💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

'Friends' producer doesn’t regret all-white cast

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

Chromatican
30 minutes ago, Benji said:

No, not the “alt right” its not that extreme.  There’s a huge spectrum between woke and alt right, saying anyone who doesn’t care about race in a 90’s sitcom belongs to the alt right is exactly what pushes people right lmaooo

It lacked diversity. Sorry. It’ll be called out as long as the show remains relevant and talked about. Suck it up.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SlipAway
1 minute ago, Chromatican said:

It lacked diversity. Sorry. It’ll be called out as long as the show remains relevant and talked about. Suck it up.

As if anyone cares except for maybe buzzfeed interns, please. 
Like literally no one gives a ****. 

Chromatican
2 minutes ago, SlipAway said:

As if anyone cares except for maybe buzzfeed interns, please. 
Like literally no one gives a ****. 

We’re on the fourth page of a thread about it, people care. :laughga:

androiduser
2 hours ago, gypsy101 said:

1 weird thing I noticed in the reunion is there were several gays that were like "omg i loved this show it made me feel at home" when there were literally no gay characters on the show whatsoever, in NYC in the 90s which was as ridiculous as there being almost no ethnically diverse people.

i loved the show personally but yeah it was super non-diverse. the casting of the main 6 was genius though, they ate those chatacters tbh

but that's really how I felt too, as a gay kid. There weren't many lgbt shows, hardly any, so Friends was the closest I had to how I imagined my ideal friend group, even without any representation of people like me, they were still a huge part of my growing up. I just daydreamed about having a group of friends like them, with that kind of a bond.

SlipAway
1 minute ago, Chromatican said:

We’re on the fourth page of a thread about it, people care. :laughga:

Yeah and the tweet has 28 likes. 
Friends is universally acclaimed and has transcended time and generations, like it’s really one of the most global and universally liked shows in history. PLEASE :laughga:

androiduser
10 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

Jennifer Aniston being hired on merit? I have to laugh. 

but she was hired on merit. She was perfect for the snotty privileged girl who grew as a person but still kept some of those negative characteristics. She was attractive enough to be the love interest, and she still resonated with female viewers as well. Men like her, women identified with her, that's a really hard combination to find in an actress.

Starlit
2 hours ago, Franch Toast said:

I'm white, and some of my favorite shows when I was young were Cosby, A Different World (I so wanted to be Denise), 227, The Jeffersons, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, Different Strokes, etc. (I watched a lot of them in syndication.)

What’s your point?

Ashley

I understand the criticism but weren’t there a lot of shows back then with white only casts? Seinfeld, Frasier, 90210, Melrose Place, etc. So why is Friends the one that’s always called out? All we can do is strive for more diversity and inclusivity today.

Jose P
1 hour ago, Chromatican said:

I’ve been reading retrospectives on the show lately and watching clips, and it is NOT progressive in the least. Even The Nanny, Golden Girls and Roseanne tackled gay topics better than F•R•I•E•N•D•S. 

In the least? Not a tiny little bit? Absolutely none? Ok

Reginald

This thread is really bringing out a lot of passive aggressiveness/microagressions from some of you guys :wtf: It's just a TV show. 

Benji
31 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

That’s literally not addressing anything I said but okay, stay mad at a show from the 90’s :ladyhaha:

Franch Toast
16 minutes ago, Starlit said:

What’s your point?

My point is, you wrote: 

"Times were very different back then. White people wouldn’t have identified with those black sit coms and vice versa, and no, not because they wouldn’t be able to relate to the impoverished and victimised black community, but because they simply wouldn’t have understood the humour and cultural references!"

I was saying that I'm white and identified with a lot of Black sitcoms growing up, and I caught a lot of the humor. Maybe I didn't catch all of the cultural references, but that didn't stop me from watching and appreciating them. 

She/Her/Hers

Starlit
25 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

My point is, you wrote: 

"Times were very different back then. White people wouldn’t have identified with those black sit coms and vice versa, and no, not because they wouldn’t be able to relate to the impoverished and victimised black community, but because they simply wouldn’t have understood the humour and cultural references!"

I was saying that I'm white and identified with a lot of Black sitcoms growing up, and I caught a lot of the humor. Maybe I didn't catch all of the cultural references, but that didn't stop me from watching and appreciating them. 

Nor me, but I’m referring specifically to the 70s. I should have perhaps clarified. Those shows came about as a results of cultural creation. 

• FATCAT changed the title to 'Friends' producer doesn’t regret all-white cast

Archived