Critics are DRAGGING Katy Perry's new album

petty

Featured Posts

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MJHolland
4 hours ago, Bradley said:

Why is it not? Don't get me wrong, Katy is probably my third favourite artist and I would consider myself a big fan but if you keep doing the same thing over and over again, it will just show yourself to be pale in comparison to other artists who go through the uncomfortable and artistically challenging journey of re-inventing themselves.

I don’t think anyone is a fan of Katy’s music for the diverse sound and envelope-pushing albums. 

You get what you get with Katy and that’s never changed. 

You don’t judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. 

Off topic— I feel foolish defending her now after her mean lyrics about pop girls got leaked :bear:

Nosferatu

No surprise. The fact that she included the songs she released over a year ago from back when she was going around saying "I'm not releasing an album bc people consume music in a different way nowdays" shows how well thought out this album must have been :bear:

Curunir
10 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

In 2011 they called Kathryn the “Michael Jackson of our generation” :lolga:

In 2020 they celebrate ha downfall. F*ck the press. They build you up to see you fall :fthis:

Let's be real, no one can take that seriously. They called her the MJ of our generation because she had 5 consecutive #1 songs from the same album, just like MJ did.

That being said, that success was purely based in the US and is not even comparable to the numbers and outreach that Michael had during the peak of his career. We're talking tens of millions sold per album, whereas Katy couldn't even sell out a stadium show :air:

I'm not hating on Katy, I love her, I listen to her music and I think the critics are unfairly harsh towards her, but let's be objective here. The only artists of today that are somewhat comparable to MJ in terms of commercial success are Adele and maybe Taylor Swift, the latter being only in the US :spin:

CantGetEnough

To be fair, I think critics have always been too critical. Particularly, One of the Boys deserved much better. I think it ranks as her best work and feels really authentic to her brand. I really thought rebooting her KP5 era with Daisies meant she was going back to the more acoustic-pop she started with. Sadly not...

While I haven't heard the album in full, I really identify with this article: Katy Perry Pivots to Boring

Witness was a mixed bag, but I respected she had a vision and was attempting to change her style in a post-Dr. Luke pop world. It would have been nice to see Katy really come up with a unique, true-to-herself vision for KP5. Smile just seems to rely on "finding happiness" which is a vague theme. She speaks of this era as coming out of songwriting sessions not meant for an album and it really shows. The released songs are all over the place. While it sounds there is the album cut banger she always gives us (ie. Walking on Air, Roulette)...it just seems Smile lacks direction and inspiration. It's sad to see her flop twice-in-a-row, cause as she gets older, it won't get easier. Perhaps if she were putting out brilliant albums with no hit singles she could weather it and become an album artist...but Smile certainly isn't it. 

flyaway

While I agree that her music hasn't evolved, and she as a musician hasn't taken real risks (Witness was a step forward imo), people shouldn't pay that much attention to the critics. Many tend to be biased and don't make a constructive critic based on the work they have in their hands. They tend to say what they expect from the artist, not what they think about the project itself. And I mean, they give rave reviews to Selena Gomez's albums, when we all know she's not a real musician. Katy is. 

Like Slant Magazine, which doesn't have any coherent arguments when they review a Gaga album.

Sepsami

Tbh critics were never kind to her, it all comes down to how the GP likes it and how it performs on Radio, I still have hope for Kety :vegas:

Spoiler

But it's safe to say if this doesn't perform, she's done for :selena:

Bradley
1 hour ago, MJHolland said:

I don’t think anyone is a fan of Katy’s music for the diverse sound and envelope-pushing albums. 

You get what you get with Katy and that’s never changed. 

You don’t judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree. 

Off topic— I feel foolish defending her now after her mean lyrics about pop girls got leaked :bear:

You're right, Katy fans support her and 'get what they get' because she's never offered anything different to them. And that includes me, I am a Katy fan. But do I wish she had explored different routes? Absolutely.

Do I think Katy Perry actually wants to be regarded as ambitious and artistically accomplished as Gaga and Swift? Yes I do think she would like that recognition.

I did enjoy Witness and probably will enjoy Smile too, but to say that things are perfect the way they are for Katy Perry is a bit of being dishonest to ourselves.

Dr Fudge

It will be interesting to see how the album sales fare this week. The hot 100 is out for the week and not a single KP track is anywhere to be found. Between that and considering a lot of tracks have already been released, there’s not much momentum to encourage sales. 

Been a cuff touple, a puff bupple, a tough couple of years.

I might be speaking too early because the album isn’t even out yet, but from the songs that are already out, it was kind of expected. 
Personally I feel that Katy has come to a point where she just got stuck, she keeps putting out songs that basically sound the same. There’s little to no growth musically or at least not something interesting to keep looking at. I think the Smile music video was cute and very the brand of KP, but that’s it, nothing much to be said about it. And the song could easily fit in Teenage Dream :/
This is just my opinion and I do not intend to sound mean. I really wish she could dive into a more mature sound, or straight into pop ballads, or something else.

I wish she could try a different path on an album just for once, and maybe things could go different.
But as long as she stays the same, she will not succeed neither artistically nor commercially. 

Damon

I mean I get their point. I love Katy and I'm sure she's gonna serve some bops but so far this album feels like recycled old material, she hasn't evolved quite much and it's starting to get kinda boring

... and now i just sit in silence.

Lucas

She's had the same sound for 4 albums now, she needs to change it... Harleys in Hawaii was a step in the right direction but then of course she went back to her safe comfortable zone in which she's not even doing good anymore

That last one is just cruel :awkney: Was it necessary to insult a pregnant woman like that? Critics are so unnecessarily dramatic I can't :saladga:

If you see me posting like crazy, I'm either bored or procrastinating.

Archived