Sign in to follow this  
society

#BoycottAmazon Trending

27monster27

https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/03/05/week-long-boycott-of-amazon-planned-over-union-busting-attempts-in-alabama/

Amazon has been mostly against its unions for years. People, specifically those in Alabama, are not happy about this. Protests have begun, and many people are calling to boycott Amazon for a week in support of the protests. #BoycottAmazon in now trending on Twitter. The boycott calls for people to not use Amazon Prime, Alexa, or buy anything off of Amazon.

he/him/his
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 4

pachinko

Guess I should cancel my corporate job interview with them next week? 

• LMAO 3

MotherOfPuppies
Posted (edited)

I just ordered a birthday present (prime) for my mom. :huntyga: :bradley:

Edited by MotherOfPuppies
I have to laugh.

Lucas
16 minutes ago, pachinko said:

Guess I should cancel my corporate job interview with them next week? 

Nop! This is about you making money + this boycott won't change anything

• Like 1

River

I'm boycotting them since I moved to Costa Rica and discovered that they are abusing the employees here with a disgusting salary, something like $900 a month

I'd rather be dead but I guess I'm alive ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Shook 2

Guest WhoDoWeHaveHere

this will just show that those trending hashtags mean nothing… the kraken that is amazon already has it's grip around the western world, some people with a twitter account won't change that. last time i checked the taylorswiftisover party wasn't really over either :yennefer:

bionic

The century long smear campaign against labor unions in this country is just too much :saladga:

i don’t know how we’re meant to overcome it

buy bionic
  • Like 2

MotherOfPuppies
Posted (edited)

I, actually, try to avoid amazon as much as I can, because they don't only treat their employees badly (from what I heard) but they also treat the merchants very very badly who sell their goods on the platform. I could tell u plenty of stories...

Edited by MotherOfPuppies
I have to laugh.

Healed My Heart
Posted (edited)

I struggle with this one a lot. There are certain businesses I flat out refuse to engage with, and in principle I'd like to do that with Amazon, but I find it more difficult with them.

I'm in an area with a TON of Amazon delivery drivers bc we have same-day service here. They are employing a lot of people during the pandemic, and seem to be hiring all the time. The conditions for the drivers and warehouse workers are definitely not ideal, but there are abundant jobs which we all know are tough to come by right now. So not shopping with them directly impacts the volume of drivers and warehouse workers they need. I'm not sure how to strike a balance with the shorter term thinking that people just need work right now, and the longer term goal of making those working conditions better.

I also know Amazon is ruthless and always takes the long view in their business strategies. A temporary boycott is nothing to them in the short term if it means continuing to prevent workers from organizing in the long run. And people are relying so much on delivery during the pandemic, I'm not sure there are enough people that would be willing to boycott to make a big impact anyway.

It feels like a lose lose situation. For now, I've chosen to not order anything from Amazon that I can easily get from another retailer, but to allow myself the convenience of Amazon when it feels needed. I don't know what's right :huh:

Edit: I realized this particular boycott is for a week, I'll def at least participate in that

Edited by Healed My Heart
She / her

KanyeWest

Id be lost without amazon, id love to boycott it but i cant

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone