🔴 Limited-edition Red Vinyl 🔴

🙏 Hey guys! Please take a second to like and leave a comment on this video, we'd really appreciate it! 🙏
Sign in to follow this  
tech

Apple pulls Fortnite from App Store

Doot
3 minutes ago, justhislife said:

You think Epic is in the wrong because it isn't allowed to have its own payment processing?

I think Epic is in the wrong for signing up to be on Apples App Store, fully knowing the rules, and then bypassing them because they didn't agree with them. I'm not saying Apples rules aren't BS, but imo Epic is still in the wrong for breaking the rules.

If they didn't like Apples rules, they shouldn't have agreed to put their app on Apples app store.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

justhislife
Just now, gabeoz said:

Yes. Keep in mind I dont like Epic at all (severely overworked employees underpaid for the hours they put in, shoddy practices to pull business from competitors, etc). But it is Apple's platform and they have to right to enforce their policies.

What if we had to use Google Pay to pay through Chrome though? Would you be okay with that? Or Microsoft making Windows users use some sort of payment processor? It's not right because it seeks to skim from its developers. Both sides need each other but Apple is exploiting its app developers and users. And it favors big companies. It's not fair and even across the board as mentioned in my earlier post. Also this tax increases the prices of other services, and allows Apple to undercut competitors in price. 

• Like 5

justhislife
1 minute ago, Doot said:

I think Epic is in the wrong for signing up to be on Apples App Store, fully knowing the rules, and then bypassing them because they didn't agree with them. I'm not saying Apples rules aren't BS, but imo Epic is still in the wrong for breaking the rules.

If they didn't like Apples rules, they shouldn't have agreed to put their app on Apples app store.

I get what you're saying. But I think they're making a point. They probably tried to negotiate with Apple and things fell through so they're sour. But it brings attention to Apple's antitrust issues. 

• Like 1

Doot
Just now, justhislife said:

I get what you're saying. But I think they're making a point. They probably tried to negotiate with Apple and things fell through so they're sour. But it brings attention to Apple's antitrust issues. 

TBH I am not familiar with the antitrust thing, so I can't really comment on that.

justhislife
1 minute ago, Doot said:

TBH I am not familiar with the antitrust thing, so I can't really comment on that.

Essentially Apple cuts special rates in exchange for companies cooperating with them. Prime integrates with Apple TV now and in exchange Prime gets a 15% fee rather than a 30% fee like other companies. There's also emails from Steve Jobs telling employees to cut relations with companies for speaking out on the 30% tax and also him saying that they can either go along with their skimming or get off the app store. 

• Like 1

Knife
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Fortnite has 350 million players around the world. If you don't think this will hurt Apples income you are wrong. 

When did I say it wouldn't hurt them? Not only will it hurt their revenue, but their image, as well. 

Apple is resistant to change and would probably rather take the hit than re-examine their practices across the board which would probably be an even bigger loss for them.

Edited by Knife
  • Like 1

POPARTHD

It has just been banned from the Google Play Store too :bear:

POPARTHD
8 minutes ago, Doot said:

Enough said, if you don’t like how it works don’t get into it.

• LMAO 1

Doot
2 minutes ago, justhislife said:

Essentially Apple cuts special rates in exchange for companies cooperating with them. Prime integrates with Apple TV now and in exchange Prime gets a 15% fee rather than a 30% fee like other companies. There's also emails from Steve Jobs telling employees to cut relations with companies for speaking out on the 30% tax and also him saying that they can either go along with their skimming or get off the app store. 

Is there a specific reason one company would get the lower rate versus others, if they are all integrated?

justhislife
2 minutes ago, Doot said:

Is there a specific reason one company would get the lower rate versus others, if they are all integrated?

They aren't all integrated into Apple TV though and that's the thing. 

Curunir
Posted (edited)

Apple are scum :vegas:

I mean in general, not just in this case. Simply put, a very very shitty company that's probably more money hungry than Facebook and Google combined. 

But don't let me rain on your parade y'all, go off with your iPhones that have been the same for the past 5 years basically :billie:

The only products that merit their price tag are their computers... and you can still get more bang for your buck elsewhere :vegas:

Edited by Curunir
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JusKeepBreathin
30 minutes ago, POPARTHD said:

It has just been banned from the Google Play Store too :bear:

Yeah but the App for Android is still available. In other words there are other ways to get it. There isn't another way for Apple users to get it. That's why it's a monopoly. 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.
  • Like 1

gagaxsebert
1 hour ago, Florian said:

Spotify also called out Apple on that. They have to give 30% to Apple and compete against Apple Music who also has to give 30% to... itself. It's very problematic when it comes to fair competition.

So Apple takes 30% of Spotify premium subs on iPhones? That’s shady cause streaming isn’t that profitable and Spotify is competing with AM on an iPhone.

Does this apply for apps like shops where you place orders?

OT; I was on Apple’s side because Fortnite signed up for that but after reading this, nah 

Used to be HighRoad

CaliLilMonster
10 minutes ago, JusKeepBreathin said:

Yeah but the App for Android is still available. In other words there are other ways to get it. There isn't another way for Apple users to get it. That's why it's a monopoly. 

But that limitation for Apple devices isn't new, it's the same as it's been for the past decade. If you don't like that you don't have to buy their phone. Plenty of other manufactures of phones to choose from with their own app stores. The lack of choice is literally a selling point of iPhones for some people, as a trade off for increased privacy and security.