The Guardian: ROM best song of the year

Slovakialop

Featured Posts

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HausOfAntonio
2 hours ago, Regina George said:

I’m sorry I love Gaga with all my heart but ROM, WAP and Savage over Blinding Lights and Physical? This list is just not it. Sometimes you gotta be objective. 

And don’t try to drag me for being objective. I am happy to see Gaga on the list but ROM is not the best song of 2020 sonically or lyrically. 

There’s no way to be truly objective about this. To me ROM is OBJECTIVELY better than BL and Physical, but obviously to you they are not :selena:

Regina George
30 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

But...how are you being objective when you're a person and not omniscient? :laughga: It's okay to say that you personally disagree with the ranking, but it sounds to me like you don't really enjoy rap to which how could this be an "objective" opinion? Most folks that listen to rap and reviewed both Savage and WAP gave it some pretty stellar reviews. It's fine if you don't personally like them, but they both captured moments this year (that there is just an objective fact), started conversation (also not a deniable fact here), had clever lyricism, and memorable productions (measuring that by the degree of their virality so also a fairly objective metric; you know WAP the *second* you hear that sample line).

I won't slam you for having an opinion, that's not my business, but it can't really be an objective one and if we *do* look at some of the objective metrics like relevancy (which seems to be pretty important to this list), these 3 songs get pretty well justified by the list writer.

Okay then the best measurement of objective likeness should be the overall popularity and success of songs. And I'll let that speak for itself. 

2 minutes ago, Regina George said:

Okay then the best measurement of objective likeness should be the overall popularity and success of songs. And I'll let that speak for itself. 

In that case Dance Monkey is a better song than anything Dua Lipa has ever released because it’s “overall more popular and successful”? 

Regina George
1 minute ago, Adarsh said:

In that case Dance Monkey is a better song than anything Dua Lipa has ever released because it’s “overall more popular and successful”? 

No but Blinding Lights THE most popular and well known song of 2020 is :vegas:

I'm sorry but why do y'all drag me because I like Dua? Just because I do doesn't mean I think she's the best singer ever... That's a concept of fandom y'all should research 

Just now, Regina George said:

I'm sorry but why do y'all drag me because I like Dua? 

We love Dua too but Physical being your favourite doesn’t mean it’s objectively better than ROM. Its as simple as that. 

Curunir
3 minutes ago, Regina George said:

No but Blinding Lights THE most popular and well known song of 2020 is :vegas:

I'm sorry but why do y'all drag me because I like Dua? Just because I do doesn't mean I think she's the best singer ever... That's a concept of fandom y'all should research 

I think people disagreed with you because you wrongly used the word "objectively" when clearly this was a discussion about subjective opinions :shrug:

Just now, Curunir said:

I think people disagreed with you because you wrongly used the word "objectively" when clearly this was a discussion about subjective opinions :shrug:

I mean who even gets to decide what’s objective? It’s pop music not brain surgery:laughga:

Regina George
Just now, Adarsh said:

We love Dua too but Physical being your favourite doesn’t mean it’s objectively better than ROM. Its as simple as that. 

And you chose to completely ignore everything else I said. I didn't say you have to like her or whatever. I said I like her BUT I am able to tell when someone releases better music. Person who quoted me mentioned songs popularity and recognition on first listen and therefore I said "Then in that case we should let popularity speak for itself" (because person said so, not because I think so. Like I said I like Gaga but ROM is far from being the best song of 2020 and I honestly don't understand why y'all started attacking me like some zombies who are not able to form their own opinions and who blindly follow everything Gaga does without ever questioning it. I said okay I'm happy for her because I love her BUT I am still able to see that ROM is not it. It was no1 but longevity was no where to be seen and 90% of casual listeners don't know it even exists. I am so sorry if for some of you that is so hard to believe. I just don't understand that concept where y'all just have to hail everything this woman does EVEN WHEN it gets false and undeserving recognition. I won't be answering anymore to people blindly attacking what I said without even looking at the whole picture. 

AND PLEASE for the love of God... Just because I have Dua photo and because I think her last album is great don't drag me on that basis. I do like her but at the same time I don't think everything she does is THAT great. I am able to see the whole picture. 

5 minutes ago, Regina George said:

BUT I am able to tell when someone releases better music.

ROM is far from being the best song of 2020

And who gave you the power to decide that? The Queen of England? :billie:

JusKeepBreathin

Where's Rockstar? The fact that it has better lyrics and production that about 15 songs on that list. 

This list wants to be edgy but fails miserably. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

Serial Chiller

Lmao looking at the supposed critic in this thread getting worked up over somebody’s favorite list. :billie:

Galactic Mess

I don't know if it's the best song, but it's surely one of them, along with Physical and Blinding Lights.

DanielM

If fans are not allowed to show their love for this particular song or any other from Chromatica on this site, where are they supposed to do so? :oprah: Jesus, let people enjoy things, stop calling them zombies without critical thinking just because they have a positive opinion about their favourite singer (how shocking) 

Archived