💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

MARINA - Purge The Poison (feat. P𝚞ssy Riot)

ARTPOPe

Featured Posts

CheapGin
3 minutes ago, SonOfAphrodite said:

When did I ever say to not take the topics seriously?!? The song itself is not as serious as you want to make it seem. It’s literally commentary not a song about how we go about changing these issues. Of course those topics are serious but the way in which she approaches them is campy fun pop music. Which is how she chooses to express herself. I don’t recall her ever claiming to be the voice of the rebellion :yennefer: if you want to critically examine those issues then find a protest artist or even a Ted talk not an alternative pop girl trying to bring light to issues whilst also making fun pop music. You just come off pretentious trying to tell a woman how to express her view on the world. If you don’t like it then that’s fine but to say she should express herself differently isn’t right because that’s her reality and viewpoint. 

I have no problems with how Marina is expressing her truths, I am critical of her perspectives which is something artists and thinkers open and expose themselves to when they share their thoughts and perspectives.

Posting my opinion about a song in a discussion forum talking about different perspectives on a newly released song that loosely and playfully takes on social issues is NOT me telling a woman how to express her view on the world. Its fair to be critical of people's views on the world especially when they open themselves to critique. Its your choice to take things as seriously or not seriously as you'd like. Marina is a person of privilege, I am not looking for her to be the voice of any rebellion. As a person of privilege, she looks around and sees Harvey Weinstein in jail, Biden in office, hope that vaccinations will end a pandemic---this is not the reality of the issues in the world, and her "commentary" on such issues is worth being critical of. You should try it!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HausOfAntonio
18 minutes ago, CheapGin said:

Thank you I appreciate this! I completely agree and the fact that I highlighted her acting within the system is honestly the least of my point-- I more so mean that the song doesn't seem to be critical as much as celebratory. Her message is reading to me that because of the current (liberal) landscape--Me Too, presumably Biden defeating Trump, acceptation of vaccinations, etc.-- proves that as a culture and as individuals we can "Purge the Poison." I think this a delusional and idealistic point of view that does more harm than good in the aforementioned current landscape. The idea that there is no longer work to be done is something that's been too quickly adopted during the Biden administration. 

I don’t think thats the point of the song at all? To me its just about her purging toxic people with incompatible points of view from her life while simultaneously being outspoken about things she believes in instead of retreating into being a hermit :laughga: Obviously she knows that there’s not gonna be a 180 in the system but there’s things we can do to improve how we live as a society. 

CheapGin
13 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I don’t think thats the point of the song at all? To me its just about her purging toxic people with incompatible points of view from her life while simultaneously being outspoken about things she believes in instead of retreating into being a hermit :laughga: Obviously she knows that there’s not gonna be a 180 in the system but there’s things we can do to improve how we live as a society. 

I think the song is about everything she mentions in the song but truthfully I think my problem is that she is talking a lot without saying much. Sure, you say she is expressing her position in this world around her but I think I might be averse to name checking current events in a song without actually saying anything? I don't know. I want to reiterate that I am looking forward to the album BUT I don't necessarily understand what exactly she's trying to do with Man's World and now Purge the Poison if it isn't to make a statement on the current times. What is the statement and why does it feel reductive? Why release music with these themes if its not actually about them?

Chic

I feel like I’m being lectured on climate change by someone that contributes to it more than I ever will

HausOfAntonio
31 minutes ago, Chic said:

I feel like I’m being lectured on climate change by someone that contributes to it more than I ever will

Because you know Marina and her waste/consumption habits personally? :oprah:

HausOfAntonio
50 minutes ago, CheapGin said:

I think the song is about everything she mentions in the song but truthfully I think my problem is that she is talking a lot without saying much. Sure, you say she is expressing her position in this world around her but I think I might be averse to name checking current events in a song without actually saying anything? I don't know. I want to reiterate that I am looking forward to the album BUT I don't necessarily understand what exactly she's trying to do with Man's World and now Purge the Poison if it isn't to make a statement on the current times. What is the statement and why does it feel reductive? Why release music with these themes if its not actually about them?

I don't think any art should ever strive to be a statement. 

Chic
Just now, HausOfAntonio said:

Because you know Marina and her waste/consumption habits personally? :oprah:

I know the good sis has been on hundreds of flights and I’ve only been on 5 :shrug:

HausOfAntonio
Just now, Chic said:

I know the good sis has been on hundreds of flights and I’ve only been on 5 :shrug:

So we're not allowed to travel if we want to be concerned and take personal actions regarding climate change in our daily lives? :awkney:

CheapGin
17 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I don't think any art should ever strive to be a statement. 

Art is ALWAYS making a statement, intended to not. A statement is an expression of something. Marina is expressing herself through song with words and feelings. She is making a statement and those statements are being discussed here. She is making enough of a statement to supplement this very discussion.

You also initially mentioned pop music being "critical" and "exploring social causes" so I am not sure you can detach this from making a statement. Releasing products of art where storytelling and expression of perspective is concerned is LITERALLY an act of making a statement. Why make art if you have nothing to say? Go listen to Sims singing in simlish or inaudible moans if you don't think music (or art in general) should strive to say anything. Furthermore, you sure seem inspired to defend something that allegedly isn't making a statement?

Art without a statement is purposeless!

ProfessionalClown

Marina out here just airing out all the dirty laundry huh.

queen **** 

HausOfAntonio
17 minutes ago, CheapGin said:

Art is ALWAYS making a statement, intended to not. A statement is an expression of something. Marina is expressing herself through song with words and feelings. She is making a statement and those statements are being discussed here. She is making enough of a statement to supplement this very discussion.

You also initially mentioned pop music being "critical" and "exploring social causes" so I am not sure you can detach this from making a statement. Releasing products of art where storytelling and expression of perspective is concerned is LITERALLY an act of making a statement. Why make art if you have nothing to say? Go listen to Sims singing in simlish or inaudible moans if you don't think music (or art in general) should strive to say anything. Furthermore, you sure seem inspired to defend something that allegedly isn't making a statement?

Art without a statement is purposeless!

Statements are different from observations, critiques, dialogues. Statements are imposing. I don’t believe in art that imposes as much as art that suggests, questions and opens debates. My stance is not that art shouldn’t say anything, its to revise how we read and digest it. 

Chic
1 hour ago, HausOfAntonio said:

So we're not allowed to travel if we want to be concerned and take personal actions regarding climate change in our daily lives? :awkney:

No, you’re not allowed to lecture people who make less of a harmful impact without looking silly lol

Esme Squalor
46 minutes ago, Chic said:

No, you’re not allowed to lecture people who make less of a harmful impact without looking silly lol

She made a song promoting environmentalism, she didn't come into your home to lecture you for not doing enough to prevent climate change. People should be able to discuss social issues in their music. There's no need to take it personally, especially considering how this song isn't explicitly deriding the average person for not recycling enough.

Chic
4 minutes ago, Esme Squalor said:

She made a song promoting environmentalism, she didn't come into your home to lecture you for not doing enough to prevent climate change. People should be able to discuss social issues in their music. There's no need to take it personally, especially considering how this song isn't explicitly deriding the average person for not recycling enough.

I dunno, it just comes across that she’s deriding humans as a whole for this and celebrating her and her LA witch crew for healing the earth’s damage despite the fact she’s likely caused more harm to it than most of the people listening

I hate the whole anti-human, self-righteous club that seems to be developing

• ARTPOPe changed the title to MARINA - Purge The Poison (feat. P𝚞ssy Riot)

Archived