Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Stupid Love using Chromatica I

David Ward

Featured Posts

David Ward

You know what? I'm going to say it.

What-I-Dont-Care-You-Broke-Your-Elbow-Me

I really dislike the fact that Chromatica I was used as the intro for the Stupid Love music video.

Chromatica I symbolizesĀ the beginning of our journey to Chromatica, so it's easy to understand why it was chosen to be attached to theĀ lead single's video. However, I find it so awkwardly placed into the video; It felt rushed in a sense and the action on screen did not match the tone of the track at all. And then we have thatĀ immediate and abrupt cut toĀ Stupid Love. The interludes are meant as transition pieces to the following tracks, so using it incorrectly not only defeats the purpose entirely but it is not executed very well at all.Ā 

Chromatica IĀ is designed to transition into Alice.Ā IfĀ 911Ā is able to retain it's interlude track, then from that, can we extrapolate thatĀ AliceĀ will most likely not beĀ single? I find it hard to believe she would make a music video/film for AliceĀ without using it's interlude.

Spoiler

My honest opinion:

Stupid Love should have been a buzz single and been released in anticipation of Valentine's day back in February.Ā 

Alice should have been the lead single shortly after.

To me, the song is the perfect preview in showcasingĀ the new album to audiences and listeners. She sings about her constant need to find her "Wonderland". Throughout the track, she never manages to find that place, but she insists she will keep looking,Ā so in the meantime, she visualizes a world/planet named Chromatica to be her own "Wonderland".

I honestly believe the second verse it entirely self-referential to the album itself (giving listeners a preview of the album in whole)

"Sick and tired of waking up / Screaming at the top of my lungs" --Ā PossiblyĀ her talking about her mental and physical painĀ while creating the album?

"Think I might have just left myself behind"Ā Ā -- Before developing Chromatica, Gaga revealed that she was in a very dark place and didn't want to be herself.Ā 

"Maestro play me your symphony, I will listen to anything. Take me on a trip, DJ, free my mind"Ā -- Here she is referring to how music and recording this album has healed her through the pain and trauma she was suffering from at the time. The words "maestro" and "DJ" highlight the dichotomous traits of the album when it comes to its sound (orchestral pieces to electro-pop to industrial synths)

To me, it's obvious that Alice is basically theĀ prologue of Chromatica. If it were executed properly and stayed dedicated to Gaga's original vision, this era would be an artistic masterpiece. Unfortunately, it seems as though creativity has taken the back seat while marketing is at the wheel.Ā 

I don't think this is Gaga's fault (possibly the record label?) and I feel really bad for her.Ā 

The rest of the era still has a chance to be a masterpiece. Rain On Me was a success and 911 is highly anticipated.Ā 

Ā 

It isn't even used entirelyĀ :awkney:

ķˆ­ ź¹Œė³“ė©“ ģ–“ź¹€ģ—†ģ“ ģ†Œė¦¬ģ§ˆėŸ¬ģ™€

I think it was just used to introduce us to both, the land of Chromatica as a concept and the era itself.

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

ShayCristoforo

I was totally expecting a longer prologue based on the promo clips lol. The transition is kinda short lived and abrupt, so I get you. I still love the video though.Ā 

Get the pinot ready, because it's turtle time.

My Name Isnt Alice

Will she have copyright problems with alice if she made a video revolving around its theme?

David Ward
1 minute ago, Enzo said:

It isn't even used entirelyĀ :awkney:

That further proves my point that it felt rushed and a little botched.Ā 

Chromatica Island

It fits the video and the song, is this fanbase ever happy or am I the only one who is, I feel lonely over here lmao

Any/All Pronouns, GenderfluidšŸ³ā€āš§

David Ward
2 minutes ago, Monsterabriel said:

It fits the video and the song, is this fanbase ever happy or am I the only one who is, I feel lonely over here lmao

Huh? I love Chromatica I and Stupid Love with all my heart. Just because I'm complaining about a small detail doesn't mean I'm being cynical. I'm only attemptingĀ to generate a discussion and analyze some creative aspects of Gaga's work. That's what people do on forums. People are allowed to have opinions.

warhol killer

I think I agree with the op this time. The use of the interlude on the video seemed rush, it would have been cooler if they just added some synths fromĀ Stupid LoveĀ in the beginning of the video. ANDĀ AliceĀ transitions way better, unlike the sudden fade in and abrupt cut to the song which did not do it for me.

Nevertheless, I still love the campiness and the bright and vivid colors of the video, and I think it did introduce us to the world of Chromatica very well. (I'm pretty sure all of the story of the tribes, will continue in the tour, like with what she did with the music video storylines for Born This WayĀ andĀ The Born This Way Ball Tour, and maybe that's why we haven't seen much of the story yet).

warhol killer āœ“ GAGAĀ¹āµ

David Ward
8 minutes ago, Warhol Killer said:

Nevertheless, I still love the campiness and the bright and vivid colors of the video, and I think it did introduce us to the world of Chromatica very well. (I'm pretty sure all of the story of the tribes, will continue in the tour, like with what she did with the music video storylines for Born This WayĀ andĀ The Born This Way Ball Tour, and maybe that's why we haven't seen much of the story yet).

To me,Ā Chromatica IĀ sounds like a symphony you hear when you open and enterĀ the pearly gates of Heaven. So I imagined the interlude to be paired with a little bit more 'epic' visuals if you know what I mean.

I was picturing a beautiful purple and pink planet in outer space that we emerge into and land on to reveal the planet of Chromatica. But that's just my crazy imagination.Ā :lmao:

Franch Toast

I don't know if I think Alice should have been the lead single, but the OCD part ofĀ me finds it odd that Chromatica I transitions into Stupid Love in the video but into Alice on the album. It's inconsistent, and the first time I listened to the album, I found the transition jarring as I was expecting Stupid Love to come after the prelude.Ā 

She/Her/Hers

34 minutes ago, David Ward said:

You know what? I'm going to say it.

What-I-Dont-Care-You-Broke-Your-Elbow-Me

I really dislike the fact that Chromatica I was used as the intro for the Stupid Love music video.

Chromatica I symbolizesĀ the beginning of our journey to Chromatica, so it's easy to understand why it was chosen to be attached to theĀ lead single's video. However, I find it so awkwardly placed into the video; It felt rushed in a sense and the action on screen did not match the tone of the track at all. And then we have thatĀ immediate and abrupt cut toĀ Stupid Love. The interludes are meant as transition pieces to the following tracks, so using it incorrectly not only defeats the purpose entirely but it is not executed very well at all.Ā 

Chromatica IĀ is designed to transition into Alice.Ā IfĀ 911Ā is able to retain it's interlude track, then from that, can we extrapolate thatĀ AliceĀ will most likely not beĀ single? I find it hard to believe she would make a music video/film for AliceĀ without using it's interlude.

Ā  Reveal hidden contents

My honest opinion:

Stupid Love should have been a buzz single and been released in anticipation of Valentine's day back in February.Ā 

Alice should have been the lead single shortly after.

To me, the song is the perfect preview in showcasingĀ the new album to audiences and listeners. She sings about her constant need to find her "Wonderland". Throughout the track, she never manages to find that place, but she insists she will keep looking,Ā so in the meantime, she visualizes a world/planet named Chromatica to be her own "Wonderland".

I honestly believe the second verse it entirely self-referential to the album itself (giving listeners a preview of the album in whole)

"Sick and tired of waking up / Screaming at the top of my lungs" --Ā PossiblyĀ her talking about her mental and physical painĀ while creating the album?

"Think I might have just left myself behind"Ā Ā -- Before developing Chromatica, Gaga revealed that she was in a very dark place and didn't want to be herself.Ā 

"Maestro play me your symphony, I will listen to anything. Take me on a trip, DJ, free my mind"Ā -- Here she is referring to how music and recording this album has healed her through the pain and trauma she was suffering from at the time. The words "maestro" and "DJ" highlight the dichotomous traits of the album when it comes to its sound (orchestral pieces to electro-pop to industrial synths)

To me, it's obvious that Alice is basically theĀ prologue of Chromatica. If it were executed properly and stayed dedicated to Gaga's original vision, this era would be an artistic masterpiece. Unfortunately, it seems as though creativity has taken the back seat while marketing is at the wheel.Ā 

I don't think this is Gaga's fault (possibly the record label?) and I feel really bad for her.Ā 

The rest of the era still has a chance to be a masterpiece. Rain On Me was a success and 911 is highly anticipated.Ā 

Ā 

How bout you be an artist then and make your own decisions?Ā 

Archived