🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
society

Covid-19 New Variants Push Up Herd Immunity Requirement Estimates To 90%

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/7655495/coronavirus-vaccine-variants-herd-immunity-health-canada/amp/

Health Canada has re-evaluated herd immunity given new data and stats with the new variants which have forced it to raise herd immunity estimates

With the original strain of Covid-19 it was estimated that only 60% to 70% had to be either vaccinated or exposed to virus to reach herd immunity and stop spread of virus

Now with the more infectious variants, that estimate has been revised up to 85% and possibly 90%.

90% makes it as high as the super contagious viruses like measles

Edited by Economy
  • Shook 6

iAstroLeo

I feel bad for the 10% who won't get vaccinated in time for the Chromatica ball :selena: 

• LMAO 1

homomo

Is it evil to want a healthy, middle aged, anti-vax individual to get a very serious case of Covid once the majority of people are vaccinated?

Like, maybe Karen from Mississippi will finally realize how serious this is once she’s hospitalized for two weeks with breathing problems after catching Covid from an anti-mask rally.

Obviously, I don’t want anyone to die. Just to experience first-hand what they are fighting against.

• Like 2

Economy
37 minutes ago, homomo said:

Is it evil to want a healthy, middle aged, anti-vax individual to get a very serious case of Covid once the majority of people are vaccinated?

Like, maybe Karen from Mississippi will finally realize how serious this is once she’s hospitalized for two weeks with breathing problems after catching Covid from an anti-mask rally.

Obviously, I don’t want anyone to die. Just to experience first-hand what they are fighting against.

Lowkey same :enigma:

Like i dont want anyone to have to go as far as to actually die or even get permanent harm from it, but some ppl could at least use a serious and difficult couple weeks of serious symptoms to finally take it seriously tho :madge:

Economy
2 hours ago, GagaSine said:

:air: going great...

If these estimates are true its gonna be a bummer cuz i dont see 90% of population being willing to take vaccine

Fortunately some experts disagree and have counter arguments that suggest the true number required will ultimately be lower due to probabilities and variables that have to be factored in to ultimately get a more accurate estimate

For example ppl in higher risk occupations such as ones who deal with a lot of customers that are more likely to transmit it, or ppl who simply dont care and dont social distance are also disproportionately much more likely to get infected (and thus gain at least partial immunity) than someone who socially distances or has a lower risk of transmission job

Given not every individual carries the same risk of spreading virus and the highest risk are also more likely to get infected in higher numbers earlier... in reality the true herd immunity will not need to get as high as current spread rates would suggest

But even so it would certainly still have to be a pretty high percentsge

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

sarahb
1 hour ago, homomo said:

I mean Trump didn't seem to take it anymore seriously after he was infected

• Like 1

Economy
21 minutes ago, sarahb said:

I mean Trump didn't seem to take it anymore seriously after he was infected

#1... Well we dont know how sick he truly was. Tho there was medical intervention that could of partially been because of who he was as president and ample precautions taken. His level of sickness may not have actually been severe enough and reach threshold needed for any hospitalization much less bigger interventions had he been a regular person for all we know

#2 even if he was severely ill we know hes the kind of person who is incapable of learning a lesson and growing wiser. Some ppl just cannot take irrefutable evidence and facts and/or experiences and grow from it so we should not be surprised :enigma:

• Like 1

MillionReasons07

Goodbye normal life. No country will reach this without a binding law from the government. 

Regina George

I can’t even explain how much I hate this situation.