šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Rina Sawayama blocked from entering British Awards

Eido

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I have a friend who has dual nationality with Japan and the US, and another whose daughter has TRIPLE nationality with the US, Canada, and Japan.Ā 

For Rina, it sounds like the problem is on the UK's side, not with Japan.Ā 

You can have dual nationality by birth (by location is forbidden by the Japanese state) until the age of 22, then you have the obligation to chose. So you should ask you friend if they chose because depensing on their age, they might have lost it and they don't even know

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
President Biden

:yennefer:maybe we should end segregated awards like ā€œMale Artistā€ or the entire BET Awards.Ā 

Ā 

:haroon:Segregation ainā€™t cute

I got drunk

Queen of Pop

I agree. The issue is more with Japan not allowing you to have two passports than it is with the awards shows

Wet Fire

And it's especially sad because she's better than most of the artists who are british citizensĀ :ohwell:

venusfly

Japan not allowing dual nationality is an issue but it's not as brazen as the BRITs being aware of the issue and still denying her based on technicalities. nothing but racism on their part. it is SO much easier for them to change the guidelines for an awards show than it is to change citizenship law for a country.Ā 

Lona Delery

Rina sis u can apply for british citizenship anyway, just dont tell the japanese u did - i have some japanese friends who have 2 passports and its no problem as long as u dont mention it to someone from ur local embassy or immigration/customs whenever urĀ in Japan. Don't ask, don't tell

but other than that, it is pretty jarring how she is excluded from these awards - i kind of see the point of keeping them British artist exlusive obviously, but i think there are better ways of assessing if someone is eligible or not than just their passport

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind, I wanna get off but I keep riding the ride

FentyGa
12 minutes ago, President Biden said:

:yennefer:maybe we should end segregated awards like ā€œMale Artistā€ or the entire BET Awards.Ā 

Ā 

:haroon:Segregation ainā€™t cute

the BET awards are so important

most award shows devalue blpoc, so having an award show especially for black people, created and led by them, is major. besides, itā€™s just like the latin grammys, for instance-minorities have their own different cultures, and celebrating them and the music that represents them is not a bad thing or an attempt at ā€œā€ā€segregationā€ā€ā€.

Louie

I'm a bit confused...

Gaga was invited by Brits awards shows and won on a couple awards and yet Rina can't? Why not make her an international artist like Gaga and otherĀ artists?

1 minute ago, Louie said:

I'm a bit confused...

Gaga was invited by Brits awards shows and won on a couple awards and yet Rina can't? Why not make her an international artist like Gaga and otherĀ artists?

I think it's because she is signed and produced by a UK companyĀ 

RAMROD
40 minutes ago, adterp said:

Meanwhile Charli XCX has lived in USA for 5+ years, produced and recorded her most recents works in LA and managed to get into BRITS shortlist. Not blaming her in any way butĀ itĀ really shows how citizenship rules are absurd when it comes to reward "national" artists and work when it's based on identity papers only.Ā 

Are they gonna make the reach to nominate her in the international categories?Ā 

Ā 

I don't think that is valid argument. Cos in the end Charli is still a Briton, she don't have US Citizenship yet, soĀ she never gave it up for another. She can live here in the US with a green card, but a green card only allows you to reside and work in USA, you still not getting things that US Nationals have, such as the rights for voting in elections.Ā Besides,Ā UK allows dual citizenship so the situation is very different here.

(ļ¾‰ā—•ćƒ®ā—•)ļ¾‰āœ§*:ļ½„ļ¾Ÿ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*Ā“č‰øļ½€*) ā™”ā™”ā™”

OMonster
25 minutes ago, Louie said:

I'm a bit confused...

It's because the BRITS have international categories, like 'Best International Female' ect, which is what Gaga has been nominated for in the past.Ā 

Rina can't be nominated for those because she's not known enough, internationally, for that level of recognition - despite being an 'international' (or 'non-British')Ā artist.Ā 

She isn'tĀ eligible for the general 'Best Female / album', however, because she's not technically a British citizen, and that award is for British citizens only. It's an administrative error that should be corrected, imo.Ā 

subtext / fantasy

RudraCNG

The point is notĀ to discuss about Japan allowingĀ her to have double nationality or not. She has lived almost her entire life in Britain, she writes and produces all her stuff in BritainĀ yet those British academies don't allow her to be eligible for their awards. Clearly they should change that rule or make exceptions for cases like Rina's.

audrey horne
11 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Ā 

I don't think that is valid argument. Cos in the end Charli is still a Briton, she don't have US Citizenship yet, soĀ she never gave it up for another. She can live here in the US with a green card, but a green card only allows you to reside and work in USA, you still not getting things that US Nationals have, such as the rights for voting in elections.Ā Besides,Ā UK allows dual citizenship so the situation is very different here.

I mean Rina is justĀ as Briton. The only difference isĀ a piece of paperĀ and UK awards shows unwillingness to recognize their own talent because of bureaucracy'sĀ segregativeĀ subtleties. If they really wanted to give every Brit the same chance, they would have changed their guidelines long ago.Ā 

Archived