Sign in to follow this  
science

Researchers discover three deep-sea sharks glow in the dark

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)

skynews-glow-sharks-bioluminescent_5290789.jpg?bypass-service-worker&20210303032825

Scientists studying sharks off New Zealand have discovered that three deep-sea species glow in the dark – including one that is now the largest-known luminous vertebrate.

Bioluminescence – the production of visible light through a chemical reaction by living organisms – is a widespread phenomenon among marine life but this is the first time it has been documented and analysed in the kitefin shark, the blackbelly lanternshark, and the southern lanternshark.

The researchers, from the Université Catholique de Louvain in Belgium and the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand, said the findings had repercussions for our understanding of life in the deep sea; one of the least-studied ecosystems on the planet.

The sharks all live in what is known as the mesopelagic or “twilight” zone of the ocean, between 200 and 1,000 metres deep, beyond which sunlight does not penetrate. Seen from below, the sharks appear backlit against the bright surface of the water, leaving them exposed to potential predators without any place to hide.

Researchers suggest these three species’ glowing underbellies may help camouflage them from any threats that might strike from beneath.

GLow.jpeg?tr=w-1200,h-900

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/02/giant-luminous-shark-researchers-discover-that-three-deep-sea-sharks-glow-in-the-dark

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 4
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 1
  • Shook 4

Lucas

Isn't nature crazy? There's no light there so it found a way to bring light with all the luminous sharks/fish etc...

• Like 6
  • Shook 1

MotherOfPuppies

I love sharks! I find them so fascinating

hungry ice cream GIF

I have to laugh.

TimisaMonster

Baby loves to Glow in the Daaaaaark! 

Cuz when he's hunting he tears apart! 

:ladyhaha:

Stream my new single🔹️"Sapphire Phoenix"🔹️on Spotify!
  • LMAO 2

SevenWonder

I'm SUCH A NERD for stuff like this. Just love it.

JusKeepBreathin
Posted (edited)

What predators eat deep sea sharks "from below?" That's already too scary for me. :saladga:

Edited by JusKeepBreathin
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Jose P
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Lucas said:

Isn't nature crazy? There's no light there so it found a way to bring light with all the luminous sharks/fish etc...

Well yes you just described evolution. The animals adapted to the dark conditions by developing the ability to project their own light.

Edited by Jose P

Eido
3 hours ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

What predators eat deep sea sharks "from below?" That's already too scary for me. :saladga:

We don't want to know :triggered:

JoeMo

So cool 

www.youtube.com/jmremixes