🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
science

Newborn megalodons larger than humans, scientists say

FfFfFfFF

5ffddd6e2a5aff0018820ccf?width=1136&form

Enormous megatooth sharks, or megalodons, which patrolled the world’s oceans more than three million years ago, gave birth to babies larger than most adult humans, scientists say.

Researchers made the unsettling discovery when they X-rayed the vertebra of a fossilised megalodon and found that it must have been about two metres (6.5 ft) long when it was born.

Remnants of megalodons, which lived in most of the world’s oceans from 15m to 3.6m years ago, have revealed that adults grew to more than 15 metres in length, but until now their size at birth was unclear.

“The new study is really the first of its kind for megalodon that has given us good insight into its size at birth, reproductive mode and growth pattern,” said Kenshu Shimada, a professor of palaeobiology who led the research at DePaul University in Chicago.

Shimada_winter_2021.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/11/baby-shark-newborn-megalodons-larger-than-humans-scientists-say

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Love 2

Lady Papa

yes daddy swallow me whole :saladga:

Formerly known as LadyGoo

CCSir

Just reading about this makes me feel all weird inside... I'm so terrified of sharks.

• Like 1

RAMROD

All of them are extinct, I believe? And for good reason, the world is too small for these fxckers, so Jebus be like, "well shxt, hit that reset button!" LMAO

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 🏳️‍🌈 Wiccan ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜 Hulkling 🏳️‍🌈 Forever 🏳️‍🌈
  • LMAO 2

MJHolland

Can you imagine a 50 foot shark like omfg

• Shook 1

homomo

If you're afraid of giant animals, never Google the Megarachne 

shoful
5 minutes ago, homomo said:

Please post a pic

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Dulo Peep

they still babies and we should protect them at all costs

dul0_pEEP in your Areaaah!

homomo
5 minutes ago, shoful said:

Please post a pic

Nah. I know many people are afraid of spiders, and scrolling through a thread of sharks only to find a giant ancient spider might cause unnecessary anxiety

Edited by homomo
  • Thanks 1

shoful
1 minute ago, homomo said:

Nah. I know many people are afraid of spiders, and scrolling through a thread of sharks only to find a giant ancient spider might cause unnecessarily anxiety

Omg I didn’t know it was a spider. I wouldve cried and puked and then **** myself :rip:

I am curious to see how big it is but i will have nightmares to the end if time

Edited by shoful

homomo
5 minutes ago, shoful said:

Omg I didn’t know it was a spider. I wouldve cried and puked and then **** myself :rip:

I am curious to see how big it is but i will have nightmares to the end if time

It’s the first arachnid that thrived on land. It’s a mix of a spider and scorpion, with the front looking like a spider with a maw, pincers, and eight legs, and the back having a scorpions stinger.

It grew to about 55cm, or almost 2ft. Making it the largest known arachnid in existence.

i can post a fossilized photo if that’s easier for you?

Edited by homomo
  • Shook 1

shoful
3 minutes ago, homomo said:

It’s the first arachnid that thrived on land. It’s a mix of a spider and scorpion, with the front looking like a spider with a maw, pincers, and eight legs, and the back having a scorpions stinger.

It grew to about 55cm, or almost 2ft. Making it the largest known arachnid in existence.

i can post a fossilized photo if that’s easier for you?

Please no. Thank you for the description though. I cannot even imagine a 2 foot spider 🤮🤮. When you first posted i was lowkey imagining something ginormous like in lord of the rings or Harry potters

• Like 1

RAMROD
1 hour ago, homomo said:

Everyhting is extra large in that era. Even the turtle were gigantic, like are you serious rn?!! Look at these shell fossil!

2000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 🏳️‍🌈 Wiccan ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜 Hulkling 🏳️‍🌈 Forever 🏳️‍🌈
  • Shook 1