💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is COADF Madonna's magnum opus?

flyaway

Featured Posts

flyaway

So far, Madonna has released 14 albums. Some good, some MDNA.  But I have the feeling her best work is COADF. That album revived her career and made her popular again. It's fun, it succesful and it's her best work to date. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Benji

I guess it depends how we think of Madonna.  I know Confessions is my personal favourite album but if we want to say what is her most “Madonna” album it’s got to be Like A Prayer and/or Ray of Light.

bionic

She has three:

• Like a Prayer (for the 80s)
  • Ray of Light (for the 90s)
  • Confessions (for the 00s and beyond)
buy bionic

Better Day

Madame X :vegas: Come for me :vegas: I’m ready :vegas: 

Madame X 

Together You And I!

Gagasfirstnose

Probably Like a Prayer. She was at the height of her fame and in some ways has yet to better what that album put out in terms of pure pop perfection. Personally, I still don't feel she has put out a "pure" pop album since. (oddly Rebel heart got closest in terms of how I personally define pop)

But I kinda agree, there were 3 BIG peaks if you want to call it that, in her career

Like a Prayer

Ray of Light

Confessions on a Dance Floor

In that all three combined artistic creativity and critical praise with great commercial performance.

Lucas

True Blue, Ray Of Light and Confessions I guess. She had many career peaks she doesn't have only 1 imo :happy:

Damon

might be, it's crszy for me to think how hated she was after american life qnd she was able to re-invent herself in order to have one of her most succesful albums after many years in the industry

... and now i just sit in silence.

proxy

Coadf is inspired by disco era, it's a great album but Ray of light and Erotica are more original:oprah:

js4754394o9823

Ray Of Light probably

But my favorites are Erotica and Madame X

red wine, cheap perfume and a filthy pout

Tobcho
11 minutes ago, Damon said:

might be, it's crszy for me to think how hated she was after american life qnd she was able to re-invent herself in order to have one of her most succesful albums after many years in the industry

why was she hated after american life?

HuffsAhoy
53 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

Madame X :vegas: Come for me :vegas: I’m ready :vegas: 

Madame X 

I'm coming for you, but with open arms!! I think Madame X is one of her best albums and frankly better than Ray of Light :reductive: Her three contenders for magnum opus for me are:

Like a Prayer

Erotica

Madame X 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Guest Adarsh
3 minutes ago, Tobcho said:

I think they meant Erotica. Madonna was bashed a lot for the sexual nature of the album and it escalated even more when she released sex book. People and critics found it vulgar and trashy.

Future Lovers
7 minutes ago, Tobcho said:

She was one of the few willing to speak out against the Bush administration and criticize the war in Iraq like she did on the title track and it's video. This was right after 9/11 so America was devastated and angry enough that we blindly supported an unjust war built on lies. She was speaking out loudly on this album against all of the horrible things being done and the original video for American Life (which was not allowed to be officially released because every video channel refused to play it so they had to redo it) only added fuel to the fire. She was accused of being anti-American, a terrorist sympathizer, and many on the right even called for her to be arrested for treason. 

Future Lovers
4 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

I think they meant Erotica. Madonna was bashed a lot for the sexual nature of the album and it escalated even more when she released sex book. People and critics found it vulgar and trashy.

She was hated after Erotica, but she was also hated after American Life, and it was arguably more severe than the backlash she got for Erotica. See my above post for info on why. 

Archived