🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Azerbaijan and Armenia clashes erupt

alsemanche

Clashes have begun between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region, with at least one Azerbaijani helicopter shot down. 

Armenia said Azerbaijan had launched an air and artillery attack. It later declared martial law and total military mobilisation.

Azerbaijan said it was responding to shelling along the whole front. Both sides have reported civilian deaths.

Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54314341

:ohno:

This is not a chance to make Gaga-related jokes so please keep them to yourself 

Edited by alsemanche
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 7

Blastertoyo

Inb4 y’all make a sis or 911 joke

:neyde:

• Like 2

alsemanche
1 hour ago, Blastertoyo said:

lemme add that to the post just in case they get brave about this 

Queen Bitch

This is terrible:ohno:

2020 keeps getting worse 

QueenGaga

I’m trying so hard to keep it in.....why did it have to be exactly these two :selena:

This is terrible nonetheless I cant see two countries fight without seeing the loss of life and happiness for its citizens on both sides. I sincerely hope they can make peace 

• Like 4

Curunir
21 minutes ago, QueenGaga said:

I’m trying so hard to keep it in.....why did it have to be exactly these two :selena:

This :air:

• Like 3

mxnster

Well..

We better not be getting WW3 smh

Azor Ahai
1 hour ago, QueenGaga said:

It's literally the 2 meme GGD countries :air:

• LMAO 2

QueenGaga
7 minutes ago, Azor Ahai said:

It's literally the 2 meme GGD countries :air:

nnnnnnnn the kii :selena:

• LMAO 1

Luc

I have little sympathy for Azerbaijan tbh. Went on a vacation to the Caucasus a few years ago with my family. First Armenia, later Azerbaijan. In the train on the Georgian-Azerbaijani border they searched through all of our bags. They took away all things we bought in Armenia, basically thinking we're stupid for thinking we could bring an Armenian souvenir into Azerbaijan. Travel companies usually advice travelling to Armenia first, then Azerbaijan - you just don't experience such hatred towards Azerbaijan in Armenia as you do vice versa.

Plus, Armenia is much more democratic than Azerbaijan, which is literally a dictatorship, while Armenia is actually doing quite well on the democratic front as of late.

p.s. this doesn't mean any judgment towards Armenians or Azerbaijani people, I'm judging the Azerbaijani (unelected) government.

and considering Turkish elections are really far away, Erdogan doesn't really have much of an interest in supporting Azerbaijan here: ultra-nationalists (esp. the neo-fascist/ultra-nationalist MHP, which is a political party in a weird coalition with Erdogan's AKP) who see Azerbaijan as part of Turkey, to be protected against the prime enemies, i.e. Armenians, are a key constituency for Erdogan. But if elections are really far away, the interest of peace in the region will likely prevail. Turkey has no big geopolitical interest in Nagorno-Karabach being Armenian/Azerbaijani, except that it bothers a lot of ultranationalist Turks. Trade and general stability are more important for Erdogan if his re-election is not at stake. Meanwhile, Russia favors Armenia, and Turkey and Russia are trying to become geopolitical friends. If Turkey helped Azerbaijan, Russia would have to protect Armenia if they don't want Armenia to seek protection from the EU/US in the future. But in the bigger picture, both Turkey and Russia know that their growing mutual friendship is worth too much to fight a proxy war over a forgotten region. If these clashes continue and perhaps appear to be descending into a war, I expect Russia and Turkey to force a deal between the two.

Edited by Luc
  • Like 2
  • Shook 1

Economy
2 hours ago, QueenGaga said:

This is terrible nonetheless I cant see two countries fight without seeing the loss of life and happiness for its citizens on both sides. I sincerely hope they can make peace 

2 hours ago, Blastertoyo said:

1 hour ago, Curunir said:

This :air:

By the title I genuinely thought it was a joke thread to do with the 911 video plus Azerbaijan cuz I did not see the politics tag :toofunny:

OT: I hope people stay safe. It's always the innocent that die in greater numbers with these conflicts :(

• Like 2

alsemanche
1 hour ago, Luc said:

I have little sympathy for Azerbaijan tbh. Went on a vacation to the Caucasus a few years ago with my family. First Armenia, later Azerbaijan. In the train on the Georgian-Azerbaijani border they searched through all of our bags. They took away all things we bought in Armenia, basically thinking we're stupid for thinking we could bring an Armenian souvenir into Azerbaijan. Travel companies usually advice travelling to Armenia first, then Azerbaijan - you just don't experience such hatred towards Azerbaijan in Armenia as you do vice versa.

Plus, Armenia is much more democratic than Azerbaijan, which is literally a dictatorship, while Armenia is actually doing quite well on the democratic front as of late.

p.s. this doesn't mean any judgment towards Armenians or Azerbaijani people, I'm judging the Azerbaijani (unelected) government.

and considering Turkish elections are really far away, Erdogan doesn't really have much of an interest in supporting Azerbaijan here: ultra-nationalists (esp. the neo-fascist/ultra-nationalist MHP, which is a political party in a weird coalition with Erdogan's AKP) who see Azerbaijan as part of Turkey, to be protected against the prime enemies, i.e. Armenians, are a key constituency for Erdogan. But if elections are really far away, the interest of peace in the region will likely prevail. Turkey has no big geopolitical interest in Nagorno-Karabach being Armenian/Azerbaijani, except that it bothers a lot of ultranationalist Turks. Trade and general stability are more important for Erdogan if his re-election is not at stake. Meanwhile, Russia favors Armenia, and Turkey and Russia are trying to become geopolitical friends. If Turkey helped Azerbaijan, Russia would have to protect Armenia if they don't want Armenia to seek protection from the EU/US in the future. But in the bigger picture, both Turkey and Russia know that their growing mutual friendship is worth too much to fight a proxy war over a forgotten region. If these clashes continue and perhaps appear to be descending into a war, I expect Russia and Turkey to force a deal between the two.

Good points but sadly Turkey has already sided with Azerbaijan against Turkey 

I fear the worst at this point  

Edited by alsemanche

Economy
8 minutes ago, alsemanche said:

Good points but sadly Turkey has already sided with Azerbaijan against Turkey 

I fear the worst at this point  

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

FfFfFfFF

Turkey is an obvious ally for Azerbaijan given their closeness but I don't see other countries picking sides. Plus, these tensions between them are old and re-current. WW3 is cancelled, we don't know ha. :lana:

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►

QueenGaga
34 minutes ago, Economy said:

By the title I genuinely thought it was a joke thread to do with the 911 video plus Azerbaijan cuz I did not see the politics tag :toofunny:

Yeah i thought it was about Azerbaijan not stanning Gaga without ASIB while Armenia is stanning Gaga :icega:

• LMAO 2