Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

Orville Peck "fixed" BTW lyrics!

FrankMonster

Featured Posts

ProfessionalClown

Being Mexican, I HATE the term Latinx. You can’t even say it in Spanish correctly it’s so stupid.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ProfessionalClown
32 minutes ago, modern ecstasy said:

As a Latina (not Latinx) I was never offended by the lyrics. I actually remember appreciating that latinas were referenced in the song. Yes, Chola can be interpreted as a derogatory term, but in my culture growing up it was mainly seen as a certain style people had.

Yes 👏🏽👏🏽

like when Gwen Stefani showed more of that culture in her video for Luxurious. Since she grew up in Anaheim and SoCal most of the people she knew had that style and were of the culture. It’s just more like “hey we see you” kinda thing.

S0436

She performed this song for years without changing the lyrics, even early last year.  

Prostitute Barbie

He didn’t fixedt it he just changed it and Gaga’s version will always be the same and be the real one :ally:

FFXIV WhiteMage
5 minutes ago, S0436 said:

She performed this song for years without changing the lyrics, even early last year.  

Because there was never really an issue with the lyrics. The whole lyrical composition expressed what were needed to be expressed on that time that no other mainstream artists have the balls to do so. 

Joshua81

Okay, I'm Asian and I don't get how "Orient" is offensive. Maybe in America. But here, "Orient" is usually associated with luxury and lots of things Chinese, and honestly, I'll be quite proud to be called an "Orient", it just never happened before. Haha. Anyway, I don't think anyone offends Asians with the word "Orient". I just know that when BTW came out in 2011, it felt quite nice to be included in a Gaga song,  especially when at that time, all US talked about was Black & White. 

S0436

He removed the “Lebanese” shoutout :smh:  it’s not offensive, it’s the official name of people of Lebanon!

Franch Toast

I can't speak for Chola versus Latinx, but plenty of people of East Asian descent have been offended by the term Orient because referring to someone as "Oriental" is an outdated term with racist connotations. The song is supposed to be a self-empowering anthem, so why not make the language more inclusive/less offensive? And words do have meaning. I personally know several Asian Americans who hate the song Born This Way because of her use of the word "Orient" in the song. 

She/Her/Hers

Lilbit
1 hour ago, littlepotter said:

And..? There are non-binary people who don't use neopronouns. "Laughing" at them is a whole other level of disrespectful. 

Figoat is inherently derogatory

Bye. You knew exactly what I meant. Start **** with someone else. :interestinga:

Lilbit

White men coming in here to police what is offensive or not…to other people. gtfo

PartySick
2 hours ago, MANiCURE 6 said:

The lyrics were perfect the way they were.

Agreed :toofunny:

Idk how anyone can say "latinx" seriously. He (and she) should sing either "latino made" or "latin made". That "latinx" thing jumped straight from performative white woke twitter kids and kind of gives the song that same shallow and performative aftertaste. Like, it's being sang to show how woke you are rather than to show genuine support. That's really the only thing that annoys me about this and I admit, a lot of it is due to my own issues with how people go about sensitivity these days :laughga: it seems to never come from a true, understanding and sympathetic/empathetic place, just a "look how good I am at being good and how bad others are at being good" place.

It's fine though, I guess :yennefer: I'm still streaming the original songs regardless, it doesn't make that much of a difference to me. I'll just pretend to not hear the "-x" next time I see Gaga live :oops:

🖤

FFXIV WhiteMage
15 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I can't speak for Chola versus Latinx, but plenty of people of East Asian descent have been offended by the term Orient because referring to someone as "Oriental" is an outdated term with racist connotations. The song is supposed to be a self-empowering anthem, so why not make the language more inclusive/less offensive? And words do have meaning. I personally know several Asian Americans who hate the song Born This Way because of her use of the word "Orient" in the song. 

I think you got the wrong context, Oriental Asia is just basically East Asia - China, Japan, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, and Taiwan. 

The "incorrect" thing about it is that most people associate Asians as "Orientals" but Orientals are just a small portion of Asia. That's the outrage for that term. 

Franch Toast
5 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

I think you got the wrong context, Oriental Asia is just basically East Asia - China, Japan, Mongolia, North Korea, South Korea, and Taiwan. 

The "incorrect" thing about it is that most people associate Asians as "Orientals" but Orientals are just a small portion of Asia. That's the outrage for that term. 

I didn't get the context wrong. At least in the US, a lot of Asian Americans of East Asian descent view the term "Oriental" as racist. Oriental is a term to be used for rugs or vases, not people. 

She/Her/Hers

ThePopDevil

is anyone but white americans using latinx tho? lmao i asked my spanish friends once about the term and they were like tf?! 

Archived