Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

They are treating BTW as a cash cow instead of celebrating it

Bottom

Featured Posts

Wet Fire

I-

Were you even there during the BTW era? The entire era had partnerships and merch and whatnot.

The extent some of you go to to prove that Gaga has turned into a money-making machine with no passion in music or whatever...:ladyhaha:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
js4754394o9823
11 minutes ago, Monster Voices said:

Y'all passionately defending the choice for a plain-a** T-shirt for 250 when you know you would drag any other artist to the pits of hell for it. I can just picture the "Demi Lovato releases Versace merch" thread and how much hate they'd get.

I think if you ask for this much the product better be spectacular. But everyone has different budgets. If I get the t-shirt and hat that's literally my monthly salary. :fatcat:

Not if Demi had a foundation that's going get the money from it

It's not about the product only, but donating to charity

Rich people are going to buy a shirt

Poor people in need are going to get help

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

thehanyo

I mean, would you rather she be meditating and not doing anything or acknowledging it all? Cause that's what it's been like since September.

I personally really, really love the new Judas and can't wait to hear the rest!

Space Cowboy

A record she put out a decade ago is being comemoraded through promotion, merch, a re-release, a press event.

She could've just sent out a tweet and moved on with her day, she could've released a BTWB film, she could do a overdue q&a but....

There's many scenarios that could happen but she and her team are doing something that commemorates her most important body of work and that in itself is enough, it has to be enough.

The way the tour ended, none of us ever really got to say goodbye to this era. This anniversary alone honoring everything is a blessing in itself. It could very well expose a new generation to what we were exposed to back then.. and that I believe is the most important.

PropaGaga

Everyone keeps bringing up unreleased tracks, but Gaga and Fernando both said anything that was worth releasing ended up on the album. Outside of some of the alternate mixes, there's likely not much left beyond some very rough demos like "Stuck On ****ing You". And, not to be morbid, but the dream of having unreleased tracks doesn't usually end up happening until an artist is dead and the label wants to cash in via a posthumous album.

whoresup
6 minutes ago, Wet Fire said:

I-

Were you even there during the BTW era? The entire era had partnerships and merch and whatnot.

The extent some of you go to to prove that Gaga has turned into a money-making machine with no passion in music or whatever...:ladyhaha:

To be fair though there was a lot of content, visuals, performances, etc alongside the merch. They went above and beyond to make it great for fans and it so wasn’t like the merch was the only thing out there.

imnotyourbabe10

Late stage capitalists are gonna late stage capitalize...even if it is in the name of charity. :messga:

I also understand Gaga is a businessperson, so it’s always been about the art and selling stuff at the same time.

GucciGa
3 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

I follow her because she’s an amazing artist and her artistry speaks to me. I can criticise her business ideas because as a fan/consumer I have a right to speak about it. I see where she is coming from with the BTW Reimagined but slapping on a few unreleased songs would of made it more special for me. 

But at what point do people say OK that's her choice, she's the boss? Every Haus Lab post that comes here it's the same tired comments from the same people. It's like a competition to get in first. Is it just to get reaction points or are they actually pissed off like 2 years after HL was founded? Bc that's not Gaga's issue.  That's theirs.

Same with her partnerships. Of course she is going to be the face of Dom Perignon. Why wouldn't she? Instead of being happy that she's making bank and what she's worth they act like she's personally slighting them. Lady Gaga is a business. She has huge expenses. She has a big staff to pay. All she does is post a few pictures to meet her contract. Y'all act like she's constantly shoving it in your face 

😇

gumzy3000

I hate it when artists do these partnerships with luxury brands in bad taste. Sometimes it works but Born This Way has so much universal appeal across all income levels. Doing a Versace partnership and selling the clothes for hundreds of dollars is ridiculous and a slap in the face to fans. 

trolly troll troll

GucciGa
1 minute ago, whoresup said:

To be fair though there was a lot of content, visuals, performances, etc alongside the merch. They went above and beyond to make it great for fans and it so wasn’t like the merch was the only thing out there.

I mean no matter what she does it will never be enough for some. As is the norm with this fandom, you criticise her constantly during an era and then cut to a few years later and its all about appreciating it. I think Gaga has copped to how her fandom is, that's why she stays out of it. 

Like I've read multiple comments today saying she has been missing and done nothing for BTW anniversary when she was literally out unveiling a whole street in its name and partying with fans.  It would be funny if it wasn't so insulting and disrespectful to her. 

But whatever. That's the way some of her stans roll... 

😇

whoresup

I think there’s really good arguments on both sides of this debate.
Part of me understands that the music industry is a business after all and now that streaming has ruined album sales it’s important to find other revenue streams. Also I know some fans love merch so it’s nice for them.

But then I also feel that after the Hollywood party all I have seen is merch, merch, merch :koons: It kind of sucks the soul out of it. The irony is I think people would be more excited to buy the merch if there was interesting content coming with it. Gaga’s authenticity as well as sheer effort and attention to detail is what made her a commercial force in the first place. 

Better Day
8 minutes ago, PropaGaga said:

Everyone keeps bringing up unreleased tracks, but Gaga and Fernando both said anything that was worth releasing ended up on the album. Outside of some of the alternate mixes, there's likely not much left beyond some very rough demos like "Stuck On ****ing You". And, not to be morbid, but the dream of having unreleased tracks doesn't usually end up happening until an artist is dead and the label wants to cash in via a posthumous album.

Gaga said before the track list was finalised that the album could have up to 20 tracks meaning they are 3 tracks lying in the vaults. 

Together You And I!

Better Day
5 minutes ago, GucciGa said:

But at what point do people say OK that's her choice, she's the boss? Every Haus Lab post that comes here it's the same tired comments from the same people. It's like a competition to get in first. Is it just to get reaction points or are they actually pissed off like 2 years after HL was founded? Bc that's not Gaga's issue.  That's theirs.

Same with her partnerships. Of course she is going to be the face of Dom Perignon. Why wouldn't she? Instead of being happy that she's making bank and what she's worth they act like she's personally slighting them. Lady Gaga is a business. She has huge expenses. She has a big staff to pay. All she does is post a few pictures to meet her contract. Y'all act like she's constantly shoving it in your face 

I totally understand and appreciate that brand deals she has. I understand they are contracts etc to be adhered too. I do criticise her when it comes to bland and uninspired promos such as BTW Reimagined. Even getting a few remixes slapped on the album would of been nice. 

Together You And I!

dit

Gaga's team in general have been milking a lot of things lately when she herself is giving us the bare minimum for her eras.

2 hours ago, NFRatwell said:

“Let’s do what we just did to Chromatica but instead of releasing a new album let’s just pick one that’s already released” 

exactly

LastNight

I can understand where you’re coming from, but I think West Hollywood announcing May 23rd as Born This Way Day, the giant mural on the road, her getting the keys to the city and her appearance at the event, along with an album of reimagined versions of the songs, is more than enough to properly celebrate a 10 year old album. To me merch is an extra on top of all of that, which you can choose to buy or not. I won’t be doing so and rarely ever do, but I think it’s nice that the option is there for fans and collectors.

People love having physical items to commemorate albums and anniversaries, it would be strange to not release anything. But I do agree that they could be more affordable, although a collab with Versace seems like a natural fit after how much she used them during the era. I also understand after a tonne of ad partnerships this year (which I defend her on and still do) it could all seem like a cash grab. It would be lovely to have a Born This Way Ball DVD or maybe unseen Gagavision clips - but, like I said, I think the album rerelease is more than enough and everything else is a cherry on top. 

Archived