đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Idris Elba: Racist Movies & TVs Shouldn't Be Censored

RAMROD

Featured Posts

I’m wondering if older episodes of Family Guy will be pulled, in the UK they still are pretty frequently and still include racist/stereotypes jokes.

mariomania1234

I fully agree. Censorship is dangerous. Context and nuance must always be taken into account.

Ricardo
37 minutes ago, alicefromabove said:

In my opinion, instead of censoring them, they should include a warning message that educates people about racism and how these values are not shared in today's society. 

this! :applause:

StarstruckIllusion
13 minutes ago, JOSHMATICA said:

I’m wondering if older episodes of Family Guy will be pulled, in the UK they still are pretty frequently and still include racist/stereotypes jokes.

Honestly... why isn’t it the audience’s responsibility to decipher what’s truth or not from comedy skits? I’ve watched some seriously offensive things growing up, but like even as a kid I was like “this is all jokes, lemme not assume ___ are as ___ as the person said. I don’t think a comedian should be responsible for his god-given audience’s stupidity tbh...

JRCF29
22 minutes ago, Twitter said:

Why exactly would he be canceled? :oprah:

49 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

He will not be cancelled. 

52 minutes ago, papergangster said:

Why would he be cancelled? 

Because the cancel culture will come for anyone and everyone who doesn't toe the party line; Party line= remove any and all episodes of TV shows deemed racially insensitive.  I'm not saying he should be canceled by any stretch of the imagination- on the contrary I was highlighting how ridiculous >90% of cancellations are. 

Don't Call Me Gaga

10 minutes ago, JRCF29 said:

Because the cancel culture will come for anyone and everyone who doesn't toe the party line; Party line= remove any and all episodes of TV shows deemed racially insensitive.  I'm not saying he should be canceled by any stretch of the imagination- on the contrary I was highlighting how ridiculous >90% of cancellations are. 

Idris Elba isn’t someone that people would cancel quickly. I think its more about racism than cancel culture. 

Oriane

I agree, it's important to keep them to have a reminder that it existed in the first place. Just as we have a lot of racist of propaganda movies from the 20th century, they shouldn't be watched for the content in itself but to understand this period of time, how things were made and how we evolved from there.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

JRCF29
2 minutes ago, Dulo Peep said:

omgg guys, you knew that Idris is a DJ too? he is super hot

He did a Glastonbury set didn't he

Don't Call Me Gaga

elijahfan
44 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

It's not freedom of speech per say maybe he didnt use the right words, but I agree in keeping the episode intact and putting a warning before it. It's interesting for the next generation to see what people did back then 

Exactly, it's by seeing our mistakes that we can learn from them and hopefully not repeat them. You don't learn anything by putting stuff under the rug, it's actually an insult to people's intelligence and a disservice to future generations.

vyniildisk
1 minute ago, JRCF29 said:

He did a Glastonbury set didn't he

and open for Madonna and Jay Z tours!

1 hour ago, Twitter said:

Nothing he said was incorrect? 

It's his opinion so it can never be correct or incorrect. 

“I’m very much a believer in freedom of speech,” Elba said. “But the thing about freedom of speech is that it’s not suitable for everybody. That’s why we have a rating system. 

To me this implies that ignorance, racism etc in any art form is "freedom of speech which I don't agree with but I have a feeling my understanding could be off. That's why I think the use of "freedom of speech" could be the wrong words he chose 

7 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

It's his opinion so it can never be correct or incorrect. 

“I’m very much a believer in freedom of speech,” Elba said. “But the thing about freedom of speech is that it’s not suitable for everybody. That’s why we have a rating system. 

To me this implies that ignorance, racism etc in any art form is "freedom of speech which I don't agree with but I have a feeling my understanding could be off. That's why I think the use of "freedom of speech" could be the wrong words he chose 

I still don’t see anything wrong with that statement. Many white Americans been defending their wrongdoings, ignorance, and racist behavior as freedom of speech. 

Archived