đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Boldest music video by a pop girl ever?

Justin Drew Bieber

Featured Posts

HausOfAntonio
38 minutes ago, JohnnyVersace said:

I disagree with this completely. Madonna was ground-breaking and pushed the limits of what we knew of pop, and female musicians as a whole. But that doesn't mean Gaga didn't as well. I'd argue all three of TFM videos pushed boundaries in a similar fashion, and further, in ways, than Madonna did.

- Bad Romance in terms of fashion, story and iconography 

- Telephone by being the most hyper-pop, hyper-commercial acid trip, lesbian-fueled Terentino-esque mini movie (that also starred one of the other biggest pop stars)

- Alejandro with it's gender-bending, gory, incredibly dark Klein aesthetics

Gaga changed the game with these videos. The aspects of death, darkness, camp and fashion in these three videos wasn't seen before, or at least since Madonna/Britney. But with Gaga, the extreme early success of her career  allowed her to work with the BEST designers, directors and musicians of the times, and as a body of work, comments on extreme commercial success and fame juxtaposed with fighting our inner demons. Justify My Love for instance, while incredible sexual, doesn't serve much more than some shock value over f*cking. Gaga's videos during TFM (and BTW) tackled much more imo, and to me that's bold. 

Agree sis but how is Alejandro gory? :selena:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HotLikeMexico

Madonna wins this one. Like a Prayer, Erotica, Justify My Love, American Life. 

Jose P
12 hours ago, enissa11 said:

for sure Madonna is bold, but her boldness is also because of the times she released the videos

Looking at the outrage around Montero, burning crosses and playing with religious imagery in a borderline blasphemous way is absolutely still something that causes huge controversy. Also look at the outrage over WAP which is fairly recent. And Erotica is literally softcore **** and leaves nothing to the imagination. American Life was also the definition of boldness, she literally had to back down from it to protect her family. And many of those things she did would still be controversial if we look at how those same topics still provoke big reactions.

Gaga only came close to that level with Judas and Alejandro. It’s ok, just because we are fans doesn’t mean that we can’t admit there have been artists that have done things better than her.

NCgaga

The boldest? 

LIKE. A. PRAYER. 

She really went there, in that time period. In all honesty, I prefer Gaga Over Madonna, but Madonna did things no woman had done, and boldly pushed boundaries from the late 80s to the mid 90s. 

Born This Way
33 minutes ago, Bae said:

not a music video but I haven't seen another pop girl put out something like this, ever.

I really can't think of another mainstream female artist who would release this kind of video, especially just for a perfume. Like it's not the most outrageous thing ever but its like really weird. 

Boldest music video? Like a Prayer or Erotica.

Reset my mind's IP, delete what I don't need

DenDenTired

Alejandro really scared a lot of my highschool friends at the time and omg did I stan. 

2 hours ago, JohnnyVersace said:

I disagree with this completely. Madonna was ground-breaking and pushed the limits of what we knew of pop, and female musicians as a whole. But that doesn't mean Gaga didn't as well. I'd argue all three of TFM videos pushed boundaries in a similar fashion, and further, in ways, than Madonna did.

- Bad Romance in terms of fashion, story and iconography 

- Telephone by being the most hyper-pop, hyper-commercial acid trip, lesbian-fueled Terentino-esque mini movie (that also starred one of the other biggest pop stars)

- Alejandro with it's gender-bending, gory, incredibly dark Klein aesthetics

Gaga changed the game with these videos. The aspects of death, darkness, camp and fashion in these three videos wasn't seen before, or at least since Madonna/Britney. But with Gaga, the extreme early success of her career  allowed her to work with the BEST designers, directors and musicians of the times, and as a body of work, comments on extreme commercial success and fame juxtaposed with fighting our inner demons. Justify My Love for instance, while incredible sexual, doesn't serve much more than some shock value over f*cking. Gaga's videos during TFM (and BTW) tackled much more imo, and to me that's bold. 

Gaga brought the game BACK.  She didn’t change it.  For those of us that lived through the 90’s music videos era, it was refreshing for an artist bring back the art form to a level that was once the standard.  

Archived