💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
new music

MARINA - Purge The Poison (feat. P𝚞ssy Riot)

ARTPOPe

Featured Posts

Concertaholic
43 minutes ago, Emigrante said:

Brillant song and really interesting music video, though I would love her to have more budget on her videos. Lyrics are in your face but it's your typical Marina, I don't get the hate really. 

Let me remind you she has definitely had budget before. This video is such a gem.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Emigrante
20 minutes ago, Concertaholic said:

Let me remind you she has definitely had budget before. This video is such a gem.

I know, but even when you have strict budget you can make gorgeous videos. I really appreciate Purge The Poison visually, but I'm hoping for even more in next productions. 

Man's World also looks good.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

CheapGin

Im not really into the lyrics honestly....I think if she's going to claim she's writing critical lyrics they should actually be critical it feels a little put on like she had nothing else to write about....its trying to be American Life or Lilly Allen or older music from herself but I am not convinced. 

FATCAT

I'm not a big fan of this songs flow, but I'm super excited for the whole album! 

Purr more, hiss less.

CheapGin
22 hours ago, imnotyourbabe10 said:

Let's purge the capitalism, Marina! :firega:

There are a ton of lyrics and I can see how it can come across as clunky -- but they are the lyrics societies needs to hear.

I disagree....Marina is not purging the capitalism with her new pop single release. The lyrics fail to be critical of capitalism's purposeful commodification and dilution of social causes, Marina is amplifying this. Me Too arguably had no lasting or meaningful impact and lyrics like these are virtue signals and performative without actually saying ANYTHING.

Still excited for the new album though:lolly:

SonOfAphrodite

it’s a fun pop song not a dissertation on these issues :bear:

not y’all taking it so seriously as if she’s the one and only voice on these topics :bear:

we will be streaming is all I have to say! :party:

imnotyourbabe10
30 minutes ago, CheapGin said:

The lyrics fail to be critical of capitalism's purposeful commodification and dilution of social causes, Marina is amplifying this. Me Too arguably had no lasting or meaningful impact and lyrics like these are virtue signals and performative without actually saying ANYTHING.

Preach!  Thank you for your dialectical insights! I see it differently now and am also excited for the album.  Love that we can critique and still enjoy!

CheapGin
12 minutes ago, imnotyourbabe10 said:

Preach!  Thank you for your dialectical insights! I see it differently now and am also excited for the album.  Love that we can critique and still enjoy!

Honestly I am such a fan and if anything I would love to see the girls actually get grittier and punk without trying to keep things so clean and approachable, it can't be both ways! But I truthfully love the lyrical style like this that Marina and Lilly Allen I suppose are most known for but I want to see it evolve and have more meaning thats when it would pack a real punch for ME!

CheapGin
35 minutes ago, SonOfAphrodite said:

it’s a fun pop song not a dissertation on these issues :bear:

not y’all taking it so seriously as if she’s the one and only voice on these topics :bear:

we will be streaming is all I have to say! :party:

Funny how she made a pop song...about serious topics, just so people can come say not to take it so seriously. Its almost like problematic and buzzy topics lose their weight and meaning when they're played with in the pop song sandbox instead of actually being critically examined and explored within society :smh:

Galvon
29 minutes ago, Concertaholic said:

9 minutes ago, Emigrante said:

I know, but even when you have strict budget you can make gorgeous videos. I really appreciate Purge The Poison visually, but I'm hoping for even more in next productions. 

Man's World also looks good.

Yeah Man's World looks good. Though she use to have her video's shot at such pretty locations in the past, like the mansions in Primadonna, Power & Control and Froot. Yes the video for Blue is also very good. I believe she had the most butget during Electra Heart era.

HausOfAntonio
1 hour ago, CheapGin said:

I disagree....Marina is not purging the capitalism with her new pop single release. The lyrics fail to be critical of capitalism's purposeful commodification and dilution of social causes, Marina is amplifying this. Me Too arguably had no lasting or meaningful impact and lyrics like these are virtue signals and performative without actually saying ANYTHING.

Still excited for the new album though:lolly:

You can be critical with a purpose while acting within a system comrade :bear: Pop music is not a lesser vehicle to explore social causes just because its pop.... Have we not learned anything from ARTPOP? 

Glamourpuss
52 minutes ago, SFX said:

Omg this is ****ing awful! Are usually like her so I’m really disappointed… Like wow

It's a grower. I thought it was basic to start with because to me it sounded like a TFJ reject but now I'm obsessed with it and already think it's one of her best. :)

SonOfAphrodite
55 minutes ago, CheapGin said:

Funny how she made a pop song...about serious topics, just so people can come say not to take it so seriously. Its almost like problematic and buzzy topics lose their weight and meaning when they're played with in the pop song sandbox instead of actually being critically examined and explored within society :smh:

When did I ever say to not take the topics seriously?!? The song itself is not as serious as you want to make it seem. It’s literally commentary not a song about how we go about changing these issues. Of course those topics are serious but the way in which she approaches them is campy fun pop music. Which is how she chooses to express herself. I don’t recall her ever claiming to be the voice of the rebellion :yennefer: if you want to critically examine those issues then find a protest artist or even a Ted talk not an alternative pop girl trying to bring light to issues whilst also making fun pop music. You just come off pretentious trying to tell a woman how to express her view on the world. If you don’t like it then that’s fine but to say she should express herself differently isn’t right because that’s her reality and viewpoint. 

CheapGin
9 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

You can be critical with a purpose while acting within a system comrade :bear: Pop music is not a lesser vehicle to explore social causes just because its pop.... Have we not learned anything from ARTPOP? 

Thank you I appreciate this! I completely agree and the fact that I highlighted her acting within the system is honestly the least of my point-- I more so mean that the song doesn't seem to be critical as much as celebratory. Her message is reading to me that because of the current (liberal) landscape--Me Too, presumably Biden defeating Trump, acceptation of vaccinations, etc.-- proves that as a culture and as individuals we can "Purge the Poison." I think this a delusional and idealistic point of view that does more harm than good in the aforementioned current landscape. The idea that there is no longer work to be done is something that's been too quickly adopted during the Biden administration. 

• ARTPOPe changed the title to MARINA - Purge The Poison (feat. P𝚞ssy Riot)

Archived