politics

Senate passes anti-Asian hate crimes bill in overwhelming bipartisan vote

thierryrreiht

Featured Posts

thierryrreiht

The Senate voted 94-1 on Thursday to pass legislation that aims to improve anti-Asian hate crime tracking and identification.

1619093514093.jpg

President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris meet with members of the Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus Executive Committee. Photo: Doug Mills-Pool/Getty Images

Why it matters: It's a rare bipartisan endorsement of a bill by the 50-50 Senate, and comes in the wake of a spike of anti-Asian hate crimes over the last year. Sen. Josh Hawley (Mo.) was lone Republican to vote against the bill. 

The bill will train law enforcement to better identify anti-Asian racism and appoint an official in the Justice Department to review and expedite COVID-19-related hate crime reports, among other measures.

After opposition from Republicans, an amendment replaced wording related to "COVID-19 hate crimes" with "hate crimes," while specifically mentioning the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community.

Another Republican-backed amendment will provide grants to state and local governments to help with hate crime reporting.

https://www.axios.com/asian-hate-crimes-bill-senate-2fdcec03-4157-453c-818a-07b45151edc3.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_content=economy-business-asianhatecrimes

___

Of course the sole No voter is one of the insurrectionists...

210108-josh-hawley-raised-fist-capitol-r

Edited by thierryrreiht
  • Like 7
  • YAAAS 2
  • Love 5
Gagaloo911

The Senate ACTUALLY doing something :shocked:

• Like 3
PartySick

Of f*cking course Hawley was the one dissenter :lmao:

He's trying to get a stir around his name so he can run for president. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for him, he's stuck in Trump's shadow.

We're disrespecting each other, whatever happened to protecting each other 💔
  • Like 2
  • Shook 1
Chic

Nothing but love for the Asian populations across the world :heart:

• Love 4
bionic

Remember when Josh Hawley was a shoo-in for POTUS 2028? :toofunny: What a clown

buy bionic
stevana229

did Hawley say why he voted against it? I'd love to hear his reasoning

ALGAYDO
4 minutes ago, stevana229 said:

Well we all know the real reason is because he’s a racist POS, but I too am curious to what public excuse/reasoning he had for voting “No” :oprah:

PartySick
18 minutes ago, ALGAYDO said:

Well we all know the real reason is because he’s a racist POS, but I too am curious to what public excuse/reasoning he had for voting “No” :oprah:

23 minutes ago, stevana229 said:

I'm curious what his public reasoning is too but it's painfully obvious it's just for attention. He's trending on Twitter now and for a politician on his side of the aisle, ALL attention and exposure is good.

No doubt he'll be running for president with the "hur hur own the libtards" (aka "trick the conservatives into thinking you stand for anything") strategy.

Edited by PartySick
We're disrespecting each other, whatever happened to protecting each other 💔
JohnWayne92

Is it not pathetic and sad this even has to happen? No one else just completely given up on the human race? At this point, I’m excited for aliens. Take me to your planet, take me to your leader, maybe they won’t suck as bad. 

LaLuna
16 minutes ago, JohnWayne92 said:

Is it not pathetic and sad this even has to happen? No one else just completely given up on the human race? At this point, I’m excited for aliens. Take me to your planet, take me to your leader, maybe they won’t suck as bad. 

I feel you sis. Humanity has SERIOUSLY tested my patience this past year.

• YAAAS 1