv shows does change this fact. Do the research and stop believing everything that "woke" Twitter tries to shove down your throat. Ya'll are no different than MAGA's who believe everything Trump says :coffee:

"behind closed doors" was a poor word choice, I didn't mean they were hiding it, just that their action was limited to something they did less visibly to the public. (I think the expression I was looking for was "behind the scenes"?) If I ask anyone I know, I'm sure they'll say they had no idea. Probably nobody knows except for Disney fans and people who are particularly invested in LGBT activism. It's not something people care about when it comes to companies, and when it comes to Disney, people are just going to care about their next movie or whatever. It's very good that they're doing activism but if it doesn't reflect on what people actually see, especially on the one thing they have a huge power on and that can influence people's perception, which is the content of their movies, it's just hypocritical. It's totally fine to keep on making every option for characters to have either a straight love interest or nothing at all but whew, let's not include a gay character explicitly, it might drive some people away. Just keep everybody happy :vegas:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

skaxboy

They have been pretty gay friendly for as long as I can remember. Slowly they are adding gay characters to their shows and movies but I never understand why it’s always Disney that takes the criticism for everything. They have been happy to welcome folks for the Gay Days events at their parks also. 

Universal Studios Orlando tweeted “Love Is Universal” with a few rainbow hearts and that was reposted by the main Universal Pictures account. Their parks have been selling pride merch that says Love Is Universal also. They don’t cater just to families and such and looking at their LGBT community in their movies they don’t have too much representation either. They listed Night School as having a black lesbian character but she also makes a joke “You need to keep your booty closed, that’s what you need to do. You in jail!” to Kevin Harts character. I feel like that’s fake wokeness as well, to say Happy Pride but not actuall

https://www.glaad.org/sri/2019/universal-pictures

I have a bigger problem with individuals in those comment sections tho. I had a back and forth with someone who said they do not support LGBT people but they have friends who are gay. They were upset because the gays stole the rainbow from God. I asked them how their friendship with their gay friend worked and if they get happy when their gay friend meets a significant other. She said “I am happy they met someone but I don’t support their lifestyle.” Like that it one of the most confusing things I’ve heard, like girl just say you’re a homophobe and move on. 

River
19 minutes ago, skaxboy said:

They have been pretty gay friendly for as long as I can remember. Slowly they are adding gay characters to their shows and movies but I never understand why it’s always Disney that takes the criticism for everything. They have been happy to welcome folks for the Gay Days events at their parks also. 

Universal Studios Orlando tweeted “Love Is Universal” with a few rainbow hearts and that was reposted by the main Universal Pictures account. Their parks have been selling pride merch that says Love Is Universal also. They don’t cater just to families and such and looking at their LGBT community in their movies they don’t have too much representation either. They listed Night School as having a black lesbian character but she also makes a joke “You need to keep your booty closed, that’s what you need to do. You in jail!” to Kevin Harts character. I feel like that’s fake wokeness as well, to say Happy Pride but not actuall

https://www.glaad.org/sri/2019/universal-pictures

I have a bigger problem with individuals in those comment sections tho. I had a back and forth with someone who said they do not support LGBT people but they have friends who are gay. They were upset because the gays stole the rainbow from God. I asked them how their friendship with their gay friend worked and if they get happy when their gay friend meets a significant other. She said “I am happy they met someone but I don’t support their lifestyle.” Like that it one of the most confusing things I’ve heard, like girl just say you’re a homophobe and move on. 

while the Universal Japan and Singapore twitters didn't tweet anything

https://twitter.com/usj_official

https://twitter.com/rwsentosa

we can't just clap our hands and give awards when it's western-centered but then when they need to show support in the most needed place, they pay us and most importantly, the LGBTQ+ from those countries a 100% dust, like they don't exist.

How can they celebrate pride while they have a park in Singapore where same sex sexual activity between men is still illegal?

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Galvon
16 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I think there is actually alot of queer representation in Disney movies. Even if sometimes I think they are not what I'd like to see.

To me Hades was queer so was Jafar, same for Gaston's buddy in Beauty and the Beast. The sales man in Frozen that shows his family at the end of the movie it shows him with his husband and kids. Elsa is herself is queer so is Merida. In the Disney show Sofia the First the butler is gay as hell. I mean hello he is voiced by Tim Gunn. 

I really do miss the relationship in Star Wars but I don't think it was malicious in it's intent to censor  gays. 

Also Captain Hook, the genie in Aladdin, Pleakley in Lilo and Stich, Terk in Tarzan, Scar, Timon and Pumbaa maybe, Muchu in Mulan, Ursula being inspired by a drag queen. Just guessing tho, since non of them are confirmed to be queer right?

Stephen
16 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

I think there is actually alot of queer representation in Disney movies. Even if sometimes I think they are not what I'd like to see.

To me Hades was queer so was Jafar, same for Gaston's buddy in Beauty and the Beast. The sales man in Frozen that shows his family at the end of the movie it shows him with his husband and kids. Elsa is herself is queer so is Merida. In the Disney show Sofia the First the butler is gay as hell. I mean hello he is voiced by Tim Gunn. 

I really do miss the relationship in Star Wars but I don't think it was malicious in it's intent to censor  gays. 

Just want to say that's not queer representation; that's queer coding. Not the same thing at all and we shouldn't have to settle for crumbs anymore.

LaLa
3 hours ago, HuffsAhoy said:

Maybe the movie division and the theme park division are different beasts? Maybe that's where I am missing the connection?

From reading your posts here, I think this is it. Relatively few people in the world will know what it's like to work for Disney, whereas a whole lot more have seen Disney movies and felt the lack of representation. 

It's great that at a corporate level they are LGBTQ positive, and wonderful that they do local activism. But most people won't see that, they only see that they are unwilling to have gay characters in a Star Wars movie for fear of pissing people off/losing money. That they are happy to tweet out a Pride message in some markets but not others, depending on what's best for their public image. 

If media representation doesn't matter as much to you personally as the community work you've seen them do that's okay to say. But realize that for lots of people around the word seeing a prominent gay character in a Disney cartoon would make a difference in their lives, and it's not just "woke twitter liberal" bullsht or whatever. Calling them out for their shortcomings will hopefully help more them forward. 

HuffsAhoy
5 minutes ago, LaLa said:

From reading your posts here, I think this is it. Relatively few people in the world will know what it's like to work for Disney, whereas a whole lot more have seen Disney movies and felt the lack of representation. 

It's great that at a corporate level they are LGBTQ positive, and wonderful that they do local activism. But most people won't see that, they only see that they are unwilling to have gay characters in a Star Wars movie for fear of pissing people off/losing money. That they are happy to tweet out a Pride message in some markets but not others, depending on what's best for their public image. 

If media representation doesn't matter as much to you personally as the community work you've seen them do that's okay to say. But realize that for lots of people around the word seeing a prominent gay character in a Disney cartoon would make a difference in their lives, and it's not just "woke twitter liberal" bullsht or whatever. Calling them out for their shortcomings will hopefully help more them forward. 

Great explanation and makes much more sense!! I guess that's the peril of working for a large company, not all segments are the same :sharon:

Lilbit
17 hours ago, HuffsAhoy said:

And whats your proof its not? Sometimes its better to just sit down and keep your mouth shut hunty 

You didn’t bring much either…they helped with Pulse. Well yeah it happened in Orlando. Of course they helped. 
it sounds like you might’ve worked at Disney world, and not so much the studio….which would be completely irrelevant…meaning you don’t know what you’re talking about. :enigma:

Oriane
42 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Just want to say that's not queer representation; that's queer coding. Not the same thing at all and we shouldn't have to settle for crumbs anymore.

I like this video that I think explained well why queer coding was wrong:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Archived