Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
series

See Cuties Movie For Yourself And Send Apology To Its Director

RAMROD

Featured Posts

It feels a little bit futile to write another article in defense of Netflix’s Cuties. The chances of changing the minds of its many detractors—who accused Netflix of promoting pedophilia, who gave the trailer 1.6 million dislikes on YouTube, who sent drove director Maïmouna Doucouré off of social media with death threats, who signed a petition demanding Netflix cancel the film, and who are still sending me emails telling me I’m a pedophile—seem slim to none.

That’s partially due to the fact that a not-insignificant portion of the backlash against Cuties stems from right-wing QAnon conspiracy theorists, aka people who believe that Democrats and Hollywood celebrities are behind a child sex trafficking ring. It seems unlikely that people who rely on unverified “secret moles” on 4chan for information will listen to reason. And it’s partially due to the fact that the damage has been done. Once you put a narrative like the Cuties controversy out into the world—especially one that’s accompanied by the shock-value image of preteen girls striking provocative poses in provocative outfits—it’s all but impossible to close Pandora’s box.

But even if it’s pointless, I’m still coming to Cuties’ defense. Someone needs to, both because the film is—ironically—a thoughtful criticism of the way society pressures girls to be sexy at far too young an age, and because it’s scary that YouTube-addicted conspiracy theorists, even if they think they’re “saving the children,” have the power to shape the narrative of a Sundance award-winning film. Cuties was shaping up to be a stellar feature film debut for Doucouré. 

The truth of the matter is, as uncomfortable as that Netflix poster was, Cuties is a purposefully uncomfortable watch. That’s the point. It’s a truth that girls who are too young to even understand what sex is are sexualizing themselves because they perceive sexuality as a way for women to achieve power and attention. How can you blame them, when TikTok and Instagram and YouTube followers prove them right every day?

French filmmakers have a reputation for going further than Americans would dare to dream of going, and Doucouré is no exception. She pushes the boundaries to address a tricky subject that is rarely spoken of in coming-of-age films for girls. One reason for that is, of course, the real-life young actors, whose own boundaries and comfort levels need to be taken into serious consideration when making a film like Cuties.

Full Article:

https://decider.com/2020/09/09/cuties-netflix-watch-maimouna-doucoure-controversy/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Progressive actress, Tessa Thompson, sends in a support for the movie as well.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

LadariousGarage

I completely understand the MEANING of the film, however, there still was 11 year old girls in VERY sexual outfits doing very sexual things, to be honest I doubt the actresses in the films even UNDERSTOOD what they were doing. I completely agree with the intention of the film, but why tf have young girls wear sexual outfits and do sexual dances in protest of sexualization of children? The director should have kept out those parts, and instead gave people who were sexualized as kids a platform to speak about it instead of doing what she did. 

Lets do it baby I know the Law

Franch Toast
6 minutes ago, LadariousGarage said:

I completely understand the MEANING of the film, however, there still was 11 year old girls in VERY sexual outfits doing very sexual things, to be honest I doubt the actresses in the films even UNDERSTOOD what they were doing. I completely agree with the intention of the film, but why tf have young girls wear sexual outfits and do sexual dances in protest of sexualization of children? The director should have kept out those parts, and instead gave people who were sexualized as kids a platform to speak about it instead of doing what she did. 

Ladarious, where have you been? I've missed you! 

She/Her/Hers

LadariousGarage
Just now, Franch Toast said:

Ladarious, where have you been? I've missed you! 

Idk I just haven't been as active lately, I think i'm gonna try to be more active soon lol

Lets do it baby I know the Law

Evan Peters
8 minutes ago, LadariousGarage said:

i think the point of keeping it all in the film was to make people uncomfortable. to force them into seeing just what the girls are doing from a young age. however, i will agree that the intention is shadowed by the assumption that the movie is pedophile bait. i mean, looking at it just as is, it looks like something designed to give creeps a platform to look at young girls without guilt. def not something i would watch. i honestly don't know how people sat through the whole thing. i saw a 1 minute clip and had to stop because it's just...gross

emma roberts is an abuser

Honestly.. what's the different between the film and kids/teens beauty pageants

I mean:

Spoiler

article-0-14A0B832000005DC-729_308x185.j

3F60C5E300000578-0-image-a-14_1492596381

7542a9a9fe5cfd13c5cb121daac21ac2.jpg

Girls this ages are sexualized everywhere, especially in the fashion industry and let's not talk about Instagram and how sometimes it's the parents that sexualizing their daughters for views.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

DiskoBaby

I feel like if Cuties was directed by a man then there would be less praise for the movie tbh even with the same intentions. 

Lorde Von Kok

Bad press is good press -> This movie is very talked about right now, for better or for worse.

What is done in the dark shall one day come to light.

RichAssPiss

I understand she intends it as a critique but neither that nor that she's French nor any other reasons given in these defenses justifies photographing 11 year old girls humping the floor and fingering their mouths to me. Movies about child abuse have been made before. With body doubles, with extreme close-ups that obscure actions. The camera in Cuties literally tilts down to highlight their thrusting hips. Saying "It's supposed to make you uncomfortable" doesn't mean it was OK to film with minors not of an age to consent.

Chromatican

Films and their marketing don’t exist in a vacuum. Just because you don’t find the film offensive doesn’t mean it doesn’t contribute to the specialization of underage girls. And to the people in this thread comparing it to other inappropriate sexualization like beauty pageants why do you want to add more of that into the world?

36 minutes ago, Chromatican said:

Films and their marketing don’t exist in a vacuum. Just because you don’t find the film offensive doesn’t mean it doesn’t contribute to the specialization of underage girls. And to the people in this thread comparing it to other inappropriate sexualization like beauty pageants why do you want to add more of that into the world?

Nobody wants to add to this world, it just to show how hypocrite is the society.

This yes, this no when both do the same sh-t.

And let's no talk about how in the the music industry they let some 14-15 years old girls to sing about sex.

At least the movie has some statement to make and it's serious, while the rest not.

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

RichAssPiss
13 minutes ago, River said:

Nobody wants to add to this world, it just to show how hypocrite is the society.

This yes, this no when both do the same sh-t.

And let's no talk about how in the the music industry they let some 14-15 years old girls to sing about sex.

At least the movie has some statement to make and it's serious, while the rest not.

At least this movie is using child abuse...for a good cause?? That makes it better than other child abuse????

That's what you sound like.

I watched the film and posted about it in a different thread. It definitely rides the line at points and I think a few elements were a bit overdone, but the sheer volume of outrage is strange and, if I'm being honest, a little hypocritical. Did people accuse Honey Boy of promoting child r*pe? Did Good Boys get this much backlash playing kids acting inappropriately for laughs? Is it fair to say the grown men I see complaining they had to turn it off after 10 minutes or couldn't finish watching the trailer because they viewed a child dancing as something sexual are part of the problem? I mention these people specifically because the beginning and the trailer were really just them dancing in outfits that look like typical dance costumes. 

Hope I'm making sense, but I guess I am more willing to give it the benefit of the doubt because the story personally resonated with me as a child from a very religious family who competed in dance competitions with older girls who danced and dressed very much like what was depicted in the beginning of the film. Frankly, I think a lot of people just don't understand that world. 

All of this said, one thing that could change my opinion greatly would be knowledge of how they treated the child actors on set and what protections were set in place for them.

But anyway, it's not without criticism, but the movie is definitely worthy of a more nuanced discussion than it is getting.

Edited just now by anonanon

Chromatica Island

No, the woman could have written a book about it, not a movie exploiting little kids.

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Archived