💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

Was mean girls an instant classic?

Reject False Icons

Featured Posts

Reject False Icons

Did it became an instant cult classic from the beginning in 2004? Or did it take it’s time? And when could you possibly say it was a general opinion that it’s was a classic 

I watched for the first time in like 2009 and i was instantly hooked and wanted to watch it again, something stood out from the rest of the 00s chick flicks. But I don’t know how it was viewed in the past?

Bonkers

I was there when it came out.  Tina Fey was fairly well known, but not like she is today.  She wasn't a box office draw or anything.  Most people found out after that she wrote it.

But it was one of those movies like Office Space that certain people LOVED from the very start. There was nothing quite like it, it was both retro and edgy because Tina took a very standard movie formula and did what she did.  It almost felt like a parody of a 100 different movies & TV shows from the 80s & 90s.

Yes,  I think it was an instant classic.

Remember to like and subscribe, and click on the bell icon to get the latest updates

Chromatican

I saw it for the first time in probably 2006 and tbh it felt like an instant classic in terms of quotability and memorability.

DirrtyPony

Yeah I seem to remember people saying a lot of the jokes and quotes soon after the movie came out.

Strung out for another taste

Regina George

Most definitely! Many people loved it from the start and eventually it became so well known for such a short period of time that it got the classic status. It’s definitely not the best movie ever made but there is something so fresh and fun about it that other movies alike couldn’t achieve.

Let's ask @Regina George :vegas:

Edit: Oop, she's already replied :vegas:

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

HeavyMetalLover

Absolutely. I remember seeing it in theaters and it was a euphoric experience. So f*cking funny.

i don't remember ARTPOP

The level of its classic status and cultural impact, you ask?

giphy.gif

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

Justin Drew Bieber

Yes, there’s countless iconic/memorable quotes in the movie too... off the top of my head:

fetch, it’s October 3rd, on Wednesday’s we wear pink, why are you so obsessed with me, I want my pink shirt back, you go glen coco, boo you *****, is butter a carb, if you’re from Africa why are you white

lavenderblondee

I saw it in the theaters 4 times when it came out. :ladyhaha: My friends and I were OBSESSED and it was easily THE movie. Everyone was talking about it, and even though I was a kid, I knew it was even more so successful with the ACTUAL target audience of teenagers/YA (I was 11 when it came out) I even remember the news stations on the morning TV talking about how successful it was/how it was dominating the box office. 

So, yes, it was an instant classic AND rightfully so. :ohwell:

Also, Lindsay Lohan was still the IT girl (I was a HUGE Lilo fan) and I think that's why it gained so much status with the younger kids, like me. 

GovernmentHookah

Mean Girls was a huge hit in Spring of 2004 and by Summer, Lindsay was everywhere.  I was 13 and a half when this movie came out and the movies everyone talked about that year was Passion of the Christ, Anchorman, Napoleon Dynamite and Mean Girls.  

Archived