🚨 Watch the video for 911 🚨

💌 The September fan envelope is here! 💌
Sign in to follow this  
science

800M years ago it was raining asteroids on the moon according to scientists

FfFfFfFF

237668_web.jpg

The team presented their results in a paper titled “Asteroid shower on the Earth-Moon system immediately before the Cryogenian period revealed by KAGUYA.” 

On Earth, ancient crater impacts are erased. Volcanism, erosions, and other processes take care of that. But we do know that asteroids strike Earth, and that they can be deadly. The Chicxulub impact from about 66 million years ago illustrates that succintly.

crater-locations-580x311.png

Farside-moon-LRO-hi-res-580x580.jpg

The Chicxulub impactor was about 10 – 15 km (6 – 10 miles) in diameter. Studies show that we can expect an asteroid about the size of the Chicxulub impactor to strike Earth about once every 100 million years. But since that evidence is hard to come by, the team from Osaka University examined craters on the Moon, to understand what role asteroids have played in Earth’s history.

The team looked at craters over 20 km (12.5 miles) in diameter, and studied 59 of them. They examined smaller craters between 0.1-1 km (330 – 3300 ft) in diameter that were in the ejecta of the larger craters.

fig3-580x553.jpg

From there the team looked at data from the Apollo missions to the surface of the Moon. Radiometric dating of impact melt spherules from Apollo samples show that “sporadic meteoroid bombardment occurred across the whole Moon at approximately 800?Ma,” the authors write in their paper.

They say that these sporadic meteor showers may have delivered large amounts of phosphorous to Earth, affecting the terrestrial environment. 

237669_web.jpg

1-newanalysiso-580x464.jpg

S: https://www.universetoday.com/147142/800-million-years-ago-it-was-raining-asteroids-on-the-earth-and-moon/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 3

Seryabkina

...and the moon said : "rain. on. me."

• LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 3
  • Sad 2

weed

I always wonder when the next asteroid will hit Earth lol it's been a lil while! we'd be so fked

• Like 3

Red

Chromatica be like "wake me up when it rains daggers in there :coffee:

says Campbell, chuckling.

Lord Temptation

I love the moon :kara:

Bloody hooker

800M years ago it was raining...

Me: Gaga just won’t let up on the ROM promo! Serving it ancient asteroid style :giveup:

On topic:

The moon is so mysterious. Even our solar system is mysterious :duck:

This mutual gaze was a “longing to touch” or a "pre-coitus" stare.

Where is LG7
Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, QueenOfSaigon said:

Ariana Grande Rain On Me GIF by Lady Gaga

the dinosaurs and aliens (if there were any) were all just dancing there like 'we were all so happy that day...'

Edited by Where is LG7
  • LMAO 3

Blastertoyo
Posted (edited)

Rain 

On 

Moon 

Ariana Grande Rain On Me GIF by Lady Gaga

Edited by Blastertoyo

Doot
1 hour ago, weed said:

I always wonder when the next asteroid will hit Earth lol it's been a lil while! we'd be so fked

We still have 5 months left in 2020. 

Don't get comfortable. 

ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏɢᴇʏᴍᴀɴ?
  • Like 1