Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
charts

Katy's album expected to drop out of the top 50 in its second week

hankhatesyouall

Featured Posts

Million Gypsies

I genuinely feel so bad for her :ohno:.  I love Katy, her past work has helped me go through so much in life, and she seems so much more liberated and her true self during this era.  Her interviews have all been so raw and she seems so nice, to see her album perform like this makes me wanna cry :toofunny:.  I didn't think the album is bad too, I think it's a pretty solid pop album!  I mean Never Really Over was THAT song, and it could've been pushed more by her label, and I think Champagne Problems, Tucked and Teary Eyes are solid songs :heart:.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Genuine Guy 09
2 minutes ago, Defmix100 said:

This is the only thing I don't see as an issue, Brown Eyes sounds completely different to Poker Face, Dope sounds completely different to Applause, Aura sounds completely different to Fashion!, Stupid Love sounds completely different to Sine From Above. Why would people want every song to sound the same? There's albums I can't listen to like that because I can barely differentiate the tracks in my head since they sound too similar.

It's not something that works for Katy I don't feel, especially not on Smile

Aside from the commercial response it doesn't deserve its 58 on metacritic, but it is something that I didn't gel with on Smile. In Katy's case it feels like you can't get out your head the songs sound different but it's because she's trying different things to see what'll click,  rather than from a sincere place. Or she was trying to please her fans and not fully abandon the kind of music they'd like, vs doing something very stripped back. I think that she appreciates the fans that stuck with her and really wanted this album for them but it's not helping her artistic growth. 

Stare at the Chartster in the mirror they talk to me too. #StreamFunTonight

derpmonster
17 hours ago, imitalian said:

It's sad to see her fanbase almost completely abandoned her after Witness

The thing is we don't know how much of that fanbase was around even for Witness. Her album did numbers from tour bundles in week 1 and we don't know how much it would be without them. After that it was streaming and that wasn't fans. I think it was GP and bots. She was playlisted much more because they were expecting her to be a hit.

That didn't really stick and now without tour bundles, without playlisting, and with a generally off-putting image for the GP (the clown thing), it's even worse. 

Her decline was already happening, we just didn't see it so clearly before. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

derpmonster
15 hours ago, Lampost said:

I just don't understand what happened to the general public's attitude towards Katy.

They used to love her, now I feel like she doesn't even get a mention when people talk about music.

Well her target audience truly was teenagers. They grew up and most were no longer into her music. She didn't make what teenagers now listen to. And she was overexposed. Never took a real break. She was always on TV or releasing a song. And she had her shenanigans and quirky/weird personality that got boring and tiring. 

FFXIV WhiteMage
14 hours ago, M Monstre said:

Y'all say that, but y'all just hate it because it's Katy. That's literally it. I guarantee you that people wouldn't hate the album as much if Gaga released the same thing. It just wouldn't happen.

We stanned Gaga because of her impeccable musicality. That’s why even though all her albums are top tier quality, we are still very critical to it. 

If Gaga is giving Katy Perry type of music then there would be no GGD nor LM big fanbase. I would also be just a casual fan of hers.

1 hour ago, frederiickx said:

That was sad. I felt bad for her. She literally looked sad and was trying not to act sad. Did that "fan" just go on to try and be a jerk? I don't know what fan would do that tbh. I'd lie to my fave even if I didn't love the song.

For me I would give props to the fan, that what makes a real fan, not some fake ass hoe that likes to please the artist with their fake words. Idk, but I wouldn't lie if I like it or not, I would tell them the truth and give constructive criticism, but that's just me :ladyhaha:

derpmonster
16 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

We stanned Gaga because of her impeccable musicality. That’s why even though all her albums are top tier quality, we are still very critical to it. 

If Gaga is giving Katy Perry type of music then there would be no GGD nor LM big fanbase. I would also be just a casual fan of hers.

This. I'm really trying to think of the most dull and uninspired songs Gaga has in her discography and even if I put 8 or 9 of them together in a playlist, I feel like that collection would be barely worse than Smile.

Smile has good songs. A few of them. Many are better than some Gaga songs out there (hi Christmas Tree and 2008 version of Fashion). The album though is just... uninspired and forced at points. 

Gaga just hasn't released an album so uninspired or basic, so that comparison can't be made. And I don't think Gaga would ever do that either unless it was intentional or to get out of a contract.

FFXIV WhiteMage
10 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

Joanne says yee haw

You mean the Grammy nominated album “Joanne” :ally:

FFXIV WhiteMage

OT;

I do feel bad for Katy. TD and Prism are pop bibles :pray:

I hope she’ll find new inspiration now that she have a baby. 

Reginald
48 minutes ago, JLoveLamar said:

:lolly: God I love this song. Lady Perry has videos on top of videos this era. Such a serve! 

Pennywise

After Teenage Dream and Prism, she needed to completely rebrand herself because those two were so successful that if she did anything similar, it'd be compared to what she did before and it would look lackluster, and that is exactly what happened. She did not rebrand herself, except for the pixie cut, and now she just seems boring. It is not that Smile is a horrible album, it is just that it all became very predictable and simply boring. It's not like that with Gaga, for example, even when she supposedly "flops". You can always expect something different from her. Smile, however, sounds exactly like what people think Katy will sound like, and that is not a good thing for an artist. 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Archived