politics

Minimum Wage Hike Out of Order, Says Parliamentarian

StarstruckIllusion

Kamala be the hero challenge 

• LMAO 3
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 2

JRCF29

Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth McDonough has ruled that it would be out of order for Senators to use reconciliation to pass a minimum wage hike, a huge setback for progressive Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who has championed the proposal as chair of the Budget Committee.

McDonough ruled late Thursday evening that any provision focused on a $15 (or any amount) minimum wage would need 60 votes to pass the body, as it was not directly related to the deficit. 

The move is a win for the entire GOP conference, which has balked at what they see as an irrelevant policy change being included in COVID relief, and centrist Democrats like Sens. Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona, who broke with party leaders to criticize its inclusion. 

The ruling is nonbinding, but senior White House officials have confirmed that Vice President Kamala Harris will not challenge it, which means the minimum wage increase will be stripped from the bill in the coming days. 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Sad 1

imnotyourbabe10

Vote blue not matter who.  We can push them further left!

Reaction Gif GIF by MOODMAN

:saladga:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Gagaloo911

And of course WEAK Dems aren't going to fight it, when Harris could overrule and they could easily move forward.

Then we wonder why Dems get such a bad rep. Hate Republicans all you want, I know I do, but at least they have balls and aren't afraid to use their power when they have it.

Establishment Dems can't relate.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

JRCF29
Just now, Gagaloo911 said:

And of course WEAK Dems aren't going to fight it, when Harris could overrule and they could easily move forward.

Then we wonder why Dems get such a bad rep. Hate Republicans all you want, I know I do, but at least they have balls and aren't afraid to use their power when they have it.

Establishment Dems can't relate.

Will be interesting to see how this impacts the relationship between Bernie and Biden...

Don't Call Me Gaga

gypsy101

the title of this thread makes this sound like there will be no minimum wage whatsoever lmao

PartySick

As much as I disagree with the minimum wage hike being part of the relief bill (in fear of delaying or killing it) this makes no sense.

If the GOP can pass a tax break (twice) and restructure in the Reagan years then Dems should be able to adjust the federal minimum wage :flop:

Oh well though. They'll pick up the fight later when the situation (covid) is less dire, I'm sure.

🧡No matter what you do, I'm still gonna be here🧡

Lion Heart

God dammit. 

Why is it that Democrats ALWAYS find a way to shoot themselves in the foot. :saladga:

They screwed over the $2K checks-out-the door narrative already by STUPIDLY going for $1.4K checks for NO ****ing reason. They are not even pretending to fight for a 15 dollar min wage outside of the progressive block. 

Edit: I have just read that the Senate NEEDS 50 votes to sustain any objection made by the Vice President. Sinema and Manchin are a likely no. I'm trying to figure out how Kelly and Sinema can be so different when the SAME VOTERS sent them to the Senate. Also why wouldn't a West Virginian NOT want a 15 dollar min wage? The only ones who I can see genuinely objecting to this are perhaps small business owners who we need to work with to help them transition that process. 

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
  • Like 1

Lion Heart

I'm watching CNN right now.

THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT TRUMPS HYPOTHETICAL RUN FOR PRESIDENT.

JESUS CHRIST. :saladga:

The segment started about the 15 dollar min wage, they spoke 30 SECONDS ON IT, then moved on to Trump. I literally can't. Holy ****.

• Sad 2

Lion Heart

MSNBC is covering the Parliamentarian's decision about excluding the $15 min wage... They make no mention that Kamala Harris could overrule him (with 50 votes). 

Also the House is about to vote on a Covid bill tomorrow that includes the $15 min wage... delaying the final covid relief bill..

Lawrence O'Donnell is saying that perhaps the Dems can include the $15 min wage in other "must-pass" bills, while one of his guests was saying that perhaps there will be a standalone 15MW bill.

I'm just..

E Z

Our country is absolutely broken if democrats don’t at least do this one thing. 

The minimum wage should be way over $15 if it kept up with inflation. This isn’t up for debate anymore. The jig is up. Comporte politicians will vote in favor of corporate interests no matter what. 

Edited by E Z
  • Like 1

Cookie Tookie

VoTe BlUe No Ma—- b*tch please.

• Like 1