💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

celeb

LilNasX Accused For Stealing Art For His New Music Video

RAMROD

Featured Posts

uo111
6 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

i don’t understand this logic at all. the same idea that was already out there came from the people fka twigs worked with that lil nas x wanted on his video. 

let’s say it’s 2011. pretend cellophane is gaga’s video. now imagine that katy perry reaches out to the director of cellophane, and then hires the same choreographer and comes out with lil nas x’s video. everyone on this website would have an absolute aneurysm over it. the double standard here is weird.

People are mad whenever anything Gaga related comes up here, it's not a weird standard this is literally Gagadaily. We have the benefit of being more objective when it comes to non-gaga things.

That being said, it's just a pole dancing scene. That's the choreographers art, not this guys. Other than the pole, what is the same? An angel descending from heaven? Not an original idea and hasn't been for.... hmmm thousands of years.

This director being mad about heaven imagery is silly. If the choreo was stolen, then the CHOREOGRAPHER could be mad. But it wasn't, since the choreographer was hired.

The way it looks is they wanted a scene pole dancing down to hell. They thought about using the director, and then thought, no his style doesn't fit what we want for this MV but we do like the pole dancing choreography. So they hired the Choreographer. Choreographers should be allowed to produce their work without directors saying "their" ideas were stolen.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Serial Chiller

It's not that similar. 

I watched the dude's story.

The only similarity is yes, the plotline of falling from heaven on a pole.

But the direction, the tone, the cgi are very different. 

This "stealing idea" debate in MVs should have rested years ago. 

Besides it's 1/6 of Nas' video. Not like everything in there resembled Cellophane.

littlepotter

It does look very similar...

Worst part is probably the fact that cellophane lost the grammy for best music video to old town road :toofunny:

chaeri pls

CubbyGaga
3 hours ago, Chromatography said:

is the whole video actually a frame by frame copy? because looking upwards to some heavenly light in the sky is pretty generic and not a convincing argument for me

Exactly.  These nobodies really get all up in arms over some super vague, generic sh*t. 

JusKeepBreathin

8530535.jpg

I mean this book is ten years old. It's not an original idea. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

high culture

I refuse to watch this video and I will never stream nas x again. I’m a big twigs fan, I hope legal action is taken. 

Aleks
4 hours ago, Judas Society said:

But he said that Nas' label contacted the artist last year, but seems like they didn't follow through and then hired the same choreographer...though it could be just a choreographer for the pole dance scene. Choereographer doesn't mean anything to me unless it's the exact same choreo used. But yea, it's just looking up to the sky or heavens which has been used in many videos or movies before.

4 hours ago, Chromatography said:

is the whole video actually a frame by frame copy? because looking upwards to some heavenly light in the sky is pretty generic and not a convincing argument for me

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM5vGTRj0cu/?igshid=1la4ci5w0405q

So you don’t have to look for it :kiss:

We don’t really need to talk too much, show each other what we know 🦋

Oriane

I just watched the two videos. Yes there's a similar concept but it's not to the point I would call this a ripoff. I would call it inspiration or referencing. Cellophane's video is based around that whole concept of trying to ascend to heaven and falling into inferno with a pole dance, for CMBYN it's just a part of a bigger storyline.

I love the Cellophane video by the way, it looks amazing. CMBYN looks like something Katy Perry would do.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Head Empty
10 minutes ago, Oriane said:

I just watched the two videos. Yes there's a similar concept but it's not to the point I would call this a ripoff. I would call it inspiration or referencing. Cellophane's video is based around that whole concept of trying to ascend to heaven and falling into inferno with a pole dance, for CMBYN it's just a part of a bigger storyline.

I love the Cellophane video by the way, it looks amazing. CMBYN looks like something Katy Perry would do.

The fact that they tried to hire Cellophane's director speaks volumes tho. They wanted to use the concept, but when they were denied permission they did it anyway. That's not a great way of doing business.

The least they could've done is giving credit for their inspiration, as it was obviously a direct reference.

Happiness will never last, darkness comes to kick your ass... ‎ ᵃˢˢ 🕺

Guest Adarsh
1 hour ago, littleboyblue said:

That artist's aesthetic would have been perfect for Chromatica. Ugh.

And then Bjork fans would’ve dragged Gaga for copying her. Her makeup artist is already a well known OGH 

alsemanche
1 hour ago, CubbyGaga said:

Exactly.  These nobodies really get all up in arms over some super vague, generic sh*t. 

Y'all are really rude and disrespectful with your comments. He isn't a "nobody", he's done AMAZING visuals for amazing artists. He's worked woth Björk and Twigs among others. Just because he hasn't worked with famous pop stars doesn't mean he's a nobody. And even if he hadn't worked with these people, he's still a great director whose work was stolen and uncredited. I'm sure y'all would be having meltdowns left and right if it was a bigger director who worked with bigger artists. 

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Archived