Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively apologize for wedding in a slave plantation

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

When it said they had a plantation wedding, I thought that meant they were waited on by black servants or something. But turns out they just hosted the ceremony in a building that was once a slave master's house. To say this is an overreaction is an understatement. Who researches the history of the building they'll be marrying in? Who knows what's gone on in a building that is never spoken about? You similarly don't know what's gone on in any church or register office that you get married in. Point is, it doesn't do these bad things now, but it's still a nice looking house to hold parties, so what's the harm? It's not like any money put into it goes toward keeping slavery going, obviously.

This is how bad cancelling's got, we're looking into insignificant stuff that doesn't matter and making ourselves feel guilty. Whose business is it where they got married? Whoever would hold something like that against them needs to take a good long look at themselves.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
anonanon
37 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Who researches the history of the building they'll be marrying in? Who knows what's gone on in a building that is never spoken about? You similarly don't know what's gone on in any church or register office that you get married in. Point is, it doesn't do these bad things now, but it's still a nice looking house to hold parties, so what's the harm? It's not like any money put into it goes toward keeping slavery going, obviously.

I'm not saying one thing or another about it, but it was literally called "Boone Hall Plantation" and the first result on Google says "Boone Hall Plantation is one of America's oldest working plantations, continually growing crops for over 320 years" and if your venue was a registered historic site I would hope you at least knew something about the history.

Edited just now by anonanon

4 minutes ago, anonanon said:

I'm not saying one thing or another about it, but it was literally called "Boone Hall Plantation" and the first result on Google says "Boone Hall Plantation is one of America's oldest working plantations, continually growing crops for over 320 years" and if your venue was a registered historic site I would hope you at least knew something about the history.

So? If it's a nice building why not appreciate the beautiful architecture, it's not like bad things are happening there today.

StrawberryBlond
2 minutes ago, anonanon said:

I'm not saying one thing or another about it, but it was literally called "Boone Hall Plantation" and the first result on Google says "Boone Hall Plantation is one of America's oldest working plantations, continually growing crops for over 320 years" 

Isn't it possible to have plantations without slaves, though? Not every rich landowner owned slaves. And even if they did, they could have used white slaves, they certainly had white servants. As far as I'm aware, people just book a venue based on how it looks and its services, really not looking into the history of it. Even if they did know, again, what's wrong with re-purposing an old building for modern usage, especially for positive stuff? I don't know what the rules are regarding American buildings but where I'm from, some historical buildings are under protections to never be pulled down, meaning that you may as well use them for whatever you want instead of leaving them empty. I don't support wastefulness so if there's a lovely big house lying empty, why not use it as a party venue? A building is what you want it to be.

anonanon

26 minutes ago, Bat said:

So? If it's a nice building why not appreciate the beautiful architecture, it's not like bad things are happening there today.

I never said my opinion on it. I was only refuting the claim that they couldn't have known it was a plantation or its history. 

24 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Isn't it possible to have plantations without slaves, though? Not every rich landowner owned slaves. And even if they did, they could have used white slaves, they certainly had white servants. As far as I'm aware, people just book a venue based on how it looks and its services, really not looking into the history of it. Even if they did know, again, what's wrong with re-purposing an old building for modern usage, especially for positive stuff? I don't know what the rules are regarding American buildings but where I'm from, some historical buildings are under protections to never be pulled down, meaning that you may as well use them for whatever you want instead of leaving them empty. I don't support wastefulness so if there's a lovely big house lying empty, why not use it as a party venue? A building is what you want it to be.

Regarding first part- technically probably. About repurposing, the public response is proof enough it is a sensitive topic and it's probably not really my place to say it's okay or be outraged about it. I was just pointing out the history wasn't as obscured as I thought you were implying.

Edit: I double checked and "plantation" as defined by historians does imply they owned (20 or more) slaves.  At any rate, that is the connotation in the U.S. regardless of technicalities. 

Edited just now by anonanon

MessyTop
1 hour ago, StrawberryBlond said:

When it said they had a plantation wedding, I thought that meant they were waited on by black servants or something. But turns out they just hosted the ceremony in a building that was once a slave master's house. To say this is an overreaction is an understatement. Who researches the history of the building they'll be marrying in? Who knows what's gone on in a building that is never spoken about? You similarly don't know what's gone on in any church or register office that you get married in. Point is, it doesn't do these bad things now, but it's still a nice looking house to hold parties, so what's the harm? It's not like any money put into it goes toward keeping slavery going, obviously.

This is how bad cancelling's got, we're looking into insignificant stuff that doesn't matter and making ourselves feel guilty. Whose business is it where they got married? Whoever would hold something like that against them needs to take a good long look at themselves.

I can see you are form them UK, slavery and the history of plantations in the US is very complicated. You saying “but it’s still a nice looking house to hold parties, what’a the harm?” Is insensitive for people of color like me. 
please educate yourself before doing comments like that. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/01/opinions/black-lives-matter-renaming-plantations-alpert-opinion/index.html

bluemonkey
3 hours ago, Bat said:

Seriously people get cancelled over this nowadays? Jeez, u can’t do anything anymore then

Wanna go to the Colesseum? Nope can’t

Wanna do something cool at the Akropolis? bye

Better not watch the Fifa world cup in Qatar than, stadium built on slavery too, but guess that won't count once everyone is cheering for their nation.

Oh and also toss your iPhone in the trash can while ur at it and burn ur Ivy Park clothing.

See this is what bugs me about cancel culture, people feel good taking down the big bad guys that they want to replicate that same feeling by digging in and finding little things to make a fuss about. its great they apologized but it shouldn’t be brought up, like who cares? All of a sudden they racist for having a wedding there? I’m sure many people have. It’s just like people trying to get rid of Gone With The Wind because of its slavery themes, like are we just gonna rewrite history then? Let’s just erase it from our minds because we can’t deal with it. 

Can you imagine going to someone’s wedding and saying that to them? That’s such a Karen thing to do.

StrawberryBlond
54 minutes ago, anonanon said:

I never said my opinion on it. I was only refuting the claim that they couldn't have known it was a plantation or its history. 

Regarding first part- technically probably. About repurposing, the public response is proof enough it is a sensitive topic and it's probably not really my place to say it's okay or be outraged about it. I was just pointing out the history wasn't as obscured as I thought you were implying.

Edit: I double checked and "plantation" as defined by historians does imply they owned (20 or more) slaves.  At any rate, that is the connotation in the U.S. regardless of technicalities. 

I guess they thought, well, it's a protected historical site, that makes it a different matter. By the looks of it, they did know but thought no one would ever look into it. Maybe an old plantation is an odd choice for a wedding venue but if you're looking for a historical building in rural America that's big enough to hold a wedding, this is pretty much all you're going to get offered. Historical buildings are very popular to hold weddings, it stands to reason not all of them will have the best history but you're there for the stunning architecture and scenary, the idea isn't to look into the venue itself. I don't think we should demonise people for simply wanting to repurpose a building in the modern age.

52 minutes ago, MessyTop said:

I can see you are form them UK, slavery and the history of plantations in the US is very complicated. You saying “but it’s still a nice looking house to hold parties, what’a the harm?” Is insensitive for people of color like me. 
please educate yourself before doing comments like that. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/01/opinions/black-lives-matter-renaming-plantations-alpert-opinion/index.html

Just because I'm not from America doesn't mean I don't know its history. My aim isn't to be insensitive, I was talking from a general point of view about how any historical building should be repurposed. I pointed out that even in "safe" venues, we still don't know what happened there that was never reported. We'd never hold a party anywhere at that rate. No one would've batted an eye if they got married in a church, despite the amount of sexual abuse that has gone on throughout the church and still goes on today. Yet, choosing to hold it at an old plantation house, where slavery happened hundreds of years ago and doesn't anymore, is somehow problematic? That's the weird double standard I'm pointing out. As long as they weren't booking it for the sick thrill of pretending to be slave masters and getting black people to wait on them, it's ultimately no different from any other house they could've held it in.

43 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

My aim isn't to be insensitive, I was talking from a general point of view about how any historical building should be repurposed. I pointed out that even in "safe" venues, we still don't know what happened there that was never reported. We'd never hold a party anywhere at that rate.

Would u have ur wedding in an ancient concentration camp? 

StrawberryBlond
23 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

No, but that's entirely different. Those areas are closed off anyway and don't have the right venue requirements. What they were used for is obviously going to make them off limits. But a house is just a house at the end of the day. I'd personally prefer a hotel or something but some people want more private arrangements so a house somewhere rural is ideal for them. Like I said, a venue is what you want it to be.

1 minute ago, StrawberryBlond said:

No, but that's entirely different. Those areas are closed off anyway and don't have the right venue requirements.

What if they did? What if they were renovated and big and perfect for your wedding, would you do it?

StrawberryBlond
1 minute ago, KanyeWest said:

What if they did? What if they were renovated and big and perfect for your wedding, would you do it?

No. That's just too dark. A place that was designed specifically for imprisoning, gassing and killing people should be preserved like a museum for educational purposes or burned to the ground. A plantation house, by comparison, was still a regular house at the end of the day, that a family lived in. You wouldn't agree with the politics that they believed in today but that doesn't mean the house in itself is bad.

10 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

No. That's just too dark. A place that was designed specifically for imprisoning, gassing and killing people should be preserved like a museum for educational purposes or burned to the ground. A plantation house, by comparison, was still a regular house at the end of the day, that a family lived in. You wouldn't agree with the politics that they believed in today but that doesn't mean the house in itself is bad.

I would describe whipping to death human beings, starving them, not giving them real names, rape, assault, mental abuse, overworking them to death, kidnapping, murder, keeping people hostage for years, is very much as dark you can get.

StrawberryBlond
5 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

I would describe whipping to death human beings, starving them, not giving them real names, rape, assault, mental abuse, overworking them to death, kidnapping, murder, keeping people hostage for years, is very much as dark you can get.

The house wasn't built specifically for that purpose, though. But I'm getting into semantics. It comes down to what you think is appropriate to use such a house for. Gary Clark Jr. shot a music video for a pro-black song in a plantation house. Is that ok?

Or is it only bad when you use the house for celebrations? As I stated earlier, it becomes hard to draw the line when you don't want to host any event somewhere that had any level of a dark history. Sexual abuse went on in churches for years and continues today, yet why does no one care if someone gets married in a church? But a plantation house, where its abuses ended hundreds of years ago, is off-limits? It all gets a bit complicated when you get into it like that. If you don't want to approve of using plantation houses for weddings, fine. But I don't think anyone who does should be considered a bad person for it.

1 hour ago, KanyeWest said:

Do ancient concentration camps host weddings in 2020? 

Archived