Sign in to follow this  
society

UK & Ireland to bid for 2030 World Cup [soccer]

bionic
Posted (edited)

Boris Johnson has said he would "love" to see the UK host the 2030 World Cup.

In a push to encourage sport post-pandemic, the prime minister has offered Britain's stadiums for the whole European Championship but also said he wants the World Cup to come to the UK. He tweeted: "Let's bring football home in 2030.

"I would love for the home of football to host the 2030 World Cup, and it would be a wonderful thing for the whole country to savour.

"We want to do much more to encourage sport post-pandemic and see a bonanza of football in the years ahead."

Uruguay is expected to win the hosting position, where it would commemorate 100 years since the 1st world cup (hosted in Uruguay).

https://news.sky.com/story/pm-offers-britains-stadiums-for-all-of-the-european-championship-with-eyes-on-2030-world-cup-bid-12233217

Edited by bionic
buy bionic
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Dolly

Absolute waste of money. 
 

Plus, the United Kingdom won’t be a thing in 2030. 

Blue smoke is the heartbreak train
  • LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
vyniildisk
Just now, Miss Dolly said:

 

Plus, the United Kingdom won’t be a thing in 2030. 

Shocked Rihanna GIF

 

bold statement

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Dolly
Just now, Dulo Peep said:

Shocked Rihanna GIF

 

bold statement

It’s true. Scotland will be independent by 2025/2026. Wales won’t be that far behind. Ireland will reunification. 

Blue smoke is the heartbreak train
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
2 minutes ago, Miss Dolly said:

Plus, the United Kingdom won’t be a thing in 2030. 

Doesn't matter, hosting would be a joint effort one way or another. It's FIFA's way forward. In 2026, Canada, USA, and Mexico are sharing hosting responsibiltiies.

buy bionic
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dominic

Brilliant if it happens, it'll generate so much money like the Olympics. I can see a lot of countries wanting to host though to improve their economies after covid so competition will be tough. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
Just now, Dominic said:

Brilliant if it happens, it'll generate so much money like the Olympics. I can see a lot of countries wanting to host though to improve their economies after covid so competition will be tough. 

FIFA is corrupt so expect the highest bidder to win 

buy bionic
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Dolly
1 minute ago, bionic said:

Doesn't matter, hosting would be a joint effort one way or another. It's FIFA's way forward. In 2026, Canada, USA, and Mexico are sharing hosting responsibiltiies.

Really hope not. We have bigger problems that host a couple of football teams. 

Blue smoke is the heartbreak train

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dominic
Just now, bionic said:

FIFA is corrupt so expect the highest bidder to win 

Yeah, I'd imagine that would be the case tbh

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
1 minute ago, Miss Dolly said:

Really hope not. We have bigger problems that host a couple of football teams. 

You're right that economically (in general) hosting is a sunk cost for the host nation. FIFA pockets around $5 billion.

buy bionic
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Miss Dolly
1 minute ago, bionic said:

You're right that economically (in general) hosting is a sunk cost for the host nation. FIFA pockets around $5 billion.

I will be signing any petitions against hosting the World Cup. 

Blue smoke is the heartbreak train
  • Like 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
gabeoz
7 minutes ago, Dominic said:

Brilliant if it happens, it'll generate so much money like the Olympics. I can see a lot of countries wanting to host though to improve their economies after covid so competition will be tough. 

But lots of countries don’t want it which is why countries making joint bids is becoming a thing. The World Cup costs billions for the host country and almost never returns on the investment and continues to drain money years after because the built facilities often remain empty. No to mention how so often poor communities are forcefully torn down with thousands-hundreds of thousands evicted from their homes to build stadiums, training centers, shopping, etc. 

The biggest reason why western countries are doing joint bids is because not only does it offset the cost of the event alone through splitting, but they have existing infrastructure and stadiums to be used for the events to reduce the cost further, which helps drastically reduce the amount of abandoned buildings and venues following the games if they were already in use before.

  • Like 2

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
9 minutes ago, gabeoz said:

But lots of countries don’t want it which is why countries making joint bids is becoming a thing. The World Cup costs billions for the host country and almost never returns on the investment and continues to drain money years after because the built facilities often remain empty. No to mention how so often poor communities are forcefully torn down with thousands-hundreds of thousands evicted from their homes to build stadiums, training centers, shopping, etc. 

The biggest reason why western countries are doing joint bids is because not only does it offset the cost of the event alone through splitting, but they have existing infrastructure and stadiums to be used for the events to reduce the cost further, which helps drastically reduce the amount of abandoned buildings and venues following the games if they were already in use before.

One of the reasons for this is the stadium size criteria. A lot of countries just don't have or need stadiums ranging between 40,000 (for every stadium in the World Cup) to 80,000 (for the finals). Which is why Qatar is building them afresh through slave labor

buy bionic

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jill

Not giving Uruguay the chance to host it (South America for that matter) to celebrate 100 years would be unthinkable. They will not win the bid and in the process they will just burn money.

Addicted to inserting myself into messy threads.
  • Thanks 1

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
3 minutes ago, Jill said:

Not giving Uruguay the chance to host it (South America for that matter) to celebrate 100 years would be unthinkable. They will not win the bid and in the process they will just burn money.

England has bid 5 times and hosted once. Germany has bid 8 times and hosted twice. Qatar and Paraguay (so far) are the only countries to bid once and get it.

buy bionic

Share


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...