⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
politics

7/14 Primary Results

JRCF29

Maine

In Maine’s Democratic Senate Primary, State House Speaker Sara Gideon defeated activist Betsy Sweet and lawyer Bre Kidman, winning almost 70% of the vote. She advances to face Senator Susan Collins (R) in November. 

In Maine’s Second District Republican Primary, former State Rep. Dale Crafts leads his nearest opponent, former LePage spokesperson Adrienne Bennett, by about 15 points; former State Senator and GOP nominee for U.S Senate in 2018 Eric Brandy has conceded the race. Under Maine’s RCV method, Brakey’s votes will be eliminated and whoever voters chose as their second place candidate will get those votes added to their totals. 

Alabama 

In the state’s lone election, a Republican Senate Runoff, former Senator and ex-Attorney General Jeff Sessions was crushed by Trump-backed football coach Tommy Tuberville. Tuberville advances to take on centrist Democrat Doug Jones, who is considered extremely vulnerable in the Republican-friendly state.

Texas 

On a busy night in the Lone Star State, the Democratic Senate Runoff was closer than expected, as longtime State Senator Royce West narrowly lost to military pilot MJ Hegar, whose support from establishment Democrats overcame Royce’s strong showing in the Dallas area. Hegar will face Senator John Cornyn (R) in an uphill battle to turn Texas blue. 

Elsewhere, former White House physician Dr. Ronny Jackson rallied Republican voters in the 13th District GOP runoff and will try and ride the Trump wave to block a Democratic flip of the seat courtesy of Gus Trujillo, who didn’t give progressives the answer on monuments that they were looking for; in the 22nd District GOP runoff, popular Sheriff Troy Nehls breezed past Kathaleen Wall, a longtime conservative activist who drew scorn from state operatives for launching attack ads against Nehls even though she had no real chance of winning, as many in the party thought the intra-party criticism would help Democrats make their case in November; In the state’s neighboring  24th District Democratic Primary, Candace Valenzuela, an educator and local politician bested Kim Olson for the right to face Republican Beth Van Duyne, running out of Irving (where she was once mayor). Valenzuela is no progressive (she won’t support the Green New Deal and though she wants to expand Medicaid, support for single-payer is absent from her campaign pages) but she has been endorsed by left-wing leaders such as Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA). 

All in all, a great night for President Trump, as his picks in competitive primaries prevailed, but a bad night for progressive activists as Medicare-for-All proponent Betsy Sweet fell in Maine, and “Texas Democrat” (see: extremely moderate Democrat) Trujillo- will be the party’s candidate in an open Texas seat, and not Greg Sagan, a committed universal healthcare supporter. 

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Sad 2

NathanC

Any chance Gideon will defeat Collins?

nathantj594

Gideon is the Democrat’s best chance of beating Silly Susie in Maine and the voters overwhelmingly agreed. Would said “progressive activists” rather have a Democrat in that seat or a Republican who has voted for Trump’s agenda more than she hasn’t? How hurt could “progressive activists” be when the best chance of unseating the woman who put a frat boy gang r*pist who wants to strip away Roe V Wade on the Supreme Court won tonight? I’m baffled at that comment. Who are these “progressive activists” anyway? Pissed off BernieBro twitter users? There didn’t seem to be many voting in Maine today...

And Paula Abdul ain’t got [BLEEP] on me!

nathantj594
9 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Susie has solidly relied on a voter base of women and she has been a longtime supporter of a woman’s right to choose what she does with her body. Her vote to confirm Beer Kav-enough to SCOTUS who is anything but was enough for most of them to jump, then it came out that she accepted money from groups tied to restricting abortion access. Then she voted to acquit Trump after saying she was “very troubled” by the accusations against him. She’s a hypocrite and the worst female senator in history. I’d take 6 Blanche Lincolns before I’d trust Silly Susie to ever govern in my best interest again. 

Going to Gideon, she is very popular with Collins’ usual voter base. She’s been raising truckloads of money. She’s been a very adept Speaker of the Maine House. Mainstream Republican voters (aka Cheeto worshippers) don’t like Susie and she won’t get his endorsement and if she does, she’d be crazy to embrace it. The race is going to come down to two things: Susie’s abysmal voting record in the Trump years and the incumbency advantage. Gideon hasn’t been very balls to the wall in the primary with plans and ideas, but now I’ll expect her to start pulling away with it since she has the democratic voters’ confidence and they’ll be asking for some. I don’t think it will be a blowout, but I’m not expecting Susie to keep her seat. 

And Paula Abdul ain’t got [BLEEP] on me!

Karl

How come in America a football coach and a pilot can be in charge of running a country? I don't get it :messga: 

• Thanks 2

JRCF29
9 hours ago, nathantj594 said:

I’m baffled at that comment.

what comment?

Don't Call Me Gaga

JRCF29
9 hours ago, NathanC said:

I view this race as a toss-up

Don't Call Me Gaga
  • Like 1

JRCF29
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, nathantj594 said:

Susie has solidly relied on a voter base of women and she has been a longtime supporter of a woman’s right to choose what she does with her body. Her vote to confirm Beer Kav-enough to SCOTUS who is anything but was enough for most of them to jump, then it came out that she accepted money from groups tied to restricting abortion access. Then she voted to acquit Trump after saying she was “very troubled” by the accusations against him. She’s a hypocrite and the worst female senator in history. I’d take 6 Blanche Lincolns before I’d trust Silly Susie to ever govern in my best interest again. 

Going to Gideon, she is very popular with Collins’ usual voter base. She’s been raising truckloads of money. She’s been a very adept Speaker of the Maine House. Mainstream Republican voters (aka Cheeto worshippers) don’t like Susie and she won’t get his endorsement and if she does, she’d be crazy to embrace it. The race is going to come down to two things: Susie’s abysmal voting record in the Trump years and the incumbency advantage. Gideon hasn’t been very balls to the wall in the primary with plans and ideas, but now I’ll expect her to start pulling away with it since she has the democratic voters’ confidence and they’ll be asking for some. I don’t think it will be a blowout, but I’m not expecting Susie to keep her seat. 

Susan Collins already has President Trump's endorsement, not sure how you missed that. Gideon has long been the presumptive nominee, and even though she only won the primary last night, that's not an excuse for her to have been MIA on "plans and ideas." I think that Senator Collins' brand in Maine is much stronger than those that don't live here would like to admit/give her credit for, and I've seen internal polling recently showing her up by 8 points. She's been ranked the most bipartisan Senator in the country for 7 years in a row and that's something that Maine's voters have historically valued and rewarded. Collins' recent authorship of the Paycheck Protection Program, which is very popular, should also boost her in this race.

All this said, it is true that Collins is in the fight of her political life this cycle. In the past she's face now-Rep. Chellie Pingree, then-Rep. Tom Allen, and Shenna Bellows, each of which she dispatched with easily; Sara Gideon will not be dispatched with easily and her mammoth cash haul makes her a formidable foe. Maine is a left-leaning state and Gideon will be making (and has already been making) a play for the wide swath of independent voters who are turned off by the Republican Party as a whole. As it has already, I expect Collins' Kavanaugh vote and her impeachment vote to feature heavily in this contest and any future debates. The state party will be fighting very hard for her, and Democrats are unified around her (she won her primary in commanding fashion, 70%+ of the vote)- but the state GOP will also be ready to do battle for Collins. 

It is going to be an expensive and tight race, there's no doubt about it, but it is firmly in the Toss-Up category right now. 

Edited by JRCF29
Don't Call Me Gaga