Better Day 5,766 Posted April 20, 2021 Author Share Posted April 20, 2021 4 minutes ago, Benji said: Spend less time on pro-independence sites, I beg I can’t wait for the mess that’ll come if y’all vote to leave Together You And I! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Better Day 5,766 Posted April 20, 2021 Author Share Posted April 20, 2021 3 minutes ago, bionic said: Yeah I trust a fair deal would be negotiated when taking on any debt, and that it would be used for leverage by a provisional Scottish government. UK has paid off debts but the total debt figures rises because borrowing exceeds repayments. BUT for countries paying off debt isn't like paying off a credit card, despite what David Cameron said in 2010. https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5655/economics/can-the-uk-ever-pay-off-its-debts/ I’m quite fascinated by how a Government pays off debt and who it actually borrows from. Together You And I! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
bionic 50,112 Posted April 20, 2021 Share Posted April 20, 2021 8 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said: I’m quite fascinated by how a Government pays off debt and who it actually borrows from. Another page from that cool website (which I discovered today) https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/4098/economics/who-does-the-uk-owe-money-to/ It says a lot that despite the huge amount of debt the UK is in (85% of UK GDP!) it is still seen as a buoyant and stable economy. I expect an independent Scotland would inherit a lot of this good standing and respect amongst economists Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Better Day 5,766 Posted April 20, 2021 Author Share Posted April 20, 2021 4 minutes ago, bionic said: Another page from that cool website (which I discovered today) https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/4098/economics/who-does-the-uk-owe-money-to/ It says a lot that despite the huge amount of debt the UK is in (85% of UK GDP!) it is still seen as a buoyant and stable economy. I expect an independent Scotland would inherit a lot of this good standing and respect amongst economists Thank you for that. I’m quite interested in reading it. Together You And I! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
OMonster 15,025 Posted April 20, 2021 Share Posted April 20, 2021 This is the right decision. If Scotland wants an independence referendum, it should be granted. But in the right way. I'm not sure how any of these points could be challenged - or at least convincingly. 1) If Brexit taught us anything, it's that decisions shouldn't be made via referendums unless there is a large majority either side. 70% feels right for something so monumental and irreversible. 2) Of course every Scottish citizen in the UK should be able to vote. 3) And of course another referendum shouldn't be held within 50 years. Right all round. subtext / fantasy Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Better Day 5,766 Posted April 20, 2021 Author Share Posted April 20, 2021 8 minutes ago, OMonster said: This is the right decision. If Scotland wants an independence referendum, it should be granted. But in the right way. I'm not sure how any of these points could be challenged - or at least convincingly. 1) If Brexit taught us anything, it's that decisions shouldn't be made via referendums unless there is a large majority either side. 70% feels right for something so monumental and irreversible. 2) Of course every Scottish citizen in the UK should be able to vote. 3) And of course another referendum shouldn't be held within 50 years. Right all round. 1. 70% is far too high. Majority should always win. 2. It should be every single person that bides in Scotland. 3. That is extremely undemocratic. According to the GFA, they can be a border poll on Irish unity every 7 years if that’s the will of the people. Together You And I! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.