Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Orville Peck "fixed" BTW lyrics!

FrankMonster

Featured Posts

maryloo
1 hour ago, Joshua81600 said:

Okay, I'm Asian and I don't get how "Orient" is offensive. Maybe in America. But here, "Orient" is usually associated with luxury and lots of things Chinese, and honestly, I'll be quite proud to be called an "Orient", it just never happened before. Haha. Anyway, I don't think anyone offends Asians with the word "Orient". I just know that when BTW came out in 2011, it felt quite nice to be included in a Gaga song,  especially when at that time, all US talked about was Black & White. 

In America, orient is really offensive to a lot of Asians. This is my experience in a major city. 

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FFXIV WhiteMage
18 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I didn't get the context wrong. At least in the US, a lot of Asian Americans of East Asian descent view the term "Oriental" as racist. Oriental is a term to be used for rugs or vases, not people. 

I don't know about how US came up with that but Orient means East or where the sun rises.

ProfessionalClown
35 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Agreed :toofunny:

Idk how anyone can say "latinx" seriously. He (and she) should sing either "latino made" or "latin made". That "latinx" thing jumped straight from performative white woke twitter kids and kind of gives the song that same shallow and performative aftertaste. Like, it's being sang to show how woke you are rather than to show genuine support. That's really the only thing that annoys me about this and I admit, a lot of it is due to my own issues with how people go about sensitivity these days :laughga: it seems to never come from a true, understanding and sympathetic/empathetic place, just a "look how good I am at being good and how bad others are at being good" place.

It's fine though, I guess :yennefer: I'm still streaming the original songs regardless, it doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I'll just pretend to not hear the "-x" next time I see Gaga live :oops:

Agreed. You can’t even say “Latinx” correctly in Spanish or Portuguese. It’s ridiculous 

FFXIV WhiteMage
24 minutes ago, maryloo said:

In America, orient is really offensive to a lot of Asians. This is my experience in a major city. 

I think the word Orient was corrupted in the US. East Asians were known merchants in the west where they usually sell clothing and rugs since silk is their specialty product. 

But the word orient is not an offensive word by its root or nature. I mean  Oriental Breakfast or Oriental cuisines are still commonly used terms. 

ProfessionalClown
24 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I didn't get the context wrong. At least in the US, a lot of Asian Americans of East Asian descent view the term "Oriental" as racist. Oriental is a term to be used for rugs or vases, not people. 

Take note from someone who literally is Asian that said they don’t take offense because it’s used for luxury items and people. 

the only reason why she used it was for a specific demographic, just like Lebanese and chola.

PartySick
1 minute ago, ProfessionalClown said:

Agreed. You can’t even say “Latinx” correctly in Spanish or Portuguese. It’s ridiculous 

Isn't "latine" the usual way of gender neutralizing terms in Spanish now? I can't help but feel I'd know that if I were closer to the hispanic side of my family :rip:

3 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

I think the word Orient was corrupted then? East Asians were known merchants in the west where they usually sell clothing and rugs since silk is their specialty product. 

But the word orient is not an offensive word by its root or nature. I mean  Oriental Breakfast or Oriental cuisines are still commonly used terms. 

A lot of terms have been corrupted in the US to be offensive, I wouldn't be surprised is "Orient" was one of them :emma:

🖤

FFXIV WhiteMage
4 minutes ago, PartySick said:

A lot of terms have been corrupted in the US to be offensive, I wouldn't be surprised is "Orient" was one of them :emma:

This is ridiculous though :cryga:

Orient is rather a fascinating word. Its archaic form means east or the land where the sun rises. In South East Asia and East Asia, orient also refers to luxury or anything fancy. 

HuffsAhoy

It's totally normal for singers to change the lyrics to songs when they cover them, especially when they were as offensive as these :mark: I love them, personally, and I hope Gaga gets with the times :ohwell:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

PartySick
2 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

This is ridiculous though :cryga:

Orient is rather a fascinating word. Its archaic form means east or the land where the sun rises. In South East Asia and East Asia, orient also refers to luxury or anything fancy. 

The US is a ridiculous place, idk what you expect :ladyhaha:

"Chola" probably became offensive in the same way. I've done ZERO research into this but it'd be my assumption that racists appropriated those terms to categorize or insult others and through the years, the negative connotations stuck despite the fact that they only have negative connotations here.

🖤

StarstruckIllusion

(wrong thread oooops)

FentyGa

love to see it, although actual latin american people often don’t like the term ‘latinx’ bc it’s an american invention + the letter x doesnt exist in spanish + they suggested ‘latine’, because it would make more sense in spanish BUT still a good move

Franch Toast

I can't with those of you who are doubling down on defending language that is offensive to some.....(Just because a term doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people.) 

By the way, in 2016 the US government banned the word "Oriental" in federal law. (They did the same with the term "Negro.") 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/after-50-years-asian-american-advocates-say-term-more-essential-n875601

Gaga is a US American artist, so it makes sense for her to be especially sensitive to the way her lyrics are interpreted among US Americans. 

She/Her/Hers

Rebel
4 hours ago, GucciGa said:

I'll go with whatever Gaga uses. 

Shocking. It's okay to think for yourself too btw.

ProfessionalClown
1 hour ago, PartySick said:

Isn't "latine" the usual way of gender neutralizing terms in Spanish now? I can't help but feel I'd know that if I were closer to the hispanic side of my family :rip:

Yep. Latine is definitely way way better to say but then white woke people of America  would start a frenzy about it somehow lmao. 

ProfessionalClown
36 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I can't with those of you who are doubling down on defending language that is offensive to some.....(Just because a term doesn't bother you doesn't mean it doesn't bother other people.) 

By the way, in 2016 the US government banned the word "Oriental" in federal law. (They did the same with the term "Negro.") 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/after-50-years-asian-american-advocates-say-term-more-essential-n875601

Gaga is a US American artist, so it makes sense for her to be especially sensitive to the way her lyrics are interpreted among US Americans. 

“That is offensive to some” sis all words are gonna be offensive to some people. Hell even me saying “sis” will offend someone somewhere.

the term orient has been pretty much Americanized and used as a slur here when in Asian countries it’s just a descriptive word.

Yea I understand she’s American and should be held to American standards, but saying the word is “omg disgustingly offensive” like some have just really isn’t true.

Archived