Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
celeb

Republicans demanding hearings on C-ship abuse, citing Britney's case

Gimme More

Featured Posts

Gimme More

They cite Britney's conservatorship case as an example. 

The American Civil Liberties Union says that conservatorships should be viewed with skepticism and used as a last resort. Jordan and Gaetz say there are countless Americans trapped in these arrangements with little recourse, unable to manage their own affairs or make decisions about their finances.

“The House Committee on the Judiciary is charged with safeguarding the rights affording to Americans by the U.S. Constitution. These rights include having the free will to guide one’s own affairs and the legal autonomy over one’s own finances. When situations suggest the unjust deprivation of those rights by the government, we have an obligation to conduct oversight and explore potential remedies,” the letter states.

“In recent years, there has been growing public concern about the use of conservatorships to effectively deprive individuals of personal freedoms at the behest of others through the manipulation of the courts,” the letter, submitted on Mar. 8, continues.

“The most striking example is perhaps the case of multi-platinum performing artist Britney Spears,” Gaetz and Jordan write.

“The facts and circumstancing giving rise to this arrangement remain in dispute but involve questionable motives and legal tactics by her father and now-conservator, Jamie Spears,” the letter says, later stating that despite the musician’s “pleas,” her father remains a conservator of her estate.

“It’s no secret that my client does not want her father as co-conservator, but we recognize that removal is a separate issue,” the singer’s attorney said, addressing the court, at a hearing last month.

In the letter, Gaetz writes, “Ms. Spears is not alone…Given the constitutional freedoms at stake and opaqueness of these arrangements, it is incumbent upon our Committee to convene a hearing to examine whether Americans are trapped unjustly in conservatorships.”

#JusticeForBritney ♡

Franch Toast

Imagine if they actually do something good for once. 

She/Her/Hers

Ana Bohueles

So are we finally gonna stop demonizing and targeting something that, at the end of the day, is a part of our democratic system?

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Imagine if they actually do something good for once. 

Just wait, this is probably just a PR plan for them. They've been trying to restart culture wars, and they'll try to spin Britney's situation into something about "liberal elites in the music industry canceling our country racists".

Purr more, hiss less.

FATCAT
7 minutes ago, Ana Bohueles said:

So are we finally gonna stop demonizing and targeting something that, at the end of the day, is a part of our democratic system?

What?

Purr more, hiss less.

xoxo Craig
12 minutes ago, Ana Bohueles said:

Women?

End Racism Now

Ana Bohueles
Just now, FATCAT said:

What?

There's been fights in this forum with few republican users, or people that weren't even republican but "dared" to question Biden and Kamala (which thank g*d they're already being proved to be worth sh_t while they break every single promise they've made) or any other president's policies, like Obama and his direct relation with belic conflicts... ...like bombing certain countries for free, which for some people directly meant that you're a racist, homo&transphobic, Trump supporter

HuffsAhoy

Matt Gaetz is behind this initiative?! :air:

Regardless I actually like this. I know of a few "regular people" conservatorships that would make Britney's look like a kindergarten play. 

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

bionic
13 minutes ago, HuffsAhoy said:

Matt Gaetz is behind this initiative?! :air:

Regardless I actually like this. I know of a few "regular people" conservatorships that would make Britney's look like a kindergarten play. 

buy bionic

HuffsAhoy
Just now, bionic said:

Oh my god :ladyhaha:

You remind me that it's such a wonderful thing to love.

Bleachella
53 minutes ago, Ana Bohueles said:

no ? **** republicans. just because something is part of the “democratic system” does not mean it should not be targeted and removed. 

Archived