Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

What did the original ARTPOP look like?

brooklyngypsy

Featured Posts

brooklyngypsy

Given a decent number of leaks, including the likes of Ratchet, PARTYNAUSEOUS, Princess High (Stache), it's safe to assume that the original idea for ARTPOP was probably a lot more aggressive EDM and hyperkinetic rave music (possibly inspired by the rising underground trend in trap EDM and SOPHIE/PC Music-adjacent sounds). But by the time the album came out, it was a lot more pop-oriented than what was previously expected. But remnants of this trap EDM sound still linger in songs like Aura, Venus, Swine, Jewels & Drugs, and Manicure, which all also happen to have been performed early on in the album cycle (Swinefest 2013). 

This makes me wonder, what did the original ARTPOP look like? Before management stepped in and started messing with Gaga's creative vision? It always felt like her more trashy and batshit fashion and other elements of ARTPOP (the ArtRave, SXSW Swine performance, etc.) always kinda clashed with other songs on the album, making it feel like it was trying to be too much at once. Don't get me wrong, ARTPOP is still Gaga's best album but it is difficult to say upon first listen, it feels coherent.

So here's my fanmade tracklist for what the original ARTPOP possibly looked like:

1. Aura

2. Venus

3. Manicure

4. Jewels & Drugs

5. PARTYNAUSEOUS

6. Ratchet

7. Princess High (Stache)

8. Swine

9. Mary Jane Holland

10. ARTPOP

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pop Music

where is Temple, Onion Girl, Tea, Sire, and Tinnitus? 

we need those bops on the "OG" ARTPOP too

I still sit here waiting like a clown for them to get leaked if they were ever recorded in some way 

Gaga 💝Taylor 💝Carly Rae 💝Rina 💝MARINA 💝Britney💝Lights 💝Shania 💝Sigrid💝

FfFfFfFF

I agree with your theories. Also, I she said that at one point the album was split into the art and pop side so this also needs to be considered (maybe one EP consisting in rave/ club EDM and one more art pop). There were also rumors of her trying to experiment with R&B sounds (as Sexxx Dreams was being considered for lead single, Cake Like Lady Gaga, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe also happened in this era).

Lord Temptation

The original ARTPOP was going to be a double disc, with side A featuring many of the eventual tracks and side B more introspective. 

I think many of the side B (or Act II) tracks had aggressively maximal trap, rave, EDM, techno, psychedelic trancey beats up to 7 minutes in length.

On a red carpet event somewhere Gaga says that ARTPOP was meant to sound like club kids from 1979 transported into the future and reimagining it.

warhol killer
10 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree with your theories. Also, I she said that at one point the album was split into the art and pop side so this also needs to be considered (maybe one EP consisting in rave/ club EDM and one more art pop). There were also rumors of her trying to experiment with R&B sounds (as Sexxx Dreams was being considered for lead single, Cake Like Lady Gaga, Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe also happened in this era).

7 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

The original ARTPOP was going to be a double disc, with side A featuring many of the eventual tracks and side B more introspective. 

I think many of the side B (or Act II) tracks had aggressively maximal trap, rave, EDM, techno, psychedelic trancey beats up to 7 minutes in length.

On a red carpet event somewhere Gaga says that ARTPOP was meant to sound like club kids from 1979 transported into the future and reimagining it.

This! I also always envisioned it (before the release during 2012) how it was supposed to have 2 sides. I always say it as Act I: ART and Act II: POP. 

warhol killer ✴ GAGA¹⁵

TimisaMonster

The ARTPOP App was supposed to give fans an opportunity to make remixes of the songs, create sculptures that I think you could make and then they'd be delivered to you?, make gifs, play the album, and interact with other fan "auras" in the app!

ACT II was supposed to be a second volume of ARTPOP where she said she wanted to save other songs that weren't released on the first one. I believe we would have gotten TEA, Brooklyn Nights, Tinnitus, Onion Girl, In Like With You, Ratchet, PARTYNAUSEOUS, etc, but due to the poor performance of the album Interscope scrapped the idea. 

It definitely sounded like it was going to be way more experimental type of EDM and the fiberoptic wig was going to be used to play the songs during the tour. They were teasing it to be tech fashion involved which it sort of did, but not in a way Gaga I believe fully wanted. We got Volantis tho lol

If Troy had just stuck out with her for one more era instead of being a greedy bastard...the album could have been another highlight of her career instead of filled with bad memories, disappointing expectations, and an overall dark time of her life

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Debithius
45 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Like this:

ESsYC9OXkAE_Ek-?format=jpg&name=small

This was the intended cover, right?

Venus was done from late September to early October 2013. It wasn't on the “original ARTPOP”. Stache was never meant to be there either. I guess Temple and Heard It On The Radio had a spot

Putang Ina Mo
39 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

1979 transported into the future and reimagining it.

This description is like a definition of the words "future nostalgia"

my username says it all 🇵🇭

Better Day

We will never know. 
CLLG &Stache was made for fun, never intended for ARTPOP.

Partynaueos was a collab was a scrapped with Kendrick Lamar but was scrapped. Later worked into the artRAVE, never intended for ARTPOP 

Tinnitus was never recorded. Only the instrumental was made, later leaked. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was worked into another song. 

I think the songs on ARTPOP was watered down rather than scrapped songs 

Together You And I!

PropaGaga

I spoke with DJWS in 2013 about the album when "Applause" was released, and he said Gaga wouldn't continue work on something if she wasn't feeling it, so they always knew what songs were going to end up finished in the end. You can actually see the list of tracks in the album status report that leaked with her legal documents earlier this year:

G.U.Y.
Donatella
Temple
Aura
Sex Dreams
Do What You Want
The Applause
ARTPOP
I Want to Be With You
Manicure
Swine
Brooklyn Nights
Jewels and Drugs
Nothing On But the Radio
Gypsy
Mary Jane Holland
Fashion!
Venus

Obviously from this point on, songs were dropped and/or evolved. I think there's about 9 configurations of this list as those changes were made. Anything that didn't make the cut was to be released as part of an "extended" version of the album downloadable through the app.

Chromatica Island
6 hours ago, Debithius said:

This was the intended cover, right?

Yes and I am glad it wasn't, I really hate the artwork:billie:

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Archived