💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The Main Problem with Chromatica

GovernmentGaga

Featured Posts

Well this write up is sorta biased because it starts off essentially by saying “the album is aight” :bear: I don’t think that because Gaga seemed to “bury” Chromatica that it has anything to do with how much she healed from the album. It’s deeply personal at times and she doesn’t have to promote it heavily if she doesn’t want to. It’s your assumption if you feel it doesn’t mean anything to Gaga because she’s not whoring it out on every street corner. Fans who have been with her since ARTPOP should know by now she found the heavy promotion schedules to be very toxic. They should also know that Gaga has hundreds of songs that she wasn’t comfortable releasing because she didn’t want to put them through the system of the music industry.

Ive always felt bad for Gaga because she obviously has very good ideas but they always get watered down because she’s a pop star. So many ideas on Chromatica could have been taken SO MUCH FURTHER. It kinda frustrates me. She just needs to let go of the pop persona and focus on art and music that isn’t so commercialized. I feel like it would greatly benefit her.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FRANK1991

I have mixed feeling about it.

Sure, we all would like her to promote her album and release videos...

But at the same time, this women released an amazing album and is that not enough? 

Sometimes I find the fans to be so needy like give her a break she already gave us an album she can now rest until she release another one! :trollga: Chromatica probably drained her emotionally :koons:

Guys she's 34 now not like 23 when she had all that energy to do everything at once :wtfga:

I guess I'm just putting myself in her shoes coz if it was me I would just take a loooong break once I finish a project and not have to think about if it did well or not :ohwell: hahahaha

Cause once you let it go you better know it's gone

OMonster
1 hour ago, APPLAUSE4YOU said:

While I can admit my last remark may not nail the OP's discussion, you seem to think you know that she doesn't "seem to love or live the work she has produced" is still out of context. THE WORLD HAS BIGGER ISSUES AND SHE IS AN ADULT. She is not a pop culture obsessed brat that only cares about art when the world is in a crisis. You say many fans of Gaga stan her for the passion in her art/music but you discount how many people also stan her for her humanitarian efforts and leadership she presents outside of her music career. Such a selfish argument that you still lose. 

I think your argument is laced with a lot of platitude, but I accept that's your view. 

I never said Gaga was a self-obsessed brat who only cares about art. 

Gaga chose to go ahead and release the album in a crisis - just like many other artists. 

The difference is that she didn't prioritise it alongside humanitarian efforts - unlike many other artists. 

If you stan Gaga for her philanthropy - fine. But most of us don't... it's a piece of the puzzle that makes Gaga so great, but when the biggest piece (her passion and commitment) is missing... the puzzle is incomplete.

subtext / fantasy

OMonster
1 hour ago, KNJ said:

So how do you differentiate promotion and content?

I think content usually IS promotion (even an entire album) - but not all content has to be promo for promo's sake. 

Taylor Swift's recent folklore documentary, for example, is promo, yes, but it's also a great piece of content that is clearly a passion project that exists not just for the coins. 

Zane Lowe interviews, again, aren't just vapid promo pieces. 

The main differentiator between content and 'just promo' is investment and authenticity. 

You could say, as another example, that a music video is promo... which it is... but it's so much more than that, you know?

That 'more than' is the difference - and it's what Chromatica has lacked in comparison to her previous projects.

subtext / fantasy

I agree with many of your points, however I would argue that the problem was due to both quality and commitment. The quality (lyrically) is average at best and doesn’t possess much deep meaning. As a result, she can’t fully stand behind the artistry of this album, and so she’s less committed to it. The album feels as much as a side project as haus labs. If she truly thought believed in quality or message, she’d stand behind it more.  

and when we say problem, we all know it’s not really a problem lol. The album sold well, was nominated for 2 grammys and had a #1 single. 

9 hours ago, SHALLOW said:

Gurl don t delude yourself. No one's gonna promote their album after one year. It's not gonna work anymore.

Your crystal ball is impressive.

They will use re-release strategy most likely. 

Chromatican

Chromatica is a solid album, and we've gotten three visuals which are some of her best since the Born This Way era. The US was going through massive upheaval due to the BLM movement and Covid was still in its infancy when the release was initially planned. Unfortunately this will probably be Gaga's first era without a tour which is definitely disappointing, but the concept and music is in my opinion a step up from Joanne. Joanne era was saved by the Super Bowl, whereas Chromatica gave Gaga a top 5 solo hit, a #1 album, a #1 collab and Gaga's most critically acclaimed solo effort since Born This Way, not to mention the 911 music video, which is one of her most acclaimed music videos since Telephone. We also had Gaga make a comeback at the VMAs and an underwhelming, but at least decent showing in terms of Grammy nominations. Some of you guys are being overly negative about the era in my opinion. Gaga got screwed over by Covid, Dua had already released two singles by the time the pandemic hit, and Taylor made her album during it. Gaga has other projects planned as well, and her window for promo this era was cut short. You guys act as if Gaga can spend all her time devoted to one project. Gaga has never been an act who is just about the music, she has always straddled different business and career opportunities at once, and since the first half of 2020 was a bad time Chromatica got the short end of the stick. Gaga has to now get ready for the Gucci movie and Bullet Train, as well as focus on her personal relationships. She is not a young and hungry pop star like she was ten years ago, she has other things she wants to prioritize.

numb the flame
26 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

Chromatica is a solid album, and we've gotten three visuals which are some of her best since the Born This Way era. The US was going through massive upheaval due to the BLM movement and Covid was still in its infancy when the release was initially planned. Unfortunately this will probably be Gaga's first era without a tour which is definitely disappointing, but the concept and music is in my opinion a step up from Joanne. Joanne era was saved by the Super Bowl, whereas Chromatica gave Gaga a top 5 solo hit, a #1 album, a #1 collab and Gaga's most critically acclaimed solo effort since Born This Way, not to mention the 911 music video, which is one of her most acclaimed music videos since Telephone. We also had Gaga make a comeback at the VMAs and an underwhelming, but at least decent showing in terms of Grammy nominations. Some of you guys are being overly negative about the era in my opinion. Gaga got screwed over by Covid, Dua had already released two singles by the time the pandemic hit, and Taylor made her album during it. Gaga has other projects planned as well, and her window for promo this era was cut short. You guys act as if Gaga can spend all her time devoted to one project. Gaga has never been an act who is just about the music, she has always straddled different business and career opportunities at once, and since the first half of 2020 was a bad time Chromatica got the short end of the stick. Gaga has to now get ready for the Gucci movie and Bullet Train, as well as focus on her personal relationships. She is not a young and hungry pop star like she was ten years ago, she has other things she wants to prioritize.

honestly as she has these new movies roles coming up, we all know she isn't going to be able to tour Chromatica next summer. I just want her to cancel the tour and refund us all so we can all move on. Obviously I want the Chromatica era to go on but she has these roles so I doubt she is going to tour next year at all. 

SHALLOW
1 hour ago, KORG said:

Your crystal ball is impressive.

They will use re-release strategy most likely. 

:ladyhaha: and when has that ever worked?

numb the flame
2 minutes ago, SHALLOW said:

:ladyhaha: and when has that ever worked?

When they release new material on a reissue is when it would work. It worked with TF / TFM and while I understand the differences between TF / TFM and a reissue of Chromatica I do think a reissue with say five tracks from the recording sessions including alternate mixes of tracks already on the album (e.g Babylon (Early Version) and Free Woman demo) would a) make us happy b) give Gaga even more material to perform if she does decide to perform anything from Chromatica and c) make Interscope even happier as they get to rinse us for even more money :vegas:

Chromatican
1 hour ago, numb the flame said:

When they release new material on a reissue is when it would work. It worked with TF / TFM and while I understand the differences between TF / TFM and a reissue of Chromatica I do think a reissue with say five tracks from the recording sessions including alternate mixes of tracks already on the album (e.g Babylon (Early Version) and Free Woman demo) would a) make us happy b) give Gaga even more material to perform if she does decide to perform anything from Chromatica and c) make Interscope even happier as they get to rinse us for even more money :vegas:

I actually think a reissue is a great idea for the Chromatica era. Release an extended edition, or a Planet Chromatica disc, with some unreleased songs so you can continue the era later on.

MadreMonster
23 hours ago, POP A 911 said:

This. I love Gaga so much, but if you pay attention every album cycle she seems to have some issue she needs to fix. I understand mental health and everything that goes with issues like depression. But it seems like she can never find happiness in her work, and every album she’s unhappy or sad or in pain. Even with Joanne, I find it a little awkward how she feels she needs to heal her father, it makes it sound like her father needs therapy because of how he’s carried his sisters death trauma into his daughters life instead of getting the help he needs so Gaga isn’t traumatized.

I think she tries to uphold strength for her fan base and tries so hard to be the vision of the queen we see her to be. She needs to stop holding herself up to the standards we put up for her and just release what she wants - I know that’s hard considering you have to please the label and the fans but I think a lot of us will follow her no matter where she goes.

numb the flame
2 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

I actually think a reissue is a great idea for the Chromatica era. Release an extended edition, or a Planet Chromatica disc, with some unreleased songs so you can continue the era later on.

I genuinely think this is the best way to "restart" the era with a bang and do everything how they originally planned. Reissue the standard album with three to five new tracks, one or two piano demos and Babylon EV with SL, ROM and 911 music videos, SC lyric video and Gagavision 47 and 48 on a bonus disc or release them on a USB drive like she did for TF, TFM and BTW as a bit of nostalgia for us fans. The USB concept could potentially happen as she did reissue The Fame on its tenth anniversary with a revised version of the original The Fame USB drive.   

Archived