BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

BUtterfield 8
SpoilerMetacritic score as of 3/19/21 at 7:44 pm ET: 85

0-CF72851-E663-4131-A0-D6-A5706-ED0-B050

Metacritic

Los Angeles time:

Spoiler

"What’s inarguable is that she’s become one of the finest songwriters of her generation, with a lyrical and melodic flair that encourages an emotional investment in her music well beyond whatever it reflects of her real life. On “Chemtrails,” her singing reaches a new peak as well. ... But if the sound is familiar — think of the very sweet spot triangulated by Sandy Denny, k.d. lang and the Velvet Underground’s self-titled third album — the scenarios can still flatten you, as in the gorgeous “Wanderlust.”"

Independent: 5/5

Spoiler

"A great storyteller, Del Rey consistently delivers the who, what, where and when. She picks out the telling details – turquoise jewellery, the TV in the corner, “on the second floor, baby”. She sketches a backstory (“I come from a small town”) and then tells you how it all feels. "

The telegraph: 5/5

Spoiler

"The production by Jack Antonoff is stunning, with a huge amount happening beneath the surface of what first manifests as a scratchily intimate acoustic-flavoured unplugged band. There is not a weak song or throwaway performance here, amidst many that only reveal their secrets on repeated listening."

The line of best fit: 8

Spoiler

"Chemtrails leans further into the sounds of sunny, ‘70s California - summoning Judee Sill and Karen Dalton - and it’s watertight too: her first 45 minute album since her debut. Sonically, things sound gorgeous."

Mojo:

Spoiler

"As the album progresses, a powerful expansion of Del Rey's folkier inclinations. [Apr 2021, p.80]"

Pitchfork: 7.5

Spoiler

"Lana Del Rey’s sixth album dials back the grandiosity in favor of smaller, more intimate moments. It carries a roaming spirit of folk and Americana without losing the romantic melodrama of her best work." 

The Guardian:

Spoiler

"Chemtrails Over the Country Club does what it does exceptionally well. The songwriting misfires that plagued her early albums have been eradicated through that refinement; everything here is incredibly melodically strong, strong enough, in fact, that it feels beguiling rather than formulaic, which is an impressive feat to pull off. "

NME: 5/5

Spoiler

"It’s a reminder that, more than just being influenced by the likes of Joan Baez and Stevie Nicks, she’s now on a par with them. Lana Del Rey is at the peak of her game – just don’t expect her to come down anytime soon." 

Clash: 9/10

Spoiler

"An enchanting listen, her world-building remains absolutely undimmed on this triumphant, bewitching project."

Consequence of sound: B+

Spoiler

"Chemtrails over the Country Club is a gorgeous listen: charming, clever, and vulnerable. Del Rey is as effective as ever in painting American fantasies, evoking nostalgia for realities always out of reach." 

All music: 4/5

Spoiler

"With Chemtrails Over the Country Club, Del Rey shows her softest moments can be her most powerful." 

Spin:

Spoiler

"Chemtrails feels somewhat unmoored. It’s the quietest, most delicate music of Del Rey’s career so far, comprising several gorgeous arrangements, but very little of it feels particularly magnetic, especially when stacked against the rest of her songbook. The lyricism is, at moments, uninspired."

Beats per minute: 70%

Spoiler

"For better or worse, Chemtrails Over The Country Club is 100% a Lana Del Rey record that fits quaintly into her discography. Anyone following her up to this point shouldn’t bat an eye at how sharp of a left turn this is compared to her previous album. She’s absurdly contrived, but the allure is far too captivating to look away."

DIY: 3.5/5

Spoiler

"An elegiac, introverted release that feels more like a late-career meditation than the victory lap for "NFR!"." 

Slant: 3.5/5

Spoiler

"Working again in close collaboration with composer and producer Jack Antonoff, the album is gorgeously, if a bit too tastefully, arranged, prizing pared-back piano and light-handed acoustic guitar."

Pop matters: 7

Spoiler

"Though Chemtrails isn’t quite Lana’s strongest album (that’s still Norman) nor is it the most iconically Lana (that’ll always be Ultraviolence), it’s an intimate, emotional, and largely successful renewal of her artistic vows: to follow her heart, her muses, her unfashionable desires -- no matter what it brings out in other people. It’s rarely easy to be Lana Del Rey, but Chemtrails will make you glad that somebody is doing it."

Entertainment weekly: B

Spoiler

"Chemtrails is less a full transformation than the first step forward in another direction. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
holy scheisse

I can't wait to listen!!! Been waiting allllll day to listen to it once im done work :) 

imnotyourbabe10

It really grew on me today!  Listened to it twice now.  It's like the best of her previous records if you ask me.  A wonderful mix of sounds, with some new elements thrown in as well.

JoanneMonster

It's my least favorite lana album but she deserves the success and the acclaim so good for her

I See You

FfFfFfFF
16 minutes ago, COOOK said:

How is it, compared to her previous works?

The score is her highest ever.

Born to Die - 62; Paradise - 64; Ultraviolence - 74; Honeymoon - 78; Lust for Life - 77; Norman ****ing Rockwell - 87

Almost every album has a higher score than the one behind it. :bradley:

BUtterfield 8
9 minutes ago, Alvaro Moreno Ullrich said:

It's called COCC.

there’s a T for THE 

Definitely feels more intimate and not as grand as NFR! which is cute but it also feels like Ive heard every song before but I always feel this with her music haha

SpiritBunny
1 minute ago, Mars said:

Definitely feels more intimate and not as grand as NFR! which is cute but it also feels like Ive heard every song before but I always feel this with her music haha

This, but tbh I haven't stanned her since Born To Die :toofunny:

Archived