Jump to content
politics

Rumour: Bojo to allow Scots Indyref2 with harsh conditions


Better Day

Featured Posts

Benji
7 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

It’s not Scotland’s debt. It’s United Kingdom’s debt. 
https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2020/07/28/scotland-debt/

Here’s the thing, you can argue that legally they don’t have to pay but the United Kingdom would make this a key part of a separation deal.  Again, you’re expecting Scotland to refuse to take the debt it’s racked up and be allowed to then join other countries and use their money to keep itself afloat after?  The EU already has many financial burdens, accepting a member that refuses to pay its debts will not be accepted.

And again, you will have extremely hostile neighbours if you don’t accept the debts.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better Day
2 minutes ago, Benji said:

Here’s the thing, you can argue that legally they don’t have to pay but the United Kingdom would make this a key part of a separation deal.  Again, you’re expecting Scotland to refuse to take the debt it’s racked up and be allowed to then join other countries and use their money to keep itself afloat after?  The EU already has many financial burdens, accepting a member that refuses to pay its debts will not be accepted.

Hopefully you don’t understand how the devolved parliaments work. The Scottish Government cannot legally have a debt. The SNP has said they could take a share of the debt. We wouldn’t be using other countries money. We can fund own our country. 

Together You And I!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Benji
2 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

Hopefully you don’t understand how the devolved parliaments work. The Scottish Government cannot legally have a debt. The SNP has said they could take a share of the debt. We wouldn’t be using other countries money. We can fund own our country. 

I don’t think you understand, on separation the newly found Scotland and the remainder of the United Kingdom would enter talks on assets and liabilities.  Taking on a share of the debt will be one of the biggest concessions Scotland would have to make... if they don’t, I will repeat myself; Scotland will be known as country that doesn’t pay its debts and has hostile neighbours.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Day
15 minutes ago, Benji said:

I don’t think you understand, on separation the newly found Scotland and the remainder of the United Kingdom would enter talks on assets and liabilities.  Taking on a share of the debt will be one of the biggest concessions Scotland would have to make... if they don’t, I will repeat myself; Scotland will be known as country that doesn’t pay its debts and has hostile neighbours.

I am aware they would talks but as I said we do not have to legally take on a share of the debt as it’s not Scotland’s debt. 

Together You And I!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Benji
Just now, Miss Dolly said:

I am aware they would talks but as I said we do not have to legally take on a share of the debt as it’s not Scotland’s debt. 

Lord, good luck with that :ladyhaha:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Day
Just now, Benji said:

Lord, good luck with that :ladyhaha:

As far as I am aware none of the other colonies had to take on a share of the UK debt. I’m sure Ireland never took any of the United Kingdom’s debt. 

Together You And I!
Link to post
Share on other sites

bionic
13 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

As far as I am aware none of the other colonies had to take on a share of the UK debt. I’m sure Ireland never took any of the United Kingdom’s debt. 

The 1921 treaty that ended the Irish war for independence agreed that Ireland would take on a proportionate amount of UK debt but the UK Gov agreed to write this off in 1925

Link to post
Share on other sites

Benji
6 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

As far as I am aware none of the other colonies had to take on a share of the UK debt. I’m sure Ireland never took any of the United Kingdom’s debt. 

The world is a bit of different place since then, plus originally it was agreed Ireland would pay it but the UK wrote it off :laughga: You’re arguing on whether Scotland has a legal obligation to inherit its debt, I’m speaking on the impact it would have on future relations with the United Kingdom and how the rest of the world would view a tiny country that racks up debts it refuses to pay. Having a swift Google shows it’s a grey area legally and would be settled in negotiations... again, which the UK would make a part of any deal to be reached since plenty of that money would have built a lot of Scotland’s infrastructure etc.

The UK could point blank refuse to let Scotland leave and call any referendum void if it refuses to take on its fair share.  All of these negotiations will be done prior to Scotland leaving.  We have learnt a lesson or two about referendums.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Day
2 minutes ago, bionic said:

The 1921 treaty that ended the Irish war for independence agreed that Ireland would take on a proportionate amount of UK debt but the UK Gov agreed to write this off in 1925

I wasn’t aware of that. The source I added on page 2 states that an Indy Scotland is not legally binded to take on debt and if it does it should only pay it if the UK Gov pays back some of its debt. 

Together You And I!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Benji
1 minute ago, Miss Dolly said:

I wasn’t aware of that. The source I added on page 2 states that an Indy Scotland is not legally binded to take on debt and if it does it should only pay it if the UK Gov pays back some of its debt. 

Because we enter negotiations to negotiate your exit terms :saladga:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Day
Just now, Benji said:

The world is a bit of different place since then, plus originally it was agreed Ireland would pay it but the UK wrote it off :laughga: You’re arguing on whether Scotland has a legal obligation to inherit its debt, I’m speaking on the impact it would have on future relations with the United Kingdom and how the rest of the world would view a tiny country that racks up debts it refuses to pay. Having a swift Google shows it’s a grey area legally and would be settled in negotiations... again, which the UK would make a part of any deal to be reached since plenty of that money would have built a lot of Scotland’s infrastructure etc.

The UK could point blank refuse to let Scotland leave and call any referendum void if it refuses to take on its fair share.  All of these negotiations will be done prior to Scotland leaving.  We have learnt a lesson or two about referendums.

If the UK gov wants to hostile it would them to lose. It’s been proven they need us more than we need them. 
 

If the UK Gov were to void a future referendum it would cause riots in Scotland. I, for one, would join. 

Together You And I!
Link to post
Share on other sites

bionic
3 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

I wasn’t aware of that. The source I added on page 2 states that an Indy Scotland is not legally binded to take on debt and if it does it should only pay it if the UK Gov pays back some of its debt. 

You're right that there is no legal obligation to take on any debt but no doubt it is something that would be easy to agree on in a independence negotiations (but less easy to agree on a figure). The UK 'spends' over £50 billion on debt repayments every year.

https://www.centreonconstitutionalchange.ac.uk/news-and-opinion/scottish-independence-debt-and-assets

Link to post
Share on other sites

Better Day
Just now, bionic said:

You're right that there is no legal obligation to take on any debt but no doubt it is something that would be easy to agree on in a independence negotiations (but less easy to agree on a figure). The UK 'spends' over £50 billion on debt repayments every year.

The amount would be a grey area and would trust the negotiations teams to take on an affordable amount. As far as I am, the UK Gov has not paid off any debt in years. Debt has been rising for at least 20 years. 

Together You And I!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Benji
Just now, Miss Dolly said:

If the UK gov wants to hostile it would them to lose. It’s been proven they need us more than we need them. 
 

If the UK Gov were to void a future referendum it would cause riots in Scotland. I, for one, would join. 

Spend less time on pro-independence sites, I beg :ladyhaha: I can’t wait for the mess that’ll come if y’all vote to leave :ladyhaha:

Link to post
Share on other sites

bionic
3 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

The amount would be a grey area and would trust the negotiations teams to take on an affordable amount. As far as I am, the UK Gov has not paid off any debt in years. Debt has been rising for at least 20 years. 

Yeah I trust a fair deal would be negotiated when taking on any debt, and that it would be used for leverage by a provisional Scottish government. UK has paid off debts but the total debt figures rises because borrowing exceeds repayments. BUT for countries paying off debt isn't like paying off a credit card, despite what David Cameron said in 2010.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5655/economics/can-the-uk-ever-pay-off-its-debts/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...