Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

The certain “tone” Gaga has on some BTW songs

Smother Em Eh

Featured Posts

Smother Em Eh

There is a certain tone Gaga has on some songs on BTW that she hasn’t had ever since that I need help identifying how she sings it. I wanna know what it’s called. I think it’s kinda like a nasally and darker tone maybe I’m not sure. It’s in songs like Marry The Night when she sings, “Lace up my boots, put on some leather and cruise”. On Judas in the beginning the “Oh Ah Ohhhh”. On TEOG when she sings, “There ain’t no reason you and be should be alone”. And on Highway Unicorn when she sings, “Smoking under her toes”. It’s the certain enunciation of “boots” on MTN, “alone” on TEOG and “toes” on Highway Unicorn. The certain way and tone she sings it in. To me it’s very uniquely Gaga and I don’t know how to describe the tone and the way she sings it. Can someone help Identify the way she sings it like light, airy, deep, dark and is it “head voice” or “chest voice” etc. 

Anyone know what I’m talking about here and can help me? 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Justin Drew Bieber

That’s the BTW voice :) I love how the album also has so much echoing with her vocals

Daylight Jokers

I love her BTW tone so much. It's very gritty and soulful yet controlled. This part (the word 'Marry') in her Alan Carr MTN performance is one of my favorite vocal moments from her:

Hybrid AT

It's just the timbre of her voice at that time. Nothing to do with the head voice.

Her voice since then has naturally become deeper. Women's voices change over time. She was 25 then, she's almost 35 now.

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

TimisaMonster

Its just her voice and the added effects too...

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

I know exactly what you’re talking about. It’s like a raspy yet soulful vocal. Miss when Gaga mastered this. :heart: 

Smother Em Eh
17 minutes ago, Justin Drew Bieber said:

That’s the BTW voice :) I love how the album also has so much echoing with her vocals

It’s so fascinating how she goes from light and bubbly to nearly hoarse and dark (verses of Paper Gangster) to Deep and Dark (Bad Romance) to light on Telephone to that certain tone I’m talking about to soothingly raspy (HML) to light and airy (Electric Chapel verses). Then Deep/ Dark (Aura, Dope, Applause) to soft (Sexxx Dreams, Jewels n Drugs verses, ARTPOP, Gypsy verses etc) to light rich and full and powerhouse sounding and soft on Joanne then deep, dark, light etc. on Chromatica. She has so many different “tones”. 

Smother Em Eh
18 minutes ago, TimisaMonster said:

Its just her voice and the added effects too...

But how do you describe the timbre and “tone”?:oprah:

CHROMATICON

She’s just using a very common technique that is used a lot in soul and rock music, I don’t think it has a name tho, but what she does is make her voice a little deeper in an specific vowel and placing the air that's coming out at the top of her palate, that way is sounds deeper and richer, with more attitude and personality. :firega:

high heeled fem

Oh I feeel you :music: that highway unicorn:.. forever a favorite, her tone and those synths :nooo:

2 hours ago, Smother Em Eh said:

But how do you describe the timbre and “tone”?:oprah:

I've always taken tone to mean just the basic sound that someone makes. All singers sing the same notes, but no two sound exactly the same.

I don't think Gaga makes the most distinctive sound I've ever heard, but I do think she makes a beautiful sound, and there is a consistency to it regardless of whether she's singing Marry The Night or a piece of jazz or tell me something boy.

Smother Em Eh
8 hours ago, high heeled fem said:

Oh I feeel you :music: that highway unicorn:.. forever a favorite, her tone and those synths :nooo:

Yeah it’s not a bad song and showcases her BTW voice perfectly. It’s a banger for sure 

Archived