Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

‘Black Is King’ watched by 4% of Disney+ users

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

SevenWonder
1 hour ago, gypsy101 said:

homecoming aka beychella was an outright serve fyi

I thought it was okay. Nothing great. But that just me. Glad you loved it. Maybe I'm just more nostalgic for mid 00s Beyonce. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gagaisitalian

I'm a huge Beyoncé fan and I have no interest in watching it. It feels like they're dragging on The Lion King and I just don't understand why since that movie/album weren't well-received from the start. 

boyerased

It’s visually stunning and a great tribute to her roots. If there’s a problem, it’s that she needs to shake it up. 

1 hour ago, Borislshere said:

Not strawberry supremacist quoting me 💀 my ass not reading that. 

Literally what I said to myself when they quoted me earlier.  :bear: 

Cerny

People saying Beyoncé’s visuals are boring and more of the same since Lemonade, while simultaneously gagging for the Stupid Love and ROM music videos.

3b9c14a8-2a52-45b7-96x9kti.gif

Like that one time some people here were saying that Lady Gaga’s Coachella set had more musicality than Beyoncé’s, the one with a marching band and mixes. Some of you get really irrational when it comes to Beyoncé, it’s comical, getting intimidated by her pride and confidence, the visuals dripping with splendour and polish, and the things she’s able to produce with the help of other very talented people, and all.

The Find Your Way Back segment was unbelievable, and the South Asian and albino representation in the film was beautiful, also.

PoetsTryinWrite

I think the title tends to be a little more than off-putting to viewers with...um, what’s it called... oh yeah! Racist opinions. 

Defend Your Humanity.

Monsieur D

Is it good? 

I didn't know it was out :saladga:

Why there was no promo at all? 

Lemonade was great (BEYONCÉ too of course), but I want her to release a new studio album though, it's been way too long.

I don't understand the "she always does the same thing" argument. When Ariana shows up with the same ponytail and hoodie for the past 7 years y'all call it a serve. When Gaga talks about fame for 12 years straight y'all call it brave. But when Beyoncé choses to empower black people who are told they're never gonna be someone, she's bragging or doing the same thing she always does :flop:

That's why it feels like racism to me. it's ok to say something is not for you. I really don't like most of Bob Dylan's discography, it's not my type of music, I just don't vibe with it. But at the same time I can recognize that he's a brilliant songwriter and overall one of the best artists ever. Beyoncé is literally doing black activism through music and art. She's showing that black kid that feels cheated by the system that there is nothing wrong with them. That their skin is beautiful, their culture is rich and powerful. She's putting African artists from multiple countries in the mainstream, showing them to Disney audiences, do you have any idea how important that is? 

Just because something is not for you it doesn't mean it's bad.

StrawberryBlond
14 hours ago, MessyTop said:

I’m agreeing with you on this one. Believe it or not. 
her fans in Africa have been begging her to perform there and nothing. It’s been years. 
I just want good music form her, regardless of her project. And so far, her music was been non memorable.  

Yeah, if she loves Africa so much, why doesn't she tour there? Vacation there? Have a second home there? It's almost like she just goes to these far flung locations for amazing aesthetics and then flies straight back to where she's truly comfortable. Apparently Disney+ isn't even available in Africa. Her work always seems more aimed at the American market than anything else. They're the ones who are the providing the bulk of her sales now. Her support used to be a lot more global before she started going off in the direction she is now. I feel she's been focusing more on making political and social statements now as opposed to what message her actual music is sending. I think she should make these statements independent of her music. Merging the two is far too polarising.

14 hours ago, Borislshere said:

Not strawberry supremacist quoting me 💀 my ass not reading that. 

Don't call me such a thing again. If you'd actually read what I said, you'd realise it has nothing to do with white supremacy and I'm actually referring to complaints that black people have made in relation to her recent exotification of Africa. You're only making yourself look bad by showing that you've made an assumption instead.

12 hours ago, SLAG said:

Literally what I said to myself when they quoted me earlier.  :bear: 

Read my reply above.

11 hours ago, Cerny said:

People saying Beyoncé’s visuals are boring and more of the same since Lemonade, while simultaneously gagging for the Stupid Love and ROM music videos.

You can't make that assumption for all of us. Stupid Love's song and video had a very polarising reception and how it came and went shows you that most fans weren't here for it. ROM, while the song grew on me, the music video is just ok, we have seen similar visuals before. Thing is, fans tend to overexaggerate how good their fave is and are blind to their flaws. Gaga fans do it, we realise that in ourselves, why can't we accuse Beyonce fans of it?

11 hours ago, PoetsTryinWrite said:

I think the title tends to be a little more than off-putting to viewers with...um, what’s it called... oh yeah! Racist opinions. 

We've already been over this in previous pages. She knew what she was doing with the controversial, attention-grabbing title at such a political time. I'm sure most of us would have something to say if any other race replaced the word "black." Any kind of racial supremacist thinking should have no place in modern culture. Beyonce says in the actual trailer: "You were born from the heat of the galaxy. What a thing to be both unique and familiar. To be one and the same and still unlike any other." Combined with the title Black is King, it's difficult not to see this as trying to put black people above others, even if that's not what's intended. Black people can be raised up without being told to view themselves as literal royalty. True confidence doesn't come from perceived supremacy over others.

10 minutes ago, Brecht said:

I don't understand the "she always does the same thing" argument. When Ariana shows up for with the same ponytail and hoodie for the past 7 years y'all call it a serve. When Gaga talks about fame for 12 years straight y'all call it brave. But when Beyoncé choses to empower black people who are told they're never gonna be someone she's bragging or doing the same thing she always does :flop:

That's why it feels like racism to me. it's ok to say something is not for you. I really don't like most of Bob Dylan's discography, it's not my type of music, I just don't vibe with it. But at the same time I can recognize that he's a brilliant songwriter and overall one of the best artists ever. Beyoncé is literally doing black activism through music and art. She's showing that black kid that feels cheated by the system that there is nothing wrong with them. That their skin is beautiful, their culture is rich and powerful. She's putting African artists from multiple countries in the mainstream, showing them to Disney audiences, do you have any idea how important that is? 

Just because something is not for you it doesn't mean it's bad.

Ariana has been criticised for having that same style for years and Focus was accused of ripping off Problem so bad that she was forced to go back into the studio and re-do her entire third album. I don't think we call Gaga's talking about fame brave, rather her political statements. All artists redo certain ideas over and over, some more than others. And again, fans will always be biased somewhat for their fave. Outsiders try to give them a reality check. You shouldn't speak for all of us regarding what we support and don't support.

Sometimes, intuition is wrong. It's never racism to simply dislike a body of work. Most of said some variation of why this project was just not for us. Most of us also praise Beyonce as a singer and performer but think her artistic abilities and adoration are overrated. I have gone into detail about the issues with her presenting Africa like it's one big country with one culture instead of the vast continent of 54 countries with many intricate differences between each one. She never seeks to educate us about these cultures, she just shows visuals with no cultural context. She doesn't provide substance to her visuals. All I get when I look at this stuff is: "This is Africa. Look at it." But there is no context or education provided. And visuals alone do not create empowerment.

And none of us said it was bad. Just because you critique something doesn't mean you think it should be censored or shouldn't exist. Criticism is how we grow.

MANiCURE 6
23 hours ago, Eido said:

I mean it is not bad. But it's like making art around yourself. She did it... Twice already and now this is too much especially knowing Disney procuded it. 

What I would have liked though is a documentary :)

This.

A documentary about African culture could have been so interesting... But this... This is just self promotion for Beyoncé.

1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Yeah, if she loves Africa so much, why doesn't she tour there? Vacation there? Have a second home there? It's almost like she just goes to these far flung locations for amazing aesthetics and then flies straight back to where she's truly comfortable. Apparently Disney+ isn't even available in Africa. Her work always seems more aimed at the American market than anything else. They're the ones who are the providing the bulk of her sales now. Her support used to be a lot more global before she started going off in the direction she is now. I feel she's been focusing more on making political and social statements now as opposed to what message her actual music is sending. I think she should make these statements independent of her music. Merging the two is far too polarising.

Don't call me such a thing again. If you'd actually read what I said, you'd realise it has nothing to do with white supremacy and I'm actually referring to complaints that black people have made in relation to her recent exotification of Africa. You're only making yourself look bad by showing that you've made an assumption instead.

Read my reply above.

You can't make that assumption for all of us. Stupid Love's song and video had a very polarising reception and how it came and went shows you that most fans weren't here for it. ROM, while the song grew on me, the music video is just ok, we have seen similar visuals before. Thing is, fans tend to overexaggerate how good their fave is and are blind to their flaws. Gaga fans do it, we realise that in ourselves, why can't we accuse Beyonce fans of it?

We've already been over this in previous pages. She knew what she was doing with the controversial, attention-grabbing title at such a political time. I'm sure most of us would have something to say if any other race replaced the word "black." Any kind of racial supremacist thinking should have no place in modern culture. Beyonce says in the actual trailer: "You were born from the heat of the galaxy. What a thing to be both unique and familiar. To be one and the same and still unlike any other." Combined with the title Black is King, it's difficult not to see this as trying to put black people above others, even if that's not what's intended. Black people can be raised up without being told to view themselves as literal royalty. True confidence doesn't come from perceived supremacy over others.

Ariana has been criticised for having that same style for years and Focus was accused of ripping off Problem so bad that she was forced to go back into the studio and re-do her entire third album. I don't think we call Gaga's talking about fame brave, rather her political statements. All artists redo certain ideas over and over, some more than others. And again, fans will always be biased somewhat for their fave. Outsiders try to give them a reality check. You shouldn't speak for all of us regarding what we support and don't support.

Sometimes, intuition is wrong. It's never racism to simply dislike a body of work. Most of said some variation of why this project was just not for us. Most of us also praise Beyonce as a singer and performer but think her artistic abilities and adoration are overrated. I have gone into detail about the issues with her presenting Africa like it's one big country with one culture instead of the vast continent of 54 countries with many intricate differences between each one. She never seeks to educate us about these cultures, she just shows visuals with no cultural context. She doesn't provide substance to her visuals. All I get when I look at this stuff is: "This is Africa. Look at it." But there is no context or education provided. And visuals alone do not create empowerment.

And none of us said it was bad. Just because you critique something doesn't mean you think it should be censored or shouldn't exist. Criticism is how we grow.

Unless you're a black person or from an African country I don't think it's your place to say Beyoncé doesn't love Africa enough. It seems like you're taking some valid criticism from a minority of people and using it as an excuse to minimize Beyoncé's work or question her intentions. There is no Disney+ in Africa, but it was also made available in multiple African networks, including M-Net, OSN and Canal+Afrique, not to mention Middle-Eastern networks so yeah, your argument there is invalid.

Every time someone brings reverse racism to the picture it's just game over. It invalidates your entire comment. First you question how much she loves Africa and then you say she's hyping black people too much :awkney: It's hard not to laugh. White people rule this world for as long as it exists so yeah, you have no problem with being king but once someone says the people your privilege oppresses are king you get instantly threatened. 

Her job is not to educate us it is to inspire us, to make us think, to provoke. She's an artists, not a sociologist or a professor. She has artists, cast and crew from multiple African countries. It's not her job to name every culture within Africa, but to create her own vision of what her African roots mean to her.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:12 PM, Lord Temptation said:

No Thank You Reaction GIF

:reductive:

Is that Lucy? :billie:

1 hour ago, MANiCURE 6 said:

This.

A documentary about African culture could have been so interesting... But this... This is just self promotion for Beyoncé.

Why would a pop artist make a documentary about African culture? It's not her job. And there are already lots of those available for you to watch. Meanwhile, there is nothing like Black is King out there. And your comment about it being self promotion shows me you haven't watched it since she's not even the main character in the movie and it's a retelling of Lion King's story. Nothing to do with Beyoncé.

Archived