🚨 Watch the video for 911 🚨

💌 The September fan envelope is here! 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Google Play Music shutdown this month, music deleted in December

EuphoricVibez
Posted (edited)

Google Play Music has been given the death sentence by Google, and today the company has announced in a bit more detail about how its execution will be carried out. The main message from today's blog post is "back up your music now," as Google says it will wipe out all Google Music collections in December 2020.

We've known for a while that the shutdown would be sometime in 2020, but for most regions, Google has now narrowed it down to "October." Here's the full timeline:

• Late August - Users will no longer be able to upload or download music through Music Manager. Pre-orders and purchases will be shut down.

• September - Streaming shuts down for users in New Zealand and South Africa.

• October - Global streaming shutdown. The Google Music app and website will cease to be.

• December - Music collections get deleted.

At the time of the streaming shutdown, the app will have been showing shutdown messages for about five months. If a user has somehow missed all of those, two months with no streaming at all will hopefully be enough to get them to research what happened to Google Music.

Saving your music collection from deletion is not difficult; just go to music.youtube.com/transfer and click a few buttons to start the YouTube Music transfer process. The process is actually painless, and your Google Music account will continue to work even after the transfer. If you decide you don't want to use YouTube Music, you'll still have access to a ton of download options later, without the looming threat of the Google Music deletion.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/google-music-shutdown-starts-this-month-music-deleted-in-december/?amp=1

I guess if y'all wanna save your music from your Google Play collection, it's time to transfer it all to YouTube Music, or another music app you may have. :dom:

Edited by EuphoricVibez
Rain on me, tsunami ⛈️
  • Like 2
  • LMAO 2
  • Shook 7
  • Sad 6

RAMROD

Well, it is sad for its user. But it had writings on the wall. It is hard to compete with Spotify and Apple Music. Even most android users are using them and the google branded service. Especially Spotify.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥

pachinko

why is google doing this? What is replacing it? 

• Sad 1

EuphoricVibez
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, pachinko said:

YouTube Music, Spotify, and Apple Music are replacing it. You'll have to start using those now instead

Edited by EuphoricVibez
Rain on me, tsunami ⛈️
  • Like 1

Kimmo
Just now, pachinko said:

Umm Spotify and Apple

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29d7ea7805eed09c127e

Tragic.
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 8
  • YAAAS 1

xoxo Craig

Thats why I download music. Its not bound to a streaming service or something like that incase something like this happens

End Racism Now
  • Like 10

EuphoricVibez
1 minute ago, RAMROD said:

Well, it is sad for its user. But it had writings on the wall. It is hard to compete with Spotify and Apple Music. Even most android users are using them and the google branded service. Especially Spotify.

I still use Google Play, but for my downloaded music. I guess I'll have to find some other way to listen to it now

Rain on me, tsunami ⛈️

Reginald

Even though a subscription is free with my YouTube Premium account , I really dislike the YouTube Music app :bear: yet I also dislike Spotify. 

Heaven & Hell

Doot

Color me annoyed. :triggered:

ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏɢᴇʏᴍᴀɴ?
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

GaGaAst
3 minutes ago, Reginald said:

Even though a subscription is free with my YouTube Premium account , I really dislike the YouTube Music app :bear: yet I also dislike Spotify. 

apple or prime music then for you

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

DC

Just wait for Apple to come out with some new crazy update that changes the music streaming game just to rub it in Android's face :messga:

I'm an iPhone user btw, so :vegas:

DC

EuphoricVibez
Just now, xoxo Craig said:

Thats why I download music. Its not bound to a streaming service or something like that incase something like this happens

Same. I download my music, so I'm not bound by a streaming service even though I do use them

Rain on me, tsunami ⛈️

Doot

Sigh. Just started the transfer process. :madge:

ᴡᴀꜱ ɪᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏɢᴇʏᴍᴀɴ?
  • Sad 1

EuphoricVibez
1 minute ago, Doot said:

Sigh. Just started the transfer process. :madge:

I'm gonna have to do the same. :neyde:

Rain on me, tsunami ⛈️

half psychotic

I just transfered my library to YouTube music last week and so far I'm not a fan of it. I love Google play music and have been using it for damn near a decade :cryga:

• Like 1