💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Viola Davis expresses feeling like a leftover in Hollywood

Aphasic

Featured Posts

Aphasic
1 hour ago, MonsterofFame said:

And why do you think that is? You don't think there's plenty of writers and directors who aren't Jewish that would love to have an opportunity to release a major film?

I have nothing against it, but let's not deny that Jewish representation in Hollywood isn't unusually high for a minority.

This is what I tried to say. Thank you.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Angelina Stefania

She's had and still has a relatively great career. She needs to stop complaining and be grateful for the work. There are people worse off. The gays, the trans community, so ignored by Hollywood, instead casting straight people to play gays and trans persons. 

Aphasic
2 hours ago, The Child said:

I honestly think there are many more characters who are openly Christian, how many weddings do you see in churches in movies? I mean heck even in cartoons such as the Simpson you see more of Christian people than Jewish.

I get your point my brother/sister but they don't suffer the same lack of representation as other minorities. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish_actors

The list above is of Jewish actors many of which have recieved way more commercial and critical success simply because they aren't considered POC.

i.e.

Natalie Portman

Seth Rogan

Mila Kunis

Larry Davis

Adam Sandler

Ben Stiller

Winona Ryder

Billy Crystal

Paul Rudd

Sacha Baron Cohen

Daniel Day-Lewis

Logan Lerman

The Jewish community in Hollywood has benefited from nepotism more than anyone else. I'm not saying they're not talented but in terms of representation I don't think there's an issue with them if we compare them with other minorities.

Aphasic
13 minutes ago, Angelina Stefania said:

She's had and still has a relatively great career. She needs to stop complaining and be grateful for the work. There are people worse off. The gays, the trans community, so ignored by Hollywood, instead casting straight people to play gays and trans persons. 

My fellow Gaga fan, all these issues exist and they all should be addressed. She's talking about the struggles of being a black actress. She can't speak about the experience of gays or trans people because she isn't gay nor a trans person. She's talking about her personal struggles to get to where she is. She's not discrediting gay issues or trans issues. 

ALGAYDO
16 minutes ago, Angelina Stefania said:

This is such a shallow was of seeing this tho. It’s like someone saying “the gays need to just be happy that they’re not legally allowed to be stoned to death anymore. There’s more minorities that way worse off than them rn, they need to stfu about homophobia and take a back seat” 

Aphasic
1 minute ago, ALGAYDO said:

This is such a shallow was of seeing this tho. It’s like someone saying “the gays need to just be happy that they’re not legally allowed to be stoned to death anymore. There’s more minorities that way worse off than them rn, they need to stfu about homophobia and take a back seat” 

I definitely agree with you. :heart:

gypsy101

i hate that she felt like that. she is one of my all time favorite actresses, she is so fantastic in every role i've seen her in. though i'm rooting for Carey Mulligan this year at the Oscars I do hope Viola will win a second someday soon

NCgaga
14 hours ago, The Child said:

I honestly think there are many more characters who are openly Christian, how many weddings do you see in churches in movies? I mean heck even in cartoons such as the Simpson you see more of Christian people than Jewish.

Are you kidding? There is a huge Jewish connection in The media. It’s known to be mainly Jewish. Jewish people predominately  are also white, which is why you probably never noticed. 

NCgaga

The real issue here is how Hollywood tends to throw out women after a few movies, but holds on to men. How many current movies are Angelina, Julia Roberts, Jennifer Lawrence, Charlize Theron, Haley Barry, Cate Winslet In? Granted, some of them had an amazing ten years, but Hollywood holds on to men much longer.  Viola has the average length of a female’s career in Hollywood, without turning to Marvel or Netflix. 

Levine
15 hours ago, Reality said:

It's not just her, but so many BIPOC, women, LGBTQ+, Muslim, Jewish, etc., etc., etc., actors. Hollywood needs to do better in diversfying people in front of and behind the camera and also treating them as equals. Viola Davis is a phenomenal actress with an amazing resume, and it's such a shame she's being treated this way. 

Was about to write the same thing but you did it first, so I'm just quoting you.

Viola is incredible, I think my fave actress of all the time and I hope one day the whole world will see her.

berlinforme

The problem at hand isn't that the jewish community in LA has a supporting network, but rather that other minorities don't have it. The way y'all phrase it comes across like it's "the jews' fault." 

Aphasic
35 minutes ago, berlinforme said:

The problem at hand isn't that the jewish community in LA has a supporting network, but rather that other minorities don't have it. The way y'all phrase it comes across like it's "the jews' fault." 

No, it's just that historically the Jewish community pretty much founded the film industry in the USA which went on to became the biggest in the world and nepotism (whether intentional or conscienceless) went on to became a thing too whithin the industry. 

Spoiler

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film studio founders: Marcus Loew was born in New York City, into a poor Jewish family, who had emigrated to New York City a few years previously from Austria and Germany and Louis Burt Mayer who was also of a Jewish family. 

Paramount Pictures founders: Adolph Zukor (January 7, 1873 – June 10, 1976) was an Austro-Hungarian-born American film producer best known as one of the three founders of Paramount Pictures. Born into a Jewish family. 
Jesse Louis Lasky (September 13, 1880 – January 13, 1958) was an American pioneer motion picture producer who was a key founder of Paramount Pictures with Adolph Zukor and William Wadsworth Hodkinson, and father of screenwriter Jesse L. Lasky Jr.Born into a Jewish family.

Warner Brothers Studios was founded by 4 Jewish brothers: Jack, Harry, Sam and Albert Warner in 1905.

Universal Pictures also known as Universal Studios, and formerly named Universal Film Manufacturing Company and Universal-International Pictures Inc.)Founded in 1912 by Carl Laemmle, Mark Dintenfass, Charles O. Baumann, Adam Kessel, Pat Powers, William Swanson, David Horsley, Robert H. Cochrane, and Jules Brulatour, it is the oldest surviving film studio in the United States and all of the founders were Jewish. 

The Child
2 hours ago, NCgaga said:

Are you kidding? There is a huge Jewish connection in The media. It’s known to be mainly Jewish. Jewish people predominately  are also white, which is why you probably never noticed. 

I know there’s a huge Jewish connection in the media but in cinema it’s way more Christian.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Aphasic
13 minutes ago, The Child said:

I know there’s a huge Jewish connection in the media but in cinema it’s way more Christian.

Brother/sister but it all started about representation and treatment of Black actors ( Black actresses in particular). The Jewish community represents 2.2 percent of the USA population while African-Americans as of 2019 represent 12.8 percent of the USA population and Hispanics-Latinos represent 18 percent of the USA population. 

In general terms Jewish could be well considered overrepresented across all medias: tv, cinema, etc. 

I'm not saying it's the fault of Jewish but I'm just talking facts and statistics. 

Archived